LEC (Little East Conference) - Keene State - Conference Realignment 2025-26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bartman View Post

Ok , based on Tony/troy's and other comments....there will be no D3 Liberty League Hockey Conference(I really was just smoking something), Hobart hockey will remain D3( I never really advocated for D1 as I love the Cooler ) and Hobart lacrosse will never win 13 D1 championships in a row like they did in D3(old and gray Hobart ex laxers constantly re-live those glorious days as they sit back and take a hit on their now legal weed) Lax will never win even one D1 Championship ......the Hockey team has a better chance of winning 13 D3 Championships in a row....this year we'll settle for a simple back to back.
    But do you realize the Liberty League is just one team away from forming a D1 hockey league? Bring in an affiliate, and it's done. :-) Though, the ECAC schools will never leave to do that.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Zubin View Post
      When d3 lacrosse was started in 1979-80 Hobart won 12 straight national titles and 13 out of 14 I have a feeling they were voluntold to get out of d3 cause other teams were sick of them winning everything for a decade. Hobarts board of trustees actually voted to move the team back down to d3 in 2008 but so many alumni (lacrosse and non lacrosse) complained that they reversed the decision a week later. https://www.mpnnow.com/story/sports/...n/45633581007/
      This is all true , the alums went nuts mainly because they wanted to keep playing traditional Syracuse and Cornell rivals and back in the D3 days , Hobart beat them, now it is a rare occurrence....in the 70's the best activity was throwing Lake Trout at the opposing players benches in front of 2000 fans....the players were fast, fierce and serious M************ ....now you're lucky to get 500 fans, with signs that say No Fish Throwing and the players are good but they lack the crazy Seneca spirit of the old days....our Hockey team has some of the old Seneca spirit( not sure about the weed??)

Comment

Can someone please help me with this? I realize that some of these new conferences like the LEC have been functioning in other sports for some time and teams may be required to join them in hockey. But, what is causing the frenzy to change leagues? Is this St Thomas on steroids? A few years ago STT was asked to leave the MIAC for competitive reasons. It may have been football driven since they were winning all their games 45-0, but it led them to go D1 in hockey, too. Are colleges leaving the NEHC and other conferences because they are tired of being dominated by Hobart, Norwich, Babson and see an easier path to the NCAAs? Some of these team schedules will have a completely different feel to them. New England College could go from playing the bulk of their schedule on Fridays and Saturdays to a mish-mash of mid-week games with weekends off.
        Last edited by neumyer; 02-22-2024, 08:29 PM.
        Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Comment

Originally posted by neumyer View Post
          Can someone please help me with this? I realize that some of these new conferences like the NEC have been functioning in other sports for some time and teams may be required to join them in hockey. But, what is causing the frenzy to change leagues? Is this St Thomas on steroids? A few years ago STT was asked to leave the MIAC for competitive reasons. It may have been football driven since they were winning all their games 45-0, but it led them to go D1 in hockey, too. Are colleges leaving the NEHC and other conferences because they are tired of being dominated by Hobart, Norwich, Babson and see an easier path to the NCAAs? Some of these team schedules will have a completely different feel to them. New England College could go from playing the bulk of their schedule on Fridays and Saturdays to a mish-mash of mid-week games with weekends off.
          yes and no. There was a vote somewhere along the way that decided 6 teams was the minimum now for a conference with an autobid to the national tournament. so while yes crappy teams are getting to avoid better teams the main reason for moving is that if a schools conference starts sponsoring a sport, theyre obligated to leave whatever conference their in and join that conference. keep in mind every team had a vote in this matter so they all agreed to this nonsense
          Oswego 22' and 23' Student Section Leader 2022-2024. If you heard a weird or offensive chant during an Oswego Hockey Broadcast during that time... odds are my friend Tim and I started it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Zubin View Post

yes and no. There was a vote somewhere along the way that decided 6 teams was the minimum now for a conference with an autobid to the national tournament. so while yes crappy teams are getting to avoid better teams the main reason for moving is that if a schools conference starts sponsoring a sport, theyre obligated to leave whatever conference their in and join that conference. keep in mind every team had a vote in this matter so they all agreed to this nonsense
            Combine the above with the idea that in DIII, new sports = new tuition paying students (the athletes themselves).

