Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Penn State's Impact on Women's Hockey

Originally posted by giwan View Post
    Had a chance to read some CA papers this weekend as some of the sports editors really hammered JoePa, PSU and US college sports in general. Yet only two reporters brought up as a reminder what happened to Theo Fleury and others.

Not sure what CA statistics are but in the US for approx every 10,000 in population there are 24 registered pedophiles. I would guess similar stats in CA but not sure. Imagine how many unregistered, meaning not caught there are. If you don't think things like this are happening in and around your local organizations you are fooling yourself.
    Unfortunately it takes something like this to happen before people will talk or do anything about it. Hopefully, steps will be taken at all schools to help curb all types of abuse. As you say, it's there; the problem is people are too afraid of the consequences that squealing might bring. You have to stand up to protect others, not just yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
      Unfortunately it takes something like this to happen before people will talk or do anything about it. Hopefully, steps will be taken at all schools to help curb all types of abuse. As you say, it's there; the problem is people are too afraid of the consequences that squealing might bring. You have to stand up to protect others, not just yourself.
      100% agree with that. It's people like Fleury and Kennedy who shed the light on some of the the stuff that goes on in minor hockey. Often times it is people in positions of "perceived" power that get away with it. It takes guts and courage for victims to report your superiors inappropriate behaviour to their superiors or the authorities. It was really encouraging to see the support for the victims during the game Saturday, and it takes something likes this on a grand scale to bring about change for the better.

I was in the US this past weekend, and listened to various great interviews on various radio programs during my travels. This included interviews with the governer of PA and PSU alum Franco Harris, both of whom are clearly on the page of due process to get all the facts on the table and then make the required changes in policies and procedures to safeguard against this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
        I was in the US this past weekend, and listened to various great interviews on various radio programs during my travels. This included interviews with the governer of PA and PSU alum Franco Harris, both of whom are clearly on the page of due process to get all the facts on the table and then make the required changes in policies and procedures to safeguard against this stuff.
        http://generationysports.com/?p=11921
        Above link is to a list of those on the Honorary Board of Directors of Sandusky's charity, where you find none other than Franco Harris. The Governor to whom you refer was the Attorney General that sat on all this info until he could run for and be elected Governor. Not so sure these are the types I would trust to get the facts ON the table.

Comment

Often times it is people in positions of "perceived" power that get away with it. It takes guts and courage for victims to report your superiors inappropriate behaviour to their superiors or the authorities.
          The real problem is that to the victims, the perpetrator's power is all too real, not just perceived. Children are raised to trust those in the roles of teachers, coaches, activity leaders, clergy, and worst of all, family members, so that they often don't recognize the beginnings of abuse until too late. The ideal would be if the children could detect and avoid potential situations of abuse before they happen. While improvements in the process of reporting abuse help to avoid future cases, it still means that a child has already been hurt.

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
          Above link is to a list of those on the Honorary Board of Directors of Sandusky's charity, where you find none other than Franco Harris. ... Not so sure these are the types I would trust to get the facts ON the table.
          Honorary Board of Directors sounds like a case of Harris allowing his name to be used in association with a charitable cause. I don't think that amount of involvement indicates that he would likely have had knowledge of criminal activity involving Sandusky. All types of people commit all sorts of crimes without everyone that they meet along the way becoming aware of their activities.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            The real problem is that to the victims, the perpetrator's power is all too real, not just perceived. Children are raised to trust those in the roles of teachers, coaches, activity leaders, clergy, and worst of all, family members, so that they often don't recognize the beginnings of abuse until too late. The ideal would be if the children could detect and avoid potential situations of abuse before they happen. While improvements in the process of reporting abuse help to avoid future cases, it still means that a child has already been hurt.

Honorary Board of Directors sounds like a case of Harris allowing his name to be used in association with a charitable cause. I don't think that amount of involvement indicates that he would likely have had knowledge of criminal activity involving Sandusky. All types of people commit all sorts of crimes without everyone that they meet along the way becoming aware of their activities.
            I think it was established earlier though, that something needs to be done about what is ALREADY out there. People need to get involved; we must scrap the fear. Prevention goes without saying.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              Extremely well put. Your first two sentences state the problem very clearly.

