Ecac-e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ecac-e

So let's take a look at the goalie situation at Norwich....last year the Cadets allowed just on average 19 shots per game. Our goalie who played last year had a save percentage of .90. If he does not improve at all that might translate into something like 2.9 goals per game average. The Cadets averaged 4.3 goals per game in the scoring department. Looks like it could be closer than last year, but I am betting that our goalie improves over last year. With virtually the same offense back along with a couple of nice scoring additions, we should be just fine:

Originally posted by hawkhockey View Post
    I somewhat agree with the Norwich pick,although, the goalie situation is unclear.the goalie,last year, made the difference,so we'll see.
    What is the behind the support for Castleton? 9-12-5 last year, and now challenging for the top?
    Babson should be in the mix,and although St.A's can't be in the tournament,
    they lost 2 players from last year's team,the ECACE player of the year is back, and had a solid recruiting year.they could be a spoiler.
    Cadet Crosby '63

Comment

Originally posted by hawkhockey View Post
      I somewhat agree with the Norwich pick,although, the goalie situation is unclear.the goalie,last year, made the difference,so we'll see.
      What is the behind the support for Castleton? 9-12-5 last year, and now challenging for the top?
      Babson should be in the mix,and although St.A's can't be in the tournament,
      they lost 2 players from last year's team,the ECACE player of the year is back, and had a solid recruiting year.they could be a spoiler.
      I agree with all the comments. I haven't seen the new Castleton recruits play but just take a look at the Junior A leagues they came from:
      CCHL
      OJAHL
      CJHL
      AJHL
      SJHL
      MJHL
      WSHL
      NAHL

The recruit leagues are almost like a map of Canada and are the source of many top players. St. A's should be very competitive in the interlock this year. Any chance the school will drop the athletic programs down to D3 to help the hockey program?
      2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
      2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

I have a great idea, why don't you hold your breath until they make that change

Originally posted by hawk View Post
        I agree with all the comments. I haven't seen the new Castleton recruits play but just take a look at the Junior A leagues they came from:
        CCHL
        OJAHL
        CJHL
        AJHL
        SJHL
        MJHL
        WSHL
        NAHL

The recruit leagues are almost like a map of Canada and are the source of many top players. St. A's should be very competitive in the interlock this year. Any chance the school will drop the athletic programs down to D3 to help the hockey program?
        Cadet Crosby '63

Comment

Charlie, Charlie, Charlie, don't tease us all that way....
          Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by CROSBYNU63 View Post
            I have a great idea, why don't you hold your breath until they make that change
            I must be missing a little of the inside discussion on the future of the ECAC East and the D2 teams in the league. It should be a shame for a New England small college hockey program with such a great history and facility to leave a top D3 league. I have watched a few Norwich D3 basketball games and it doesn't seem much different then the ball played at St. Mike's.

Comment

Hawk

You sir, are not a judge of either basketball or hockey talent.
              Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Re: Hawk

Great to see you this summer, why don't you move up here, we could use some support.

Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
                You sir, are not a judge of either basketball or hockey talent.
                Cadet Crosby '63

Comment

I expect the East to be strong this year. Norwich will be strong as usual. NEC should be better after a down year. I like the comparison to the Swedish B team. Castleton is Castleton. They take everyone and their mother and hope that after a tryout of about 60 guys they can narrow it down to a cohesive squad. Some years this works some years it doesn't. Southern Maine and Babson are well coached and formidable every year. Babson seems to always be around at the end of the year. St A's looks weak on paper. Umass Boston had a lackluster finish last year but they are competitive every year these days. I see St. Mikes finishing second to last and UNE picking up a couple of more wins but staying in the basement. That leaves Skidmore who is flying under the radar. Coach Sinclair has a strong core and, after a few years of .500 hockey, should surprise teams. They did not lose a heck of a lot and have a deep freshman class. I see Skidmore in the top four with a home playoff game come February.

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                  There are a lot of teams in the east that appear to have good recruiting classes. Castleton recruited a lot of talent but who knows if they will be productive until the first game. NEC was down a little last year but the Sweeden B team could suprise. Norwich has lot of talent but the goalie position will be a question mark until after the Primelink with two high school goalies on the roster. Southern Maine, Babson, Skidmore, and UMass Boston are always tough. St. A's was very competitive last year and has a good program. Norwich should be considered the favorite but after that anyone could suprise. I am guessing the east will do very well in the interlock especially if Castleton proves to be a force this year.

Comment

This year should be Norwich and then everyone else.....just too strong right now.

Comment

As far as I know Castleton has not made any cuts in 4 years. I think when they first got started a a few years ago they cut some walk-ons but I have heard that all of Coach Todd's players have graduated in 4 years with the exception of a few transfers. You may be confused with UMass Boston or NEC they have large rosters with lots of turnover.

Based on what I have heard about the campus improvements I would not be surprised if they start having to make a lot of cuts at Castleton as I think a lot of players are going to want to go there.

As far as the entire league goes look for all East teams to have good years against NESCAC teams as I am sure they are a little upset about the treatment they got from that league. After that I think NEC will struggle this year they graduated too much. Babson and Skidmore will be very good but not even close to the Defending Champs Norwich.
                      Nowich #1 - Skid and Babson battle for #2 - USME and Castleton battle for 4th then UMass Boston then NEC then UNE.

Originally posted by NorthCountry6 View Post
                      I expect the East to be strong this year. Norwich will be strong as usual. NEC should be better after a down year. I like the comparison to the Swedish B team. Castleton is Castleton. They take everyone and their mother and hope that after a tryout of about 60 guys they can narrow it down to a cohesive squad. Some years this works some years it doesn't. Southern Maine and Babson are well coached and formidable every year. Babson seems to always be around at the end of the year. St A's looks weak on paper. Umass Boston had a lackluster finish last year but they are competitive every year these days. I see St. Mikes finishing second to last and UNE picking up a couple of more wins but staying in the basement. That leaves Skidmore who is flying under the radar. Coach Sinclair has a strong core and, after a few years of .500 hockey, should surprise teams. They did not lose a heck of a lot and have a deep freshman class. I see Skidmore in the top four with a home playoff game come February.

Comment

Looking at the Ecac East I would think UNE second year players would help make the team more productive this year. Whether this turns into more wins we will have to wait and see.
                        Last edited by hawk; 10-13-2010, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthCountry6 View Post
                          re:St.A's,what paper are you looking at?Graduated two players(1D,1Goalie) and are returning their top 10 point scorers,including AA and ECACE player of the year and 5 of 6 defensemen and they look weak.finished second in the league.Help me with this observation.

Comment

St. A's was very competitive with Norwich in the game I saw last year. In the end Norwich had too much of everything to close out the game.

Comment

Castleton taking everyone and their mother, is definitely an uniformed comment.

Coach Todd dosn't cut recruited players and they are not allowed a huge roster due to Title IX maintenence. The AD there is much like "Straight-Arrow Gennaro" from the movie Unnecessary Roughness and she keeps close tabs on what Coach Todd does. Additionally, NO ONE has worse financial aid packages than Castleton.

Although the point of the team meshing at Castleton is always the main concern

Comment

Has anyone read of any exhibition games, seems like a long time from 1 Nov tryouts to 19 Nov first games?

Comment

Working...
                                X