Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LEC (Little East Conference) - Keene State - Conference Realignment 2025-26

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LEC (Little East Conference) - Keene State - Conference Realignment 2025-26

    • The Little East Conference will conduct its first season in 25/26.
    • The Keene State College Owls will also be suiting up a year prior in 24/25.
    • The Owls will join "UMass Boston, UMass Dartmouth, Plymouth State University, University of Southern Maine and Vermont State University Castleton".
    • For the 2026 NCAA Division III Championship Tournament, LEC will have an automatic berth.
    Full Press Release
    https://littleeast.com/news/2023/7/2...hip-sport.aspx
    Last edited by Jlhockey11; 07-24-2023, 12:55 PM.

  • #2
    WOW. this will impact several conferences. Glad to see the expansion continue to grow though.

    Comment


    • #3
      Would this mean that there would only be 3 at large bids available starting in 2026? Or would the MASCAC shrink to the point of losing its AQ?
      5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
      2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post
        Would this mean that there would only be 3 at large bids available starting in 2026? Or would the MASCAC shrink to the point of losing its AQ?
        MASCAC currently has 7 teams and looks like they are losing 2 to this new LEC conference. But, I think they are getting 2 new schools (Rivier and Anna Maria?)

        Comment


        • #5
          Play each conference member 4x for a 20 game conference schedule?

          Now waiting for the MAC to flex its muscles.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

          ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

          Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

          I want to live forever. So far, so good.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by altazo View Post
            MASCAC currently has 7 teams and looks like they are losing 2 to this new LEC conference. But, I think they are getting 2 new schools (Rivier and Anna Maria?)
            I believe the MASCAC is also adding MCLA.

            Comment


            • #7
              How long before the MAC splits away from the UCHC?

              Comment


              • #8
                Do we end up with a UCHC/NEHC merger before this is all over?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I would think Utica is going d1. Utica, Stonehill, LIU, University of Binghamton, St. ANSLEM, and they need 1 more to form a 6 team D1 league.

                  if that happens I believe we will MAC hockey start which leaves Wilkes, Neumann, Naz, Chatham, and Manhattanville out. I could see MAC absorbing in Wilkes and Neumann based off of their location.

                  Schools like Skidmore, Hobart, Elmira, Manhattanville, Naz, and Albertus could all form a conference.

                  Or the GNAC could be coming as well there has been rumors of St. Joesph of Maine starting hockey. GNAC is Albertus Rivier Norwich JWU NEC could start which leaves the mascac 1 short of the AQ.

                  Could we see Babson make a move to the nescac if this all happens?

                  where does salve end up?

                  what happens to Chatham who is literally on an island when it comes to d3 hockey?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Dolphin1717 View Post
                    Schools like Skidmore, Hobart, Elmira, Manhattanville, Naz, and Albertus could all form a conference.
                    I don't see Hobart and Elmira leaving the NEHC. There is absolutely no reason for them to do that after they made the effort to join in the first place, leaving a better geographical fit for the competitiveness of the NEHC.
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post
                      Would this mean that there would only be 3 at large bids available starting in 2026? Or would the MASCAC shrink to the point of losing its AQ?
                      One would HOPE for the NCAA Tournament to expand to 16 teams by that point! Just a quick wiki search of all the D3 teams (about 84) and D1 teams (roughly 64), and you'll start to wonder why D3 hasn't already done so. by 2026 there could be almost 90 D3 schools, give these kids some extra games and make the tournament field the same as D1's with 16 teams.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jlhockey11 View Post

                        One would HOPE for the NCAA Tournament to expand to 16 teams by that point! Just a quick wiki search of all the D3 teams (about 84) and D1 teams (roughly 64), and you'll start to wonder why D3 hasn't already done so. by 2026 there could be almost 90 D3 schools, give these kids some extra games and make the tournament field the same as D1's with 16 teams.
                        The D3 tournament field size is set based on a specific % of overall teams. I can't recall the exact percentage off hand, but I think it's around 15%. The only way to increase the field size is to increase the number of teams in D3.
                        5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                        2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jlhockey11 View Post

                          One would HOPE for the NCAA Tournament to expand to 16 teams by that point! Just a quick wiki search of all the D3 teams (about 84) and D1 teams (roughly 64), and you'll start to wonder why D3 hasn't already done so. by 2026 there could be almost 90 D3 schools, give these kids some extra games and make the tournament field the same as D1's with 16 teams.
                          100% agree. It would be a shame to reduce the amount of at large bids any further. Some divisions are just too strong not to have a couple teams make it out.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Dolphin1717 View Post

                            Or the GNAC could be coming as well there has been rumors of St. Joesph of Maine starting hockey. GNAC is Albertus Rivier Norwich JWU NEC could start which leaves the mascac 1 short of the AQ.
                            Anna Maria is also a member of the GNAC so that would be 7. Norwich and Albertus DO NOT WANT THIS. they are both part of the NEHC which would be a much stronger conference top to bottom. I believe Norwich would leave the GNAC if that happened.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              You are speaking in terms of right now. If you see MAC hockey happen I think it creates room for the New York schools to form their own private school conference.

                              there will be a massive shake up in the landscape in d-3. I don’t think the expansion of teams is close to being over.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X