I've long thought that, in general, one of the best things that a parent can do in raising a child, for the child and for society as a whole, is to teach the child to initially give the minimum required benefit of the doubt and therefore, the minimum required amount of respect, to the people who occupy positions of authority simply because those people have jobs to do and that is what is required (in other words they must be given that minimum amount of slack) for the "system" to work...and from that point onward it is up to the person who occupies such a position to earn any further respect...but to never, ever, ever under any circumstances be intimidated by a person who occupies such a position.

I realize that at the outset there's a fine line between the two but with some conscious consistent effort and application the concept comes into clearer focus and the line becomes a lot thicker in a relatively short period of time. Add to that a healthy dose of consistent positive reinforcement from an early age in an effort to build self esteem and a sense of identity in the child and, while not being a cure-all, it will go a long way to giving a child some ammunition to draw on in an attempt to protect and extricate themselves from trying circumstances such as this.

A parent owes that to their child and this is part of the obligation of parenting.

Comment

Many of the children came from broken homes and whatnot. They were problem kids that never really had a chance. He preyed upon their weakness.

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
                  Many of the children came from broken homes and whatnot. They were problem kids that never really had a chance. He preyed upon their weakness.
                  Stunned that he did a national interview. Understand of course him denying everything but just didn't get why interview. Some of his answers were just creepy.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                    Stunned that he did a national interview. Understand of course him denying everything but just didn't get why interview. Some of his answers were just creepy.
                    No kidding… Sandusky wants to be remembered as the guy who said “I like young people” ?!?1?

Comment

100% agree with that. It's people like Fleury and Kennedy who shed the light on some of the the stuff that goes on in minor hockey. Often times it is people in positions of "perceived" power that get away with it. It takes guts and courage for victims to report your superiors inappropriate behaviour to their superiors or the authorities. It was really encouraging to see the support for the victims during the game Saturday, and it takes something likes this on a grand scale to bring about change for the better.

What it comes down to, in my book, is that any organization that deals with minors on a regular basis needs to make sure that ALL personnel are educated/trained in how to recognize and handle situations where child molesters/abusers act.

This comes from a parent who spent a couple years as a Boy Scout leader where before we were allowed to guide, we were given training on how to deal with exactly these types of things, as BSA has had quite a few incidents of this nature over the years, unfortunately. The first rule that was drilled into our heads - Two-deep leadership at ALL times NO exceptions. Always 2 adults present when children are in the area.

And even with this, opportunities for abuse exist - mostly verbal abuse when you have adults who aren't exactly good leaders who demoralize impressionable young men who are still maturing. I saw it and when my son didn't find the environment to be supportive, we decided to leave that social situation. We had much more supportive situation in his earlier years (Cub Scouts) with a different set of dads in a different state.

And BTW, I sent my daughter to a summer camp on campus run by Penn State coaches when she was very young. She had a great time and had only positive experiences as I remember her telling me. I was a much less experienced parent at that time, but even then, I checked out the people running the program by talking to folks who had sent their child to that camp. Even then I was reasonably well-networked in girls hockey and could call people I knew to get references. What scares me it that often these people are better at hiding things than we think. I can't imagine the parents of these poor boys were nearly as sophisticated (IIRC these programs were serving disadvantaged youth) as I was in doing research.

As much as we want to assign personal repsonsibility for the tragedy at Penn State to the individuals involved, it takes an organizational effort to make sure everyone is trained and prepared to deal with the situations that arise when dealing with youth. I believe if the folks at Penn State were better trained in these things, the outcome may have been less tragic for later campers. Let's hope Penn State and all institutions dealing with our youth learn from this and institute safeguards against these kinds of situations.

Comment

• Originally posted by NoGo View Post
                        No kidding… Sandusky wants to be remembered as the guy who said “I like young people” ?!?1?
                        The name of his book is "Touched".

Comment

Originally posted by pakidnyc View Post
                          The name of his book is "Touched".
                          I rest my case...

Comment

Originally posted by notfromaroundhere View Post
                            - Two-deep leadership at ALL times NO exceptions. Always 2 adults present when children are in the area.
                            We always employed the Two Deep Philosophy within our minor hockey association. Always at least two adults when in the dressing room with the players. Coaches were always informed of this requirement at the start of the season.

Comment

http://www.therepublic.com/view/stor...y-State-Grant/
                              Report in a Pittsburgh paper concerning actions by PA Governors Rendell and Corbett approving a $3,000,000 grant to Sandusky's charity.

Comment

Working...
                              X