Hobart statesmen hockey 22-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart statesmen hockey 22-23

Interested to see if there is any interest in the new #1 Rated Hobart Statesmen. Undefeated so far with plenty of underclassmen excelling and making this season and the future of Statesmen hockey look bright. Coach Taylor continues to work his magic on the recruiting side as well as in game tactics despite only having the Cooler to call home. Hopefully this group of players will gain notoriety to prioritize the upgrading of our home ice. In the meantime...FEAR THE COOLER.

This is getting scary to get 20 out of 20 first place votes. The expectations will be too high, and would rather work our way up the rankings...I'd vote for Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by Bartman View Post
      This is getting scary to get 20 out of 20 first place votes. The expectations will be too high, and would rather work our way up the rankings...I'd vote for Adrian
      well when your a top 10 team lets say, there is a bullseye on your backs heads-up...Best of luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bartman View Post
        Interested to see if there is any interest in the new #1 Rated Hobart Statesmen. Undefeated so far with plenty of underclassmen excelling and making this season and the future of Statesmen hockey look bright. Coach Taylor continues to work his magic on the recruiting side as well as in game tactics despite only having the Cooler to call home. Hopefully this group of players will gain notoriety to prioritize the upgrading of our home ice. In the meantime...FEAR THE COOLER.
        There's definitely interest!

The #1 rank is a cool milestone for the program....but I suspect you'd agree that it doesn't mean much relative to the overall goals this program is chasing. Hobart has made the NCAA tourney 11 times - with a current streak of 7 times in a row (the longest streak in D3). Their 11 NCAA tourney births have led to 3 final four appearances. This is a program that has been "in the hunt" many times...but they've yet to break through.

I think it is too early for predictions but you'd have to say this team certainly looks VERY good so far. The NEHC is a hornets nest...let's see if they can keep it up (and stay healthy). I couldn't agree more on Coach Taylor...he's done an amazing job building this program. Also, Assistant Coach Fiorentino deserves a ton of credit on the recruiting side of things. There are a ton of really good underclassmen on this club that Tommy likely helped to bring in.

I played for Hobart...and loved the ice at the cooler and the advantage the frigid temps gave us. That said, the locker room conditions for a visiting team are simply unacceptable. I was embarrassed about this when I played and think it is an even bigger embarrassment today given how strong this program has become. There is zero chance the city of Geneva is going to use tax payer $$ to improve the visitor locker rooms (off the main lobby). Hobart doesn't seem to care - this has been a problem for 30+ years and they've done nothing. At this point, I'd like to see the NCAA deny Hobart a home game in the tourney. Maybe that would get someone's attention.

Anyway - go 'Bart!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by llama View Post
          I played for Hobart...and loved the ice at the cooler and the advantage the frigid temps gave us. That said, the locker room conditions for a visiting team are simply unacceptable. I was embarrassed about this when I played and think it is an even bigger embarrassment today given how strong this program has become. There is zero chance the city of Geneva is going to use tax payer $$ to improve the visitor locker rooms (off the main lobby). Hobart doesn't seem to care - this has been a problem for 30+ years and they've done nothing. At this point, I'd like to see the NCAA deny Hobart a home game in the tourney. Maybe that would get someone's attention.
          I may be misinterpreting what you wrote, so take that as my caveat to my response.

1) The visitor locker room is not off the main lobby. It is in the rink. They no longer use the locker rooms by the bathrooms as the visiting locker room. They haven't for many years. When you walk into the main rink area, if you take an immediate right, that corner is where they built the visitor locker room. It may still be small, but it's not the travesty they used to use.

2) They built completely new women and men locker rooms for the home teams along with office space. The women's is behind the benches. The men are behind the far end of the ice.

3) They have already hosted NCAA playoff games. Many of them. I've covered most of them. The NCAA has strict rules of what a rink and area must be able to meet in order to host an NCAA playoff game (it can differ as the rounds increase). Obviously, Hobart meets them or they never would have been rewarded a home NCAA playoff game. You either meet the qualifications or you don't. There is no in between. There is no attention getting necessary.