So you have schools looking to boost enrollment. They look around at their multisport conference and they see that if they start hockey, their conference is close to an autobid under the new rule and that becomes their choice. And I'm sure that on average the family wealth of a kid who plays ice hockey is much higher than kids who play other sports isn't lost in the calculus either...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post

Combine the above with the idea that in DIII, new sports = new tuition paying students (the athletes themselves).

So you have schools looking to boost enrollment. They look around at their multisport conference and they see that if they start hockey, their conference is close to an autobid under the new rule and that becomes their choice. And I'm sure that on average the family wealth of a kid who plays ice hockey is much higher than kids who play other sports isn't lost in the calculus either...
              one of the things I learned this year is that when schools add these teams the coaches are told they have to have a certain number of players on the roster. I know of one school that required the coach to carry 30 players on the hockey team. seems a bit excessive to me, but at the end of the day it is a business.

Comment

Originally posted by Jensen35 View Post

one of the things I learned this year is that when schools add these teams the coaches are told they have to have a certain number of players on the roster. I know of one school that required the coach to carry 30 players on the hockey team. seems a bit excessive to me, but at the end of the day it is a business.
                That is the exact reason why you are seeing a ton of college hockey teams being added right now despite the fact it's an expensive sport to operate.

If you get 30 kids paying around 25-30K a year, that's $750-900K to the school revenue.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

That is the exact reason why you are seeing a ton of college hockey teams being added right now despite the fact it's an expensive sport to operate.

If you get 30 kids paying around 25-30K a year, that's $750-900K to the school revenue.
                  Utica added Men's and Women's wrestling and Women's gymnastics this fall. I had three athletes from those teams in my intro course of 32 this fall. (It does look like we have room for several more women wrestlers for next season)
                  2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                  2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                  2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                  2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                  2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                  2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                  2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                  Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                  1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

How does that revenue generally stack up against the operating expenses?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

How does that revenue generally stack up against the operating expenses?
                      Unless they have to build new dorms and hire new faculty (other than the sport coaches) the margin is still good.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post

Unless they have to build new dorms and hire new faculty (other than the sport coaches) the margin is still good.
                        Truly surprised to hear that. I assumed almost every D-3 sport was a "loss-leader" type of deal. Kinda still do...

No way in the world does the average D-3 hockey program turn a profit via the gate, does it?

And, from what I've heard first-hand, the players don't pay anything close to full tuition.

Gotta be something there, just the same, and I'm sure that there is.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                          And, from what I've heard first-hand, the players don't pay anything close to full tuition.
                          From what the insiders have been saying on the Norwich thread there are clearly a few schools that are passing out money but I think the vast majority of schools are getting the tuition one way or another through federal loans or whatnot. There aren't many schools that can hand out grants these days.

Comment

Nowich and Babson Mens Hockey is joining the LEC as an affiliate members. Babson hasnt broken the news yet themselves but according to this norwich article both of them are joining. The NEHC is dead. The reality of having Geneseo, Elmira, Utica, Hobart, and Skidmore in the same conference is one step closer https://norwichathletics.com/news/20...n-2025-26.aspx
                            Last edited by Lord_Zubin; 03-06-2024, 10:23 AM.
                            Oswego 22' and 23' Student Section Leader 2022-2024. If you heard a weird or offensive chant during an Oswego Hockey Broadcast during that time... odds are my friend Tim and I started it.

Comment

So the unclaimed pieces on the chessboard (remaining NEHC schools) are...

Albertus Magnus
                              Elmira
                              Hobart
                              Salve Regina
                              Skidmore

Any guesses where they'll go? If the Empire 8 starts up by then, they'll take Elmira to pair up with Brockport, Geneseo, Utica, St. John Fisher, and Nazareth.

I have no clue about Skidmore and Hobart. Albertus seems destined to be an independent, and maybe Salve ends up crawling back to the CCC looking for a pity reacceptance.

Comment

Im about to throw an absolute wildcard out here Albertus Magnus is 1 hour from Manhattenville so they would make decent travel partners. Manhattenville is relatively close to the MAC schools so Im gonna predict Manhattenville and AM to the MAC. Im sure the UCHC/Empire 8 would love to get that roadtrip out of their yearly budgets. Hobart will either join the new empire 8 or maybe the SUNYAC if theyve changed their ways. Salve Regina will probably crawl back to the CCC if theyre allowed to or will probably join the LEC themselves. Skidmore is the true wildcard, they could join the empire 8, the SUNYAC, or the LEC and for the most part fit in geographically.

Comment

Working...
                                X