Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utica University 2022-23: Is This The Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Whoa, I need to back you up a bit. This is still Division III athletics. And school administrators with Division III athletics look at many different metrics than just wins and losses when making job determinations with coaches. So yes, Heenan may very well be completely safe for the very reasons many from Utica are stating. That's the nature of Division III athletics. And quite frankly, I wouldn't want to see that change in Division III athletics.
    Huge shot discrepancy, no doubt. I didn't watch this game, but I know numbers can be deceiving. Any team would rather have 10 'grade A's' out of 28 shots than 8 'grade A's' out of 62.

Comment

• Originally posted by altazo View Post

Huge shot discrepancy, no doubt. I didn't watch this game, but I know numbers can be deceiving. Any team would rather have 10 'grade A's' out of 28 shots than 8 'grade A's' out of 62.
      I have no idea what this response has to do with my post...
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Whoa, I need to back you up a bit. This is still Division III athletics. And school administrators with Division III athletics look at many different metrics than just wins and losses when making job determinations with coaches. So yes, Heenan may very well be completely safe for the very reasons many from Utica are stating. That's the nature of Division III athletics. And quite frankly, I wouldn't want to see that change in Division III athletics.
        But when they go up to D2, and hockey starts dropping games, that D111 mentality needs to change.
        Go 'Wick!

Comment

I have no idea what this response has to do with my post...
          Whoops, quoted wrong post. You get the gist...

Comment

• When is The U moving up??,sorry haven't been following the action..

Comment

• Originally posted by altazo View Post

Whoops, quoted wrong post. You get the gist...
              I know. I was just busting on you.
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                When is The U moving up??,sorry haven't been following the action..
                The same time Illinois is going to start a hockey program...

Seriously, I am so sick and tired of hearing about this and never seeing it happen. And please Utica fans, stop with the excuses. Wake me when it actually happens. Until then, I don't want to hear it.
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                  When is The U moving up??,sorry haven't been following the action..
                  Per a local radio interview with Heenan as well as various other local articles and word of mouth (this is obviously questionable, but I know people that are friendly with members of the program) my understanding is as follows. UU received NCAA approval to make the move to D2 for all sports, the school is attempting to join a D1 league for hockey and once that is finalized the school will transition. However, as discussed by some others here, there seems to be resistance among coaches of the perspective league in allowing UU to join.

Again though, there have been no hard, highly public statement’s on the exact direction the future holds, and I’m just sharing what I have seen/heard.

More here-say, but I have heard that next year’s Teddy Bear toss will be against a recently transitioned D1 team that seems to play D1 and D3 opponents. You can make of that what you want.

Comment

The same time Illinois is going to start a hockey program...

Seriously, I am so sick and tired of hearing about this and never seeing it happen. And please Utica fans, stop with the excuses. Wake me when it actually happens. Until then, I don't want to hear it.
                    This reaks of jealousy. Apparently we aren’t allowed to be excited for the future of Utica University hockey on the Utica University hockey thread. Go be miserable in a different thread.

Comment

• I remember when Oswego was in the process of making the new rink there was talk of moving the hockey to DI. Thankfully it did not happen. Please correct me if I am wrong but RIT, Union, Cancius, and recently St. Thomas are the last programs to jump from DIii to DI. RIT and Union had brief success but largely the programs have been irrelevant. Stay DIII in all sports and build all programs so they are very competitive so if that time to go DI does come them won't be cellar dwellers and will have an invite into a conference.
                      Has any thoughts been given if the DI experiment crashes and burns???
                      Oswego '88

Comment

• Is there any literature about a DI program having their own rink and not using a municipal rink?? If there is is UU willing to build a new complex??
                        Oswego '88

Comment

What are you talking about? I'm talking about a community deifing a coach who hasn't won anything. I'm not saying he should be canned.

Comment

• Originally posted by JSicedog View Post

This reaks of jealousy. Apparently we aren’t allowed to be excited for the future of Utica University hockey on the Utica University hockey thread. Go be miserable in a different thread.
                            Be careful with what you wish for Utica Hockey fans. Hobart lacrosse won 15 NCAA D3 Championships(12 in a row) and moved up to D1 in 1994. Since then, only half of our seasons have been .500 or above and we made it to the NCAA first round 5 times. We still get to play Syracuse and Cornell, but beat them less now than when we were D3. There are additional D1 expenses for medical and strength training and now a sport psychologist along with salary expectations for coaches and scholarships. I think there are many at Hobart that wish we were still dominating D3 lacrosse, although going D1 is prestigious and gets some national attention. I'm not sure being mediocre in D1 is better than a constant contender in D3, but hey, good luck either way.

Comment

No. It was in Detroit. Absolutely positively in Detroit -- Ford Field.

Unlike my screwup with the seedings (LOL) this year, I am not wrong on this one. RIT's Frozen Four was in Detroit. Absolutely, positively, Detroit.
                              You are correct, it was in Detroit. Still trying to figure out why I thought it was in Pittsburgh, other than because I was. I did watch it on TV though. At least I remembered it was 2010 on the day of my back surgery.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bartman View Post

Be careful with what you wish for Utica Hockey fans. Hobart lacrosse won 15 NCAA D3 Championships(12 in a row) and moved up to D1 in 1994. Since then, only half of our seasons have been .500 or above and we made it to the NCAA first round 5 times. We still get to play Syracuse and Cornell, but beat them less now than when we were D3. There are additional D1 expenses for medical and strength training and now a sport psychologist along with salary expectations for coaches and scholarships. I think there are many at Hobart that wish we were still dominating D3 lacrosse, although going D1 is prestigious and gets some national attention. I'm not sure being mediocre in D1 is better than a constant contender in D3, but hey, good luck either way.
                                You mention Syracuse lacrosse, the Powell brothers are from my hometown of West Carthage, NY. Their Mom Sue was a year behind me in school and their Dad Larry was on the Firematic Drill Team with me. Powell Lacrosse is the talk in that small NNY town.

Comment

Working...
                                X