Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utica University 2022-23: Is This The Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by altazo View Post

Seriously man, you been making misogynistic comments here for years. I get it that Sir Nubs is under your skin, but you’re showing everyone here that you deserve every bit of it. Do you have a daughter? Other women that you love and respect in your family?

I’m sure you probably consider yourself “old school” or maybe just “old.” But, nobody is too old to stop trying to do better.
    I have 3 surrogate grand-daughters who are my pride and joy... And you're absolutely right that I shouldn't put them in the same box as Nubbers.

My bad, and I mean that.

Comment

On the off-chance that we can steer this thing back to hockey, what do you people (those who actually WATCHED the game) think..?

My take was that Plymouth looked good. They skated well and had some dangerous hands on the two top lines.

Still, had the two teams exchanged goalies, UU might have won that one 6-1, 7-1, 8-1...

Utica has a deep, if unspectacular, roster. The D is pretty good, maybe even *really* good, but the 'tending isn't nearly as impressive as it's been for the better part of a decade or more.

I can see this team getting a berth and stalling-out early. Hope I'm wrong.

Comment

I watched the game. This PSU team is not as good or deep as last year's. They were also missing a top F and had guys playing sick. I would really love to see this match up again. Another thing, Utica has a great broadcaster but the filming and camera work is abysmal. If Utica honestly has designs on trying to go D1, you would need to get that sorted out.

Comment

Originally posted by MELIN27 View Post
          I watched the game. This PSU team is not as good or deep as last year's. They were also missing a top F and had guys playing sick. I would really love to see this match up again. Another thing, Utica has a great broadcaster but the filming and camera work is abysmal. If Utica honestly has designs on trying to go D1, you would need to get that sorted out.
          Usually the stream is waaay better, great HD stuff, but yeah, it was grainy for me tonight as well, and the camera guy/girl/them fell asleep at times.

Secondly, you're right about Ray Biggs. The man does his homework and I haven't heard or read any D-3 analyses that compare to his in the 22 years I've been following the sport.

And thirdly, this program isn't anywhere near ready for D-1, all media aside.

Good luck going forward. PSU looks like a tough out to me.

Comment

I believe the crew minus the broadcaster who usually does the game are home for break, so you probably had someone who has never done it before up there tonight

Comment

I caught the stream tonight and the camera work normally isn’t that poor. Whoever was behind the camera missed multiple goals. But again Ray Biggs is the best voice in D3 hockey, not sure why he hasn’t pursued anything greater as he is undoubtedly better than the Comets PBP guy.

On the other hand, Utica doesn’t inspire me. Good team, but leaves a lot to be desired.

Comment

Originally posted by JSicedog View Post

I caught the stream tonight and the camera work normally isn’t that poor. Whoever was behind the camera missed multiple goals. But again Ray Biggs is the best voice in D3 hockey, not sure why he hasn’t pursued anything greater as he is undoubtedly better than the Comets PBP guy.

On the other hand, Utica doesn’t inspire me. Good team, but leaves a lot to be desired.
                Deep team, excellent speed, very decent hands, but it doesn't look nearly as scary as the more recent iterations.

Lots of new pieces; perhaps it'll gel. UU has to get better in net to have a shot at the FF, though, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Deep team, excellent speed, very decent hands, but it doesn't look nearly as scary as the more recent iterations.

Lots of new pieces; perhaps it'll gel. UU has to get better in net to have a shot at the FF, though, IMO.
                  Unfortunately, that is the nature of college hockey. You get one step away from the team being really good and then graduation plus other losses for various reasons and you
                  might not be back to square one but you've certainly taken a step backwards. Makes me realize how difficult it is to build a team and how much establishing a good reputation as a program can help with recruitment.

Comment

Another thing I noticed tonight was many many empty seats.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyguy1424 View Post
                      Another thing I noticed tonight was many many empty seats.
                      Happens a lot. UU's attendance numbers are bolstered by a ton of corporate passes that were purchased before the season started. There are often many no-shows.

Still, the actual number of warm bodies there probably exceeded that of almost every other D-3 venue, and a whole lot of D-1 venues as well.

(Just curious, how did "your" team draw tonight..?)
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-26-2022, 09:13 PM.

Comment

“MY” team draw less than expected, I’m alum of UC/UU Fish. I worn the blue/orange/white, I’m disappointed from what I’m seeing at the Aud. During my time at UC, our group had tight relationship with hockey team. My post wasn’t a dig at Coach Heenan or his team. I think the lack of fans comes from a much bigger situation, created by the owner of the Aud..

Comment

Not impressed Utica. After a terrible broadcast on Friday night you can't even give the visiting teams the courtesy of any sound for their game. I guess you just packed up and decided the weekend was over? Would not recommend any teams respond to tournaments/showcases if the Utica org. can't offer basic services.

Comment

Sour grapes ??
                            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

How is wanting a decent broadcast sour grapes? Go watch the on demand for Friday's game. Now no sound at all. Not even rink sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyguy1424 View Post
                                “MY” team draw less than expected, I’m alum of UC/UU Fish. I worn the blue/orange/white, I’m disappointed from what I’m seeing at the Aud. During my time at UC, our group had tight relationship with hockey team. My post wasn’t a dig at Coach Heenan or his team. I think the lack of fans comes from a much bigger situation, created by the owner of the Aud..
                                OK, sorry. Right after I hit the send button, I kinda recalled you as a "friendly". (If you played for UC, I'm sure that I'd remember your name, and I might have even met your parents way back when.)

Still, as a season ticket holder for 22 years, I don't think that the attendance has dropped much of late. I recall estimating the 2000 crowds at around 600, and I considered that pretty damn good for a D-3 start-up. And it's just gotten better from that point on.

Of course, the paid attendance doesn't necessarily equate to buttocks in the seats... The only true capacity (3800 +) crowds I've ever seen there were during every TBT game and the two NCAA tourney games Utica has hosted, but averaging 2746 paid seats just this year ain't "lacking" at all. Utica leads D-3 yet again in that category, and easily beats many many D-1 teams in that regard as well. As you know, there's a lot of options for sports fans now, especially with all of the streaming options available.

IIRC, Oneida County owns The Aud..? But the Esche group has made it happen for multiple teams. I was very skeptical re: the viability of both Utica and an AHL team sharing the venue, but somehow it's worked very well. And the new complex next door is pretty impressive, too.

To end my monologue, I think Utica hockey will be fine going forward, but it remains to be seen how the pie will be sliced.
                                Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-27-2022, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X