What's ironic about this season is the championship weekend is going to be awarded to a campus site (doesn't actually have to be on campus, it has to be the regular home rink the school uses during the season) of one of the four semifinalist. Hobart may be acceptable for a home playoff game for an early round, but in no way would they ever qualify to host the championship weekend. Hobart could go into the championship weekend seeded number one, but they won't get to host.
          Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 11-22-2022, 08:18 PM.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

I may be misinterpreting what you wrote, so take that as my caveat to my response.

1) The visitor locker room is not off the main lobby. It is in the rink. They no longer use the locker rooms by the bathrooms as the visiting locker room. They haven't for many years. When you walk into the main rink area, if you take an immediate right, that corner is where they built the visitor locker room. It may still be small, but it's not the travesty they used to use.

2) They built completely new women and men locker rooms for the home teams along with office space. The women's is behind the benches. The men are behind the far end of the ice.

3) They have already hosted NCAA playoff games. Many of them. I've covered most of them. The NCAA has strict rules of what a rink and area must be able to meet in order to host an NCAA playoff game (it can differ as the rounds increase). Obviously, Hobart meets them or they never would have been rewarded a home NCAA playoff game. You either meet the qualifications or you don't. There is no in between. There is no attention getting necessary.

What's ironic about this season is the championship weekend is going to be awarded to a campus site (doesn't actually have to be on campus, it has to be the regular home rink the school uses during the season) of one of the four semifinalist. Hobart may be acceptable for a home playoff game for an early round, but in no way would they ever qualify to host the championship weekend. Hobart could go into the championship weekend seeded number one, but they won't get to host.
            I'm chuckling about your post...misinterpreting what I wrote is probably on me...I wrote the post hastily.

I've been back to the rink since they made all the improvements / additions (i.e. closed the lake-side w/ a glass wall, built the new locker rooms and built out the press box / loft). I've been inside the Hobart locker rooms (as a guest of Coach Taylor)...but not the women's room. The (newer) visitor area is OK for local Mite/Squirt/Peewee use, but still a joke for an NCAA team. I referenced the old rooms off the main lobby b/c that is where I (and some other alum) assume would be the best option to expand on the rink (i.e. blow out the wall out on this side and expand similar to what they did on the other side when they built Hobart's locker/training room). Maybe this is flawed logic...sounds like you're at the rink a lot more than I have been over the years so you'd probably know better than I.

I've seen numerous NCAA playoff games hosted at the Cooler. I remember the initial chatter and protest on this forum when they hosted their first few tourney games (I started keeping an eye on the team again around 20 yrs ago). I used to post on this forum - but grew tired of all the bickering and name calling so now I mostly just skim through certain threads from time to time.

My point was that, IMO, the only way Hobart will step up and try to fix this is if there is an urgent need to act (i.e. NCAA changes their tune and deems the rink unworthy of a tourney game).

Comment

Originally posted by llama View Post

I'm chuckling about your post...misinterpreting what I wrote is probably on me...I wrote the post hastily.

I've been back to the rink since they made all the improvements / additions (i.e. closed the lake-side w/ a glass wall, built the new locker rooms and built out the press box / loft). I've been inside the Hobart locker rooms (as a guest of Coach Taylor)...but not the women's room. The (newer) visitor area is OK for local Mite/Squirt/Peewee use, but still a joke for an NCAA team. I referenced the old rooms off the main lobby b/c that is where I (and some other alum) assume would be the best option to expand on the rink (i.e. blow out the wall out on this side and expand similar to what they did on the other side when they built Hobart's locker/training room). Maybe this is flawed logic...sounds like you're at the rink a lot more than I have been over the years so you'd probably know better than I.

I've seen numerous NCAA playoff games hosted at the Cooler. I remember the initial chatter and protest on this forum when they hosted their first few tourney games (I started keeping an eye on the team again around 20 yrs ago). I used to post on this forum - but grew tired of all the bickering and name calling so now I mostly just skim through certain threads from time to time.

My point was that, IMO, the only way Hobart will step up and try to fix this is if there is an urgent need to act (i.e. NCAA changes their tune and deems the rink unworthy of a tourney game).
              Okay, so we're observing the same thing.

