Penn State's Impact on Women's Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NoGo View Post
    Let me first say that what has happened at State College, PA it is sad and will far reaching implications for all sports. The $$ is committed to the hockey program, but are the players? Look at Lindenwood and the beating they have taken this year. Penn State’s club team tied Chatham twice? Could not even beat the Cougars? Even once? Then this other stuff?

it maybe the football program, but it has fingers that go into the other sports…I am waiting to see the imact this will have.
    The Penn St club team tied a NCAA d3 team. How is that a bad thing? The recruits there now were what they had. The coach wasnt even hired unti May. I think next year's recruiting class and beyond will be different.

Comment

• Re: Penn State's Impact on Women's Hockey

Originally posted by NoGo View Post
      Let me first say that what has happened at State College, PA it is sad and will far reaching implications for all sports. The $$ is committed to the hockey program, but are the players? Look at Lindenwood and the beating they have taken this year. Penn State’s club team tied Chatham twice? Could not even beat the Cougars? Even once? Then this other stuff?

it maybe the football program, but it has fingers that go into the other sports…I am waiting to see the imact this will have.
      I haven't heard anything about this whole thing being connected to any other sport at Penn State. The football season's almost over, but the board of trustees has to forget sports and do what's right. What Paterno is doing is asking the board to at least give him the dignity of leaving on his own terms and not fire him before the season ends. He'll be extremely lucky if they agree to that. He may be a god on campus, but he blew this big time. Big time.

The Penn State club team has nothing to do with the Division I teams they'll put together.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        I think it's "too early to tell" how it will affect PSU over the longer term. We do know that football is THE revenue generator and it's certainly very possible that the athletic department's gross revenues will take a hit, at least over the near term. But I agree with JPS above - they will clean house (hopefully immediately) of anyone and everyone that had anything to do with this whole SICK episode and then they'll be able to move on.

But, as to how many would be future donors this might affect, I don't think anyone really knows yet.
        I think the couple that made the donation to set up Penn State hockey are also owners or part owners of the Buffalo Sabres. Not entirely sure about that but I thought I read somewhere that they are affiliated with the Sabres.

I agree that it is impossible to know what the future holds as far as donations are concerned. This is an opportunity for the hockey program to help rehab the image and perception of the University by conducting themselves with class and dignity both on and off the ice. I wish them the best.

Comment

If a person is witness to a crime; does nothing; then admits it; what then? Quickly announce your retirement, and hope it will go away like before? Should a man of his stature be expected to know better; should he be charged? He'll now be forced to speak up to protect his arse or his dignity, and so will a lot of other people. This will get ugly. PSU damage control alert!

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
            If a person is witness to a crime; does nothing; then admits it; what then? Quickly announce your retirement, and hope it will go away like before? Should a man of his stature be expected to know better;
            JP, or anyone in a similar position should certainly know better and I'd have to say, he should absolutely be held accountable IMO. Don't believe he actually witnessed the crime though. Since he apparently became aware of the crime and failed to notify law enforcement, just like anyone else who had knowledge of the allegations, he's on the hook. Since he apparently admitted his own huge "mistake" (I didn't hear his admission personally) which could very possibly implicate him criminally as well, I'm not sure what he can say to preserve his dignity or cover his rear...or escape more serious repercussions than retirement.
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Breaking News: It was just announced that Joe Paterno has been fired.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                JP, or anyone in a similar position should certainly know better and I'd have to say, he should absolutely be held accountable IMO. Don't believe he actually witnessed the crime though. Since he apparently became aware of the crime and failed to notify law enforcement, just like anyone else who had knowledge of the allegations, he's on the hook. Since he apparently admitted his own huge "mistake" (I didn't hear his admission personally) which could very possibly implicate him criminally as well, I'm not sure what he can say to preserve his dignity or cover his rear...or escape more serious repercussions than retirement.
                He can tell the truth....... his rear might be less punishment or jail time. Isn't that how it works? The first to squeal has a good meal.

Comment

He can tell the truth....... his rear might be less punishment or jail time. Isn't that how it works? The first to squeal has a good meal.
                  From what I understand, he didn't "squeal" to the proper authorities so I have no idea how much consideration he might receive in any criminal prosecution. Less punishment than who / what? The perpetrator? Yes, I suppose so. Who knows...maybe he'll avoid any real or significant punishment...like your typical professional athlete or celebrity often does in America.

Then there are the civil liability issues.

Edit: He kinda missed his opportunity to tell the truth at the point in time when he should have.
                  Last edited by brookyone; 11-09-2011, 10:19 PM.
                  Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                    From what I understand, he didn't "squeal" to the proper authorities so I have no idea how much consideration he might receive in any criminal prosecution. Less punishment than who / what? The perpetrator? Yes, I suppose so. Who knows...maybe he'll avoid any real or significant punishment...like your typical professional athlete or celebrity often does in America.

Then there are the civil liability issues.

Edit: He kinda missed his opportunity to tell the truth at the point in time when he should have.
                    Truth is stranger than fiction. Lots of that in the justice system. When your back is up against the wall, well you know. At 86 though, would he be up for all the crap he'll have to endure. Let's make a deal.

Comment

Truth is stranger than fiction. Lots of that in the justice system. When your back is up against the wall, well you know. At 86 though, would he be up for all the crap he'll have to endure. Let's make a deal.
                      If some of these other bits and pieces are true that are coming out, I believe there could be drastic changes. Pimping out kids to major donors?!! Hopefully it was a reporter trying to sensationalize things even more.

Comment

Apparently Pegula's commitment is as "strong as ever" according to an assistant sport director at PSU. I wonder if Pegula actually used those words at this unfortunate time. If he did, he has more money than brains. Timing is everything.

Comment

Anyone commenting on the case without having read the grand jury report should do the basics (something all of the Penn State principals are now wishing they had done) and read the report. It is only 23 pages.

It is pretty grisly stuff and no one involved, including the football coach, the AD, and the university president comes off looking good.

Civil liability and criminal culpability be danged. They all had a personal human moral responsibility. I read somewhere today that if it had been JoePa's grandson in the shower do you think he would have failed to follow up?
                          Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                            Anyone commenting on the case without having read the grand jury report should do the basics (something all of the Penn State principals are now wishing they had done) and read the report. It is only 23 pages.It is pretty grisly stuff and no one involved, including the football coach, the AD, and the university president comes off looking good.Civil liability and criminal culpability be danged. They all had a personal human moral responsibility. I read somewhere today that if it had been JoePa's grandson in the shower do you think he would have failed to follow up?
                            There is now further info coming out that JoePa DID follow up and more then once. I read that grand jury report and it still does not explain many things. It reads like the notes taken at a board meeting of a corp. There is as always MORE TO THE STORY.

Comment

Sorry for the inconvenience while we were closed for renovations. Now open for business.

Comment

Sorry for the inconvenience while we were closed for renovations. Now open for business.
                                Had a chance to read some CA papers this weekend as some of the sports editors really hammered JoePa, PSU and US college sports in general. Yet only two reporters brought up as a reminder what happened to Theo Fleury and others.

Not sure what CA statistics are but in the US for approx every 10,000 in population there are 24 registered pedophiles. I would guess similar stats in CA but not sure. Imagine how many unregistered, meaning not caught there are. If you don't think things like this are happening in and around your local organizations you are fooling yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X