Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adrian Chapter IV: A Legacy of Firsts from the Class of 2011…..

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Adrian Chapter IV: A Legacy of Firsts from the Class of 2011…..

    How quickly the first three years have passed for Adrian hockey. Eighteen players have gone every step of the way, enjoying all of the firsts, while contributing and watching their classmates set numerous team, individual, NCAA & MCHA records, the likes of which may never be broken.

    When the team first assembled, the freshmen class numbered 25. As the Bulldogs’ record began to attract attention that first year, I recall several posters predicting a large turnover before the 4 years was up, and for various reasons with the one most repeated being… to transfer to schools offering NCAA tournament opportunities. Clearly this group realized something very special was happening and wanted their entire journey to be at Adrian College.

    The first two years ended on winning notes, and hopes for an invitation to experience the tournament were dashed by the NCAA selection process. This new program caused quite a stir, becoming an annoyance to many seasoned DIII followers who understood and embraced the flawed system, while winning the respect of as many others in these first highly successful years of existence. Adrian threads were sprouting up like weeds, dominating discussion in the forum. One particular thread was locked after becoming what was possibly the first on the DIII board to reach 1000 posts. If one tried to escape the Adrian discussion and find safe haven in an unrelated thread, all too often the Bulldog talk would invade like a virus, usually resulting in temporary derailment. “Incredible Record” ”Weak Schedule”……”they deserve it” …”others are more deserving” ….” beat the U18’s” ….. “The U18’s played their back-ups” “that game doesn’t count “.”we smoked 2009 Nat’l Champs Neumann”……”it was only Neumann’s third game”…and “that game doesn’t count either” ……echoed incessantly throughout the DIII forum. The graphic illustration of a “Dead Horse”, though humorous, did little to interrupt either position in the debate.

    After a great deal of administrative stick handling in year three, the MCHA conference was finally awarded the AQ. As a result, Adrian threads and discussions, along with many of the trolls they attracted, pretty much disappeared in the void. Last minute heroics were required in the conference final, however, and with the victory, the Bulldogs added more firsts to their substantial list. The team accounted very well for themselves, and although they lost in their first tournament appearance to a great St. Norbert program, they won a lot of respect from DIII followers in the process.

    This fourth year shapes up to be very exciting, and more challenging than ever. MCHA teams continue to improve, closing the gap in conference play, and several teams are competing very well in NC action. The road to the MCHA title will be much more difficult than previous years. Adrian’s NC schedule will include hosting Wisconsin Eau Claire (first NCHA team to agree to play Adrian), and Hamline (two stinging losses to avenge), at the Thanksgiving Invitational. Geneseo will complete the draw, all but guaranteeing exciting and entertaining hockey for the local supporters and guests. A trip east during the Holiday break to play Manhattanville, and hopefully a New Year’s engagement with 2010 National Champions Norwich, will certainly be looked upon with great anticipation. The schedule has awesome potential and should provide the level of competition needed to prepare this team for the stretch run and post season possibilities.

    Good luck to the Class of 2011 and to the Classes that have joined them on their quest for more firsts in this their senior year. Welcome to Chapter IV…. GO BULLDOGS!!

  • #2
    Re: Adrian Chapter IV: A Legacy of Firsts from the Class of 2011…..

    I was going to start one in a week or two, but this is much better than anything I would have conjured up. Nice.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR


    God, that was fun...

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Adrian Chapter IV: A Legacy of Firsts from the Class of 2011…..

      Mitch Albom must love this thread

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Adrian Chapter IV: A Legacy of Firsts from the Class of 2011…..

        Looking forward to seeing Adrian invade our house. Be interesting to see how they do. I would welcome the opportunity to see them play against NU
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Adrian Chapter IV: A Legacy of Firsts from the Class of 2011…..

          Originally posted by NorthernLite View Post
          How quickly the first three years have passed for Adrian hockey. Eighteen players have gone every step of the way, enjoying all of the firsts, while contributing and watching their classmates set numerous team, individual, NCAA & MCHA records, the likes of which may never be broken.

          When the team first assembled, the freshmen class numbered 25. As the Bulldogs’ record began to attract attention that first year, I recall several posters predicting a large turnover before the 4 years was up, and for various reasons with the one most repeated being… to transfer to schools offering NCAA tournament opportunities. Clearly this group realized something very special was happening and wanted their entire journey to be at Adrian College.

          The first two years ended on winning notes, and hopes for an invitation to experience the tournament were dashed by the NCAA selection process. This new program caused quite a stir, becoming an annoyance to many seasoned DIII followers who understood and embraced the flawed system, while winning the respect of as many others in these first highly successful years of existence. Adrian threads were sprouting up like weeds, dominating discussion in the forum. One particular thread was locked after becoming what was possibly the first on the DIII board to reach 1000 posts. If one tried to escape the Adrian discussion and find safe haven in an unrelated thread, all too often the Bulldog talk would invade like a virus, usually resulting in temporary derailment. “Incredible Record” ”Weak Schedule”……”they deserve it” …”others are more deserving” ….” beat the U18’s” ….. “The U18’s played their back-ups” “that game doesn’t count “.”we smoked 2009 Nat’l Champs Neumann”……”it was only Neumann’s third game”…and “that game doesn’t count either” ……echoed incessantly throughout the DIII forum. The graphic illustration of a “Dead Horse”, though humorous, did little to interrupt either position in the debate.

