Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utica University 2023-24: The Rebuild????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hockeyguy1424 View Post
    As many have talked about Utica going D1 for hockey, I recently talked to a reliable source stating Utica U is in serious debt (like most or all college/universities are right now) this isn’t a sure thing. In fact I was told it probably isn’t happening. The University recently cut some programs/ and sports teams in hopes of saving a few dollars. Take a look at what’s happening at Potsdam and Clarkson. I’m sure some others are in the same boat but haven’t said anything publicly. Colleges/Universities are trying to keep heads above water without having to close their doors like a few already have.
    I can confirm with you that this is 100% not true. They cut swimming, water polo, mens tennis, and added mens/womens wrestling and gymnastics. Academically they cut programs with very low student counts which made sense. They are not in debt and just had one of their largest freshmen classes in history. Your source is far from reliable.

Comment

ok .......back to actual hockey, how was the game vs USA last night??

Comment

We shall see, only time will tell once the dust settles.

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
          ok .......back to actual hockey, how was the game vs USA last night??
          A blowout, as expected.

Them HS-age kids is pretty good.

None of them will even consider a D-3 school.

Comment

Originally posted by JSicedog View Post

Last year was not the best Utica team there ever was, not even top 3.

The shots were 50-29 in the UCHC championship, it wasn't a narrow defeat by any means. Game was over before the puck dropped.

You should go start your own Nazareth thread and talk to yourself there.
            OK, last year's team lacked goaltending, but was as deep a Utica team as I've ever seen outside of the net.

I suppose the COVID team was better, all things considered.

But, which third iteration would displace last year's team re: the top-3, IYO?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

OK, last year's team lacked goaltending, but was as deep a Utica team as I've ever seen outside of the net.

I suppose the COVID team was better, all things considered.

But, which third iteration would displace last year's team re: the top-3, IYO?
              Last year's team should have been good on paper but coasted for much of the year. Never saw their full potential or what they could have been. The year before it was a similar group that was far hungrier, 3 first team All Americans and 5 total, that group was more lethal than what we saw last year.

Not in order but 21-22, 19-20, and the final 4 team were all better teams fairly easily.

Looking back the half season team in 20-21 and the 17-18 team were every bit as good too.

Comment

Huge weekend for UU coming up, I remember when people talked about actual hockey games here !
                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                  Huge weekend for UU coming up, I remember when people talked about actual hockey games here !
                  Talking about actual hockey games? In the Utica chat? Is that even allowed here?
                  Oswego 22' and 23' Student Section Leader 2022-2024. If you heard a weird or offensive chant during an Oswego Hockey Broadcast during that time... odds are my friend Tim and I started it.

Comment

Might have been the most entertaining scoreless tie I've ever seen, but that's a pretty low bar to clear.

Roberts looks like the real deal. A huge upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                      Might have been the most entertaining scoreless tie I've ever seen, but that's a pretty low bar to clear.

Roberts looks like the real deal. A huge upgrade.
                      WOW , thought that was a misprint, must have a net minder battle or some pretty weak offense??? Maybe both......

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post

WOW , thought that was a misprint, must have a net minder battle or some pretty weak offense??? Maybe both......
                        The shots were 41-40. The goalies stole this one.

Comment

What a blast for Barr's first colligate goal! Utica wins 3-2 in OT. That win should help the eastern teams toward the end of the season.
                          Last edited by UCBadger; 10-28-2023, 03:22 PM.
                          2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                          2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                          2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                          2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                          2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                          2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                          2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                          Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                          1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

A tie and win was about as good of an outcome for a group this inexperienced that you can get

Huge weekend here

Comment

Small sample-size, I get that, but this team is looking like much more of a "reload" than a "rebuild"...

Utica has "plus" foot-speed, really responsible D from both the blue-liners and the forwards, and Roberts has looked nothing short of outstanding. Maybe not real deep in the "hands" department, but deep enough from what I see... And they go balls-out every shift.

I'm excited about Utica's prospects this season.

Comment

The poll does not matter, and it is Week 1, but with 1, 2, and 5 already losing, #3 Endicott playing a tough Norwich team tonight, and UWSP idle this week, I wonder how the voters will feel about the results of the weekend. Could easily see Utica as a top 3 team come Monday afternoon

Comment

Working...
                                X