Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utica University 2023-24: The Rebuild????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Yep, idiotic is the right word for you.

They have a brand new arena because they went D1.

Even though I think the arena is a tad bigger than it should have been, they still average more fans than they ever did at the old Ritter.

They made a Frozen Four in a time period where long standing traditional D1 hockey programs have not, such as Clarkson and St. Lawrence.

Many, many teams barely make the Frozen Four. Are Northern Michigan, Bowling Green, LSSU, heck even Maine considering their recent troubles, failures as D1 hockey teams? What about Princeton, Dartmouth?

RIT sells out a game in the downtown arena of about 10,500 people every year. RIT has beaten Minnesota, Notre Dame, Denver, UNH to name just some traditional powerhouses.

RIT got marketing exposure on ESPN you can't buy -- Barry Melrose declared them one of his favorite teams, and even came to Rochester to publicize them.

Talk to anyone in the RIT PR and marketing departments (I have), and they will tell you how much easier it is to recruit students to attend RIT ever since their hockey team went D1. (Which is a huge reason many schools spend money on sports, even at the D3 level, to build an aura of being a "winner" all around.)

We all know for years your debating skills are the worse in the history of Mankind, except for Donald Trump -- which is ironic since I know how much you hate him.

Keep your mouth shut. You are incapable of proving a point. At all. Don't even try anymore.
    What a compelling argument, with neither conflation nor diversion...

As brilliant as the above is, you really should consider starting your own thread.

Please..?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

What a compelling argument, with neither conflation nor diversion...

As brilliant as the above is, you really should consider starting your own thread.

Please..?
      That’s all you got? Stop trying. Just stop trying.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Oh, there definitely was something to it. A lot in fact. At one time.

But now, I believe it's dead in the water. And some of my sources do know what's going on behind the scenes.
        I think we will agree to disagree here. Our sources are saying opposite things.

Fish - if Utica ends up like an RIT that would be looked at as a success, you realize that right? RIT Hockey moving D1 has proved to be a very successful move for the school.

Comment

• Originally posted by JSicedog View Post

We will find out. I was going to say soon, but that hasn't been the case at all. This appears to be the never ending story. LOL

Fish - if Utica ends up like an RIT that would be looked at as a success, you realize that right? RIT Hockey moving D1 has proved to be a very successful move for the school.
          Oh, no. Now, you are going to set off Fishy boy. Stand back.........
          Russell Jaslow

Comment

• I can tell you with 100% certainty that Heenan is currently recruiting top JR players this season and telling them they are 100% going D1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jensen35 View Post
              I can tell you with 100% certainty that Heenan is currently recruiting top JR players this season and telling them they are 100% going D1.
              I know. It's a great slight of hand, if you get my drift...
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

We will find out. I was going to say soon, but that hasn't been the case at all. This appears to be the never ending story. LOL
                Well, that's the problem. One can't prove a negative. There will (most likely) not be a press conference announcing "We are not going D2/D1. Carry on."

I hope nobody is turning blue holding their breath over this.
                2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

• Originally posted by UCBadger View Post

Well, that's the problem. One can't prove a negative. There will (most likely) not be a press conference announcing "We are not going D2/D1. Carry on."

I know. I can be right for years, and then just be wrong once, and that's it. :-) (Although, Illinois did state publicly they were not going D1, but that's because they admitted so publicly they were seriously considering forming a D1 program.)
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by JSicedog View Post

That all hinges on how one defines "success"...

RIT's impact in D-1 is, by any reasonable description, minimal.

Look it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

That all hinges on how one defines "success"...

RIT's impact in D-1 is, by any reasonable description, minimal.

Look it up.
                      Shockingly, you don't get it. While RIT's impact in D1 hockey is *relatively* minimal, the impact D1 hockey has made on RIT as an institution - as already outlined in earlier posts - is astronomical.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post

Shockingly, you don't get it. While RIT's impact in D1 hockey is *relatively* minimal, the impact D1 hockey has made on RIT as an institution - as already outlined in earlier posts - is astronomical.
                        This.

Yes, Fishy boy is correct, the impact RIT made on D1 hockey is relatively minimal. As can be said for many other schools. But it's not RIT's job to enhance D1 hockey. It's their job to enhance themselves as an institution of higher education. And in that sense, as has been posted many times by many people citing many examples, it has been a success for RIT.

Fishy boy is way too myopic -- and stubborn, and dare I say, idiotic -- in viewing this.
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, BLUE Fish !

Comment

This.

Yes, Fishy boy is correct, the impact RIT made on D1 hockey is relatively minimal. As can be said for many other schools. But it's not RIT's job to enhance D1 hockey. It's their job to enhance themselves as an institution of higher education. And in that sense, as has been posted many times by many people citing many examples, it has been a success for RIT.

Fishy boy is way too myopic -- and stubborn, and dare I say, idiotic -- in viewing this.
                            Russell is correct...its about what is best for the institution, and in this current higher ed environment, what can help the institution survive. Currently about 1/3 of our on ground students are athletes. Should we not have added football, lacrosse, field hockey, ice hockey 22 +/- years ago (and track and field a decade or so ago) who knows if Utica, the college, would still be around. Its been a bad few years for many smaller, and ever some larger, independent institutions. If moving to D2 will increase interest in our athletic programs in particular (not yet sold on that myself, but it may be true) and the institution in general, especially if it involves us getting more students who require less financial aid, then I will ride on that wagon. The expectation would be that the increased cost D2 athletics with D1 Hockey (more coaches, more travel, more non-academic cost) will be more than offset by increased tuition & room and board revenue, both from athletes and additional students. If that is not realized, then a move to D2 could very well sink an institution. I am glad I don't have to make that decision.
                            2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                            2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                            2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                            2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                            2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                            2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                            2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                            Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                            1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Russell is correct...its about what is best for the institution, and in this current higher ed environment, what can help the institution survive. Currently about 1/3 of our on ground students are athletes. Should we not have added football, lacrosse, field hockey, ice hockey 22 +/- years ago (and track and field a decade or so ago) who knows if Utica, the college, would still be around. Its been a bad few years for many smaller, and ever some larger, independent institutions. If moving to D2 will increase interest in our athletic programs in particular (not yet sold on that myself, but it may be true) and the institution in general, especially if it involves us getting more students who require less financial aid, then I will ride on that wagon. The expectation would be that the increased cost D2 athletics with D1 Hockey (more coaches, more travel, more non-academic cost) will be more than offset by increased tuition & room and board revenue, both from athletes and additional students. If that is not realized, then a move to D2 could very well sink an institution. I am glad I don't have to make that decision.
                              Is there any actual evidence, anywhere, that indicates such a move improves the college experience for anyone associated with the university in question?

Comment

This.

Explain how RIT going D-1 has enhanced Jack **** for RIT students, or for the the college in a general sense. Cite the "many examples", you old, drunken gas-bag.

I've only talked about hockey, as in win/loss, attendance, etc. If UU goes D-1, it'll very likely work out even worse than it has for RIT.

All your bull**** regarding "intangibles" is just that. It hasn't happened in Rochester, and it wont happen in Utica.

Comment

Working...
                                X