X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spwood
    replied
    Originally posted by Laker28 View Post

The Oswego/St. Norbert game was back and forth decided on a goal with under a minute to play. The Platty/Norwich game was also a one goal game. As a matter of fact nobody lead by more than a goal all weekend. It was the best Final Four I have personally been to.
    Absolutely agreed.

Leave a comment:

• 17'sfanNU
    replied
    Originally posted by Laker28 View Post

The Oswego/St. Norbert game was back and forth decided on a goal with under a minute to play. The Platty/Norwich game was also a one goal game. As a matter of fact nobody lead by more than a goal all weekend. It was the best Final Four I have personally been to.
    Thanks for refreshing my memory, I guess I was so excited to win that I lost track of who we played in the semis. Ironic too, I grew up in Plattsburgh and followed the team before I moved to Central Vermont. It was only 13 years ago, I better take my brain supplements!
    Last edited by 17'sfanNU; 03-30-2023, 10:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Laker28
    replied
    The 2010 tournament in Lake Placid between Norwich and St. Norbert was one of the most exciting finals I have ever seen. Two top teams, great skills, lots of action and 2 over times. I cant say the semis leading up to the finals was as exciting because I dont remember.

Leave a comment:

• altazo
    replied
    I believe BJ O’Brien had 72 saves in the 2010 National Championship.

O’Brien got his NC ring a year later in 2011.

And the best student chant is “when in doubt, enroll at Stout!”
    Last edited by altazo; 03-30-2023, 08:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 17'sfanNU
    replied
    Originally posted by spwood View Post

Yes, but by that point I was hoping the game wouldn't end. Nearly 100 minutes of pure intensity from both teams. Norwich was the better team, but the St. Norbert goaltender was the best player on the ice.
    I agree he was the MVP, I can't remember how many shots Norwich put on him, he was everywhere! I also can't imagine the teams going another 20 minutes, both sides were exhausted due to the intensity and length of play.

I have to say the St. Norbert fans were great and super friendly. I don't believe there was an ounce of "hate" in the arena, just a lot of respect for two talented teams playing their hearts out.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Coughlin
    replied

Yes, but by that point I was hoping the game wouldn't end. Nearly 100 minutes of pure intensity from both teams. Norwich was the better team, but the St. Norbert goaltender was the best player on the ice.
    BJ O'Brien? I think he's the goalie coach at Augsburg now. My favorite student section cheer from my time at SNC involves his first name.

Leave a comment:

• spwood
    replied
    Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post

I was there. Did you get to turn the light on for the winning goal?

Leave a comment:

• 17'sfanNU
    replied

Probably the best game I've ever been to. Had a catbird's seat for that one (I was one of the goal judges). St. Norbert's goaltender stood on his head, which is why he was named tournament MVP despite Norwich winning the game that night.

The 2018 game between St. Norbert and Salve Regina is a very close second...
    I was there. Did you get to turn the light on for the winning goal?

Leave a comment:

• spwood
    replied
    Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
    The 2010 tournament in Lake Placid between Norwich and St. Norbert was one of the most exciting finals I have ever seen. Two top teams, great skills, lots of action and 2 over times. I cant say the semis leading up to the finals was as exciting because I dont remember. This year's tournament from the opening round to the finals was the most entertaining, suspenful and surprising of all time in my mind. Very close games and overtimes having to happen to get a winner. The parity in D3 has gotten so tight that the action is at it's best. You can't ask for anything better!
    Probably the best game I've ever been to. Had a catbird's seat for that one (I was one of the goal judges). St. Norbert's goaltender stood on his head, which is why he was named tournament MVP despite Norwich winning the game that night.

The 2018 game between St. Norbert and Salve Regina is a very close second...

Leave a comment:

• 17'sfanNU
    replied
    Congrats to the host Edicott for a job well done in this NCAA Tournament. Even though Endicott wasn't playing(which was too bad), a crowd showed up for the finals, at least from what I could tell from the broadcast. Would love to know the attendance numbers from all 3 games. I know a lot of Adrian and Hobart fans made the trip, but I'm not sure they could have filled the place. The crowd contributed to the overall success of this tournament. Well done.

I'm a huge fan of Lake Placid having grown up in the area and attended the Winter Olympics there in 1980. As a neutral site, the history and beauty of the area can draw many Div 3 fans, regardless of whether their teams are actually competing. However, the arena is so large, it rarely feels full, no matter how well the teams fan base travel. However, the same can be said about any site, even on college campuses. I think the NCAA's held in Utica a few years ago is a good example. Since Utica didn't make the final four, there was no crowd at the games. I realize that the other reason few showed up is that the beer taps were shut down. In my opinion, if I had the chance to be at the tournament, whether my team was playing or the beer was flowing, I would go because of my love for the game. Not every fan loves the game as much as the love watching their team play. Somehow, Endicott filled the seats which made the games more exciting than they were already.

The 2010 tournament in Lake Placid between Norwich and St. Norbert was one of the most exciting finals I have ever seen. Two top teams, great skills, lots of action and 2 over times. I cant say the semis leading up to the finals was as exciting because I dont remember. This year's tournament from the opening round to the finals was the most entertaining, suspenful and surprising of all time in my mind. Very close games and overtimes having to happen to get a winner. The parity in D3 has gotten so tight that the action is at it's best. You can't ask for anything better!

Leave a comment:

• Tom Coughlin
    replied
    I had a similar internal conflict. I was definitely cheering for Hobart, but I wasn't cheering against Adrian anywhere near as strongly as I would in the past.

I felt the same way watching UWSP in the tournament, but maybe that has more to do with being 10 years removed from being in the same conference as the Pointers.

At the end of the day, Adrian doesn't need to win another natty to prove that the NCHA is the most competitive conference in D3.

Leave a comment:

• altazo
    replied
    I was slightly conflicted watching the final. Was rooting for Hobart because I like coach Taylor and I had a friend that went to Hobart who died way too young. But, I've always been taught to root for the team representing your own conference. Five years ago that would be unthinkable concerning Adrian, but they have changed their program. I actually liked much of their senior class this season and feel a little bad for Ruffin (but I hope none of them take the extra Covid year.) All in all, I thought Hobart was the better team last night.

Leave a comment:

• bakdraft21
    replied
    Originally posted by Bartman View Post
    How sweet it was to be there live for the winning goal by Will Crane after watching Daman Beaver SAVE the dream all night long . The Adrian skills were very scary and they deserve total respect but the entire Statesmen team persevered to win Coach Taylor's first Natty....a classy coach that just might win another with this relentless young team.

For the uniform followers, we were undefeated in the white jerseys this season.

So , for a "one timer" of the Alma Mater :

"Raise the Orange and Purple high, let us shame them never, SHOUT THE TRIUMPH TO THE SKY, HIP HOBART FOREVER!"
    Great job and Big Congrats,now they will have to compete with the old days of the lax team, with few players leaving they should be a hard out all season next yr as well, glad Oswego gets to play the best every year

Leave a comment:

• 802Hockey
    replied
    Congrats Hobart and Coach Taylor! Awesome season with a young (scary) team. I don't mind their white sweaters with orange shorts; the all orange get up needs to go. The only place that belongs is within work zones.

Leave a comment:

• altazo
    replied
    Congrats Hobart. They did an awesome job clogging the neural zone and defensively. And Beaver played great. And I’d like to go on record stating that I think both of their uniforms look really good.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X