Unless the NCAA changes their requirements (and I admit, I'm always surprised when Hobart gets a home NCAA playoff game, but at the same time, am glad, because it gives me another easy drive to see an NCAA playoff game), they seem to be okay with it. Or just don't care...
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Very excited that the Statesmen finally have a home on this site. As far as THE COOLER, I love the games played in such an intimate setting. When the students crowd around and fans are painted in orange and purple, you can't beat the atmosphere. But visiting Utica for a game is great and appropriate for Championship. At this point, we have a chance to get to the final four if we can stay healthy and keep playing good hockey. I've seen them play in the final four at Lake Placid and at Stevens Point, but never in the Championship game. Fingers crossed wherever the final four is played

Comment

I'm a Hobart alum. I remember as a student watching games in that rink, and it makes me laugh. I think I was a Frosh when Hobart brought Hockey back maybe 20 years ago and yea that rink was frigid with the wind whipping in off Seneca Lake. We would go to the Rumrunner (is that still there?) to get a lil buzz before watching the game so as not to freeze as much. How bout Cam's Pizza? Is that still up there? I will never forget the experience of the first time watching a girl dip her slice of pizza into a thing of blue cheese. She was from Upstate Ny somewhere, but yea the people love that blue cheese with the pizza. That was something I had never seen before or after. It is nice to Hobart Hockey #1 in D3 as it seems the HC has built a really good program from scratch and kept the thing going year after year. Looking forward to catching a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Right View Post
                    I'm a Hobart alum. I remember as a student watching games in that rink, and it makes me laugh. I think I was a Frosh when Hobart brought Hockey back maybe 20 years ago and yea that rink was frigid with the wind whipping in off Seneca Lake. We would go to the Rumrunner (is that still there?) to get a lil buzz before watching the game so as not to freeze as much. How bout Cam's Pizza? Is that still up there? I will never forget the experience of the first time watching a girl dip her slice of pizza into a thing of blue cheese. She was from Upstate Ny somewhere, but yea the people love that blue cheese with the pizza. That was something I had never seen before or after. It is nice to Hobart Hockey #1 in D3 as it seems the HC has built a really good program from scratch and kept the thing going year after year. Looking forward to catching a game.
                    Well, HC is #6 in the only ranking that matters, but it's still early... It looks very likely that it'll move up, once more games are played.

I could never figure out how Hobart recruited -and continues to recruit- so well, considering that gawd-awful venue it has.

As a Utica fan, I'm suspicious of foul play. The whole "owning Utica" thing was very likely rigged by the Dems, if you ask me...

Comment

If Hobart remains top team this year and is in the frozen four their fans can forget any possibility of a frozen four championship at the cooler. They would receive a playoff berth at the cooler, but beyond that they will have to travel

Comment

The Statesmen are at the Cooler this weekend against Castleton and Skidmore , and both teams are worthy of respect and potential . I never played Hockey, but I've observed that if there is any sport where the bounce of the puck/ball is an equalizer, it is Hockey. Hobart should stay focused because winning the NEHC is the only goal , so we qualify for the tournament. I'm hoping we continue to maintain the success, because it might get the attention of development and alums to look at upgrading the Cooler. This has been discussed a number of times, but has to be coordinated/negotiated with Geneva....building an independent facility would not pass budget consideration unless there is a VERY generous alum. Winning a Championship could be a real game changer as far as leapfrogging the priority of upgrading or building a new facility.

Comment

Hobart goes to 9-0 with 4-1 win over Castleton.....gotta give Castleton credit, very tough in first two periods as their goalie made a bazillion saves. Skidmore tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by lakont55 View Post
                            If Hobart remains top team this year and is in the frozen four their fans can forget any possibility of a frozen four championship at the cooler. They would receive a playoff berth at the cooler, but beyond that they will have to travel
                            Thanks for the update.

You still seem a bit wound up about the game back in October....when those awful Hobart students said mean things to the Oswego players?

Comment

Strong 4-0 win this afternoon against a solid Skidmore team. Another shutout!! Hobart put on a clinic, throwing 47 shots on goal and holding Skidmore to just 17 shots.

They've got three tough non-conference games coming up (Trinity, Colby and Salve Regina)....let's keep it rolling!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X