X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russell Jaslow
    replied
    Originally posted by dhammond View Post
    How close are we to knowing whether Utica will be accepted into Atlantic Hockey?
    Well, considering this has been going on for at least two years, I can come up with many snarky answers to your question...

Leave a comment:

• dhammond
    replied
    How close are we to knowing whether Utica will be accepted into Atlantic Hockey?

Leave a comment:

• Russell Jaslow
    replied
    Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post

do they need a conference, or can they just go independent???
    Sure they can. But apparently Utica has made the decision that if they can't get into the AHA, they won't go D1.

Leave a comment:

• Russell Jaslow
    replied
    Originally posted by SNHUPenman View Post

I believe to go Indy they'd need to move ALL sports up still. Silly NCAA and their rule on one division. If they found a division I think they could go and play D2, but have hockey at D1. I could be off on a few points, and I am hoping these rules change with sports governance reform.
    No. What status your conference affiliation is has nothing to do with the rule of D2 hockey teams being allowed to play D1. Because independents can still make the NCAA playoffs (see Arizona State a few year ago) and thus since there is no D2 national tournament, that is the original reason why D2 schools can have their hockey teams play D1. Regardless of conference or no affiliation. Of course, Utica has to move their entire athletic program to D2 no matter what for their hockey team to play anywhere in D1, but we already know that is the plan.
    Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 10-12-2023, 01:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SNHUPenman
    replied

I believe to go Indy they'd need to move ALL sports up still. Silly NCAA and their rule on one division. If they found a division I think they could go and play D2, but have hockey at D1. I could be off on a few points, and I am hoping these rules change with sports governance reform.

Leave a comment:

• JSicedog
    replied

They won't go independent. Its AHA or nothing.

Leave a comment:

• bakdraft21
    replied
    Originally posted by SNHUPenman View Post

There is no official announcement of any of this yet though correct? Just rumors? I know there was that talk about a new D1 conference with Lindenwood, Stonehill, and maybe some reclassified NE10 schools - and Utica. But that is all, right? Or have I missed it.

Leave a comment:

• SNHUPenman
    replied
    Originally posted by Pioneer247 View Post

That has already been approved by the NCAA pending the hockey program getting a D1 conference home
    There is no official announcement of any of this yet though correct? Just rumors? I know there was that talk about a new D1 conference with Lindenwood, Stonehill, and maybe some reclassified NE10 schools - and Utica. But that is all, right? Or have I missed it.

Leave a comment:

• Pioneer247
    replied
    Originally posted by lakont55 View Post
    With Utica moving to D1 then we surmise all other athletic teams at their school have to be at least D2 ?
    That has already been approved by the NCAA pending the hockey program getting a D1 conference home

Leave a comment:

• Russell Jaslow
    replied
    Originally posted by lakont55 View Post
    With Utica moving to D1 then we surmise all other athletic teams at their school have to be at least D2 ?
    Yes. That's been the plan all along.

Leave a comment:

• lakont55
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Fishman'81
    replied
    What this thing boils down to is whether or not Utica wants to be a biggish D-3 fish in a small pond, or a D-1 also-ran. (At least for the foreseeable future).

The AHA has gone 8-20 in the NCAA tournament, even when factoring in the BS AQ's, and an unlikely run by RIT during that one season.

As an old geezer, I'd prefer to see more success in the short term. Pretty sure that there's no way in the world that Utica could possibly make a splash in D-1 anytime soon, if ever.

But, if I was 25 again, and ignored history, maybe I'd be excited about about moving to D-1, even to D-1 Lite... But be careful what you ask for.

Leave a comment:

• JSicedog
    replied
    Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

I hate the blowout games vs. schools who threw away money even by so much as starting a so much D-3 program in the first place. (Kings, et al.) Sounds like Utica is looking at much the same scenario in D-1, but on the short side of the equation.

I only have hearsay to reference, but people tell me that the AHA doesn't have a keen interest in adding another no-name school who will basically be cannon-fodder for the real D-1 programs. If you actually presented some financial facts, instead of settling for simply being The Wizard of Oz*, you might gain some credibility in this discussion.

*(I was gonna say "a dick", but my Mama raised me right.)
    You are talking to the wrong people then.

Leave a comment:

• Fishman'81
    replied
    Originally posted by JSicedog View Post

Fish I hate to be the bearer of bad news but its going to happen. You are looking at it from strictly the hockey team's point of view. It's happening because the entire university benefits. If the hockey team was the only beneficiary of the move then it wouldn't happen.

This is you worried that you can't attend the Utica vs Kings games where UC wins by double digits.
    I hate the blowout games vs. schools who threw away money even by so much as starting a so much D-3 program in the first place. (Kings, et al.) Sounds like Utica is looking at much the same scenario in D-1, but on the short side of the equation.

I only have hearsay to reference, but people tell me that the AHA doesn't have a keen interest in adding another no-name school who will basically be cannon-fodder for the real D-1 programs. If you actually presented some financial facts, instead of settling for simply being The Wizard of Oz*, you might gain some credibility in this discussion.

*(I was gonna say "a dick", but my Mama raised me right.)

Leave a comment:

• Fishman'81
    replied
    Originally posted by spwood View Post
    The caveat for this whole discussion is what is driving this move. If Utica wants to move its athletic department to Div II, then moving the hockey team to Div I is collateral damage for the good of the rest of the athletic department. If the hockey team is the reason for moving the rest of the athletic department, then Fish's arguments are valid ones. Not sure which side I would come down on, but I can definitely see his point of view...
    I don't see how any current Utica program would benefit in any respect via going to D-1. Utica sports in general are poor/mediocre to fairly good in D-3, but certainly nowhere near ready to succeed at the next level as a group.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X