World University Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post

Not even consistency between USA’s men’s team and women’s team, though that’s not really their fault entirely; From what I’ve heard, they tried to get current athletes from Plattsburgh, Middlebury, Elmira, etc., but the coaches said “no” across the board, whereas the DIII men’s coaches almost universally embraced this as a good opportunity for the athletes involved. The end result for the USA women was a roster primarily made up of 2022 graduates who aren’t actively playing anymore, so weren’t anywhere near mid-season shape.

is that an excuse for a 5th-place finish that saw them miss out on the trip to Lake Placid? Not really - recent DI graduates should still be able to play at a high level - but it definitely contributed.
    It's a lot easier for men's teams to play without one or two of their best for a couple of weeks. Plattsburgh men went 4-0 without Jack Ring. I don't know that Plattsburgh women beat Midd, Oswego twice or even Canton without Sierra Benjamin or Nicole Unsworth (the two most likely players they probably wanted) in those games.

I'm not sure that they will be as insistent on active NCAA players next tournament since it will be in Italy and not the US, but USA Hockey needs to coordinate better with the NCAA on a league-wide break if they expect active players from the best programs.

Comment

Feature on SNC pair:

Someone shared: SNC seniors Mark & McChesney help lead Team USA to history
      St. Norbert College Green Knights
      NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
      NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
      NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
      ---
      SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

https://fox11online.com/sports/colle...eIEXkybTU9jJvg

the link
        St. Norbert College Green Knights
        NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
        NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
        NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
        ---
        SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
          AWESOME job boys' experience they will never forget........

Comment

This year was a "one off" with DIII players. USA Hockey is going back to the ACHA for players.

Comment

Originally posted by Jensen35 View Post
              This year was a "one off" with DIII players. USA Hockey is going back to the ACHA for players.
              At least until the games rotate back to the US, I imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                At least until the games rotate back to the US, I imagine.

USA Hockey did not support the team this year. They backed out because the organizing committee decided to use DIII players, who do not pay USA Hockey dues. Best finish for a USA team ever in this tournament and USA Hockey was not involved. The credit for this team and its play goes to the coaches and staff.

Comment

I was not trying to give credit to USA Hockey at the expense of the coaches, players and management, just noting that whoever managed to put this together may push for DIII players again when the Universiade returns to US soil.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                    I was not trying to give credit to USA Hockey at the expense of the coaches, players and management, just noting that whoever managed to put this together may push for DIII players again when the Universiade returns to US soil.
                    Sorry, I did not mean to imply that you were overlooking the coaches. I just wanted to clarify that USA Hockey chose not to be involved because the DIII players do not pay USA Hockey dues.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear Fan View Post

USA Hockey did not support the team this year. They backed out because the organizing committee decided to use DIII players, who do not pay USA Hockey dues. Best finish for a USA team ever in this tournament and USA Hockey was not involved. The credit for this team and its play goes to the coaches and staff.
                      It is amazing what happens once you get the useless bureaucrats out of the way.

Comment

Working...
                      X