          After a great deal of administrative stick handling in year three, the MCHA conference was finally awarded the AQ. As a result, Adrian threads and discussions, along with many of the trolls they attracted, pretty much disappeared in the void. Last minute heroics were required in the conference final, however, and with the victory, the Bulldogs added more firsts to their substantial list. The team accounted very well for themselves, and although they lost in their first tournament appearance to a great St. Norbert program, they won a lot of respect from DIII followers in the process.

          This fourth year shapes up to be very exciting, and more challenging than ever. MCHA teams continue to improve, closing the gap in conference play, and several teams are competing very well in NC action. The road to the MCHA title will be much more difficult than previous years. Adrian’s NC schedule will include hosting Wisconsin Eau Claire (first NCHA team to agree to play Adrian), and Hamline (two stinging losses to avenge), at the Thanksgiving Invitational. Geneseo will complete the draw, all but guaranteeing exciting and entertaining hockey for the local supporters and guests. A trip east during the Holiday break to play Manhattanville, and hopefully a New Year’s engagement with 2010 National Champions Norwich, will certainly be looked upon with great anticipation. The schedule has awesome potential and should provide the level of competition needed to prepare this team for the stretch run and post season possibilities.

          Good luck to the Class of 2011 and to the Classes that have joined them on their quest for more firsts in this their senior year. Welcome to Chapter IV…. GO BULLDOGS!!
          missed the trip to OZ

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Adrian Chapter IV: A Legacy of Firsts from the Class of 2011…..

            How could you forget to mention this
            Larry Normandin
            SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

            Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

            God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

            Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

            Twitter w/ Bob Emery

            WIRY (Windows Player)
            WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

            Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

            Pen pals

            D3HOCKEY.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Adrian Chapter IV: A Legacy of Firsts from the Class of 2011…..

              3 years of seeing fogal with no pressure to take his job...about time to get a goalie that can be the future and push fogal

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Adrian Chapter IV: A Legacy of Firsts from the Class of 2011…..

                I'll expand further on this at a later date, but I think the league in general is going to push Adrian as a team more than what we've seen in the past 3 years.
                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR


                God, that was fun...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Adrian Chapter IV: A Legacy of Firsts from the Class of 2011…..

                  Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  I'll expand further on this at a later date, but I think the league in general is going to push Adrian as a team more than what we've seen in the past 3 years.
                  Agree completely. It's already tightened up signficantly since year one, with no better evidence of that than the playoffs last season. If I had to pick as of now I'd say Marian is definitely the one to keep an eye on -- even moreso than in the past two years. I'll say it right now: Adrian doesn't go undefeated in league play this year.
                  I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Adrian Chapter IV: A Legacy of Firsts from the Class of 2011…..

                    I wouldn't be so sure about that last statement. It wouldn't surprise me if Marian went 18-2 again in league play, but I'm not picking against Adrian in any MCHA game until they're beaten. Marian gets the first shot, but Adrian has dispatched them quite easily in the regular season the past two years, save for a close game at Arrington two years ago.
                    Last edited by Hammer; 09-16-2010, 09:06 AM.
                    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR


                    God, that was fun...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Adrian Chapter IV: A Legacy of Firsts from the Class of 2011…..

                      Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                      I wouldn't be so sure about that last statement. It wouldn't surprise me if Marian went 18-2 again in league play, but I'm not picking against Adrian in any MCHA game until they're beaten. Marian gets the first shot, but Adrian has dispatched them quite easily in the regular season the past two years, save for a close game at Arrington two years ago.
                      I wouldn't pick against Adrian in a single game prediction in league play either, but I still think this is the year someone gets one from the Bulldogs. Care to bet a beer on it?
                      I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Adrian Chapter IV: A Legacy of Firsts from the Class of 2011…..

                        Sure, I'm already a pitcher of beer ahead on the Tigers, but I don't know how the hell we're going to settle up on this one.
                        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR


                        God, that was fun...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Adrian Chapter IV: A Legacy of Firsts from the Class of 2011…..

                          Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                          Sure, I'm already a pitcher of beer ahead on the Tigers, but I don't know how the hell we're going to settle up on this one.
                          Oh, don't worry. I'll be around. At some point you'll have a chance to pay up...of that I have no doubt.
                          I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Adrian Chapter IV: A Legacy of Firsts from the Class of 2011…..

                            Should be another great season for Adrian, and the number of players who are seniors and have stuck with the program since the beginning is impressive.

                            As for them going unbeaten in league play, who knows? Marian getting them so early in the season may help as I remember Adrian being involved in some up and down games in November in seasons past. Besides, it's been done before...
                            http://www.uscho.com/box/?date=20071...arian&gender=m

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Adrian Chapter IV: A Legacy of Firsts from the Class of 2011…..

                              I really wish Marian and Adrian played each other later in the season. I think the early schedule favors Adrian insofar as I expect Marian to depend on freshmen much more than Adrian. I am also curious to see how Lake and Lawrence hold up against Adrian.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X