Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***JCB***
    replied
    Flint, I wasn't trying to critique the women when I said the atmosphere was great and that's all I had to say. What I was trying to say with that last part was that I didn't want to talk about the men's team because they got shutout again for the second time in a week which has to be the first time that's ever happened since I began watching. Collegehockeystats says the team hasn't been shutout four times in a season in the past 25 years since you're so concerned with facts.

I appreciate learning some of the financial hardships which we know from news stories the vast majority of schools are going through unless it's giant state schools or private schools with bajillions in the endowment. But I don't buy the part about the town because hockey players want to play in hockey towns and Northfield can still be one. Let's pull back the curtain on the fact that the town and the students aren't supporting the team right now with the same energy they used to. Ive said this before there's nothing fun going on at the games. There used to be chuck-a-puck every night, silly races on the ice, chances to win a car with a shot from the center line, pizza giveaways in the crowd, skating with the team after a game or two and I'm sure I'm missing some others. There's nothing now other than 50-50 and a few kids scrimmages. The women brought back chuck-a-puck yesterday and people loved it. The students don't come to the games either and it's a shame. Prez brought this up a while back and it seems like the players and coaches aren't trying to be as big a part of the community any more. The players used to be all over the place in this town with tutoring and charity work and they even used to volunteer at other sporting events. This is something people talk about a lot and its that we don't know the players like we used to and we don't see them around.

All of this is to say that Norwich can do something that Hobart and endicott can't which is to invite recruits to a jammed packed Kreitzberg Arena. I still think this is possible but they really have to put in the effort to try to make that true again.

Leave a comment:

• KrbFlint
    replied
    Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post

Living on campus as a freshman was done before, food generally was never available anyway late. Not sure where the BLC stands with the quality of excellence funding, but there seems to be plenty of funding for uniforms. They have at least 5 sets of jerseys and 3 of pants.
    16 current players are from Canada, so they have been coming.
    There is an issue with the recruiting you don’t address.
    And some of the people posting here do have connections with the school and athletics.

And the women are in first place in the conference…..
    On campus living has been done before. Correct. Mike McShane fought it tooth and nail. You obviously missed the point with the late night food options (it’s not about food). I’m aware there are 16 Canadians; I said that’s the plan for 2024 enrollees. The financial disparity between the McShane era and now is indisputable. Mike once said he never lost a kid because of money (Mark Bolding too, for the record) and now the hockey programs lose kids because of cost routinely. This is a stone cold fact no matter how badly you want it to be Ellsworth’s fault.

The women might be in first place but if you don’t think they’re in decline, you aren’t paying attention.

We know you’re connected to the school (and others here too) but you apparently aren’t tuned in to what’s happening with enrollment/athletics/financial aid. As I said, ask anyone in athletics (hint, the rink guys aren’t in those meetings).

I love and support both Norwich hockey programs and want them to be elite but the school is currently cutting their (and other sports) legs out from under them while also expecting success.

Leave a comment:

• jerrynu26
    replied
    Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
    I think it’s time to pull back the curtain. I happen to hear a lot, so it’s time to put some stuff out there. Here are some facts contributing to the current struggles. Norwich is in a Covid-influenced financial deficit. The “solution” the administration came up with was to increase enrollment while lowering the discount rate. Ellsworth recruits are paying 10-20k more per year than McShane’s were. I know directly how many recruits have gone to Hobart, Endicott, etc because it was far cheaper. Even better, the current plan is to not aid international students at all for incoming 2024 enrollees. Brilliant.

Additionally, Norwich hockey is woefully underfunded compared to the other national powers in men’s hockey. Sticks, equipment, etc. Again, this is factual not speculative.

The university does not currently allow freshmen to live off campus. So, 21 year old freshman hockey players are forced to live in dorms. Another turn off.

Add these factors up, combined with a town where you can’t even get anything to eat after 9:00 or 10:00 pm and recruiting has become HARD.

I know it’s easy to say Cam doesn’t “like” offense or doesn’t recruit offensive skill well, but everything I just said is 100% true.

If you don’t believe it, ask any person in athletics at Norwich.
    Living on campus as a freshman was done before, food generally was never available anyway late. Not sure where the BLC stands with the quality of excellence funding, but there seems to be plenty of funding for uniforms. They have at least 5 sets of jerseys and 3 of pants.
    16 current players are from Canada, so they have been coming.
    There is an issue with the recruiting you don’t address.
    And some of the people posting here do have connections with the school and athletics.

And the women are in first place in the conference…..

Leave a comment:

• PuckVoice
    replied
    [QUOTE=KrbFlint;n3853420]I think it’s time to pull back the curtain. I happen to hear a lot, so it’s time to put some stuff out there. Here are some facts contributing to the current struggles. Norwich is in a Covid-influenced financial deficit. The “solution” the administration came up with was to increase enrollment while lowering the discount rate. Ellsworth recruits are paying 10-20k more per year than McShane’s were. I know directly how many recruits have gone to Hobart, Endicott, etc because it was far cheaper. Even better, the current plan is to not aid international students at all for incoming 2024 enrollees. Brilliant.

Additionally, Norwich hockey is woefully underfunded compared to the other national powers in men’s hockey. Sticks, equipment, etc. Again, this is factual not speculative.

The university does not currently allow freshmen to live off campus. So, 21 year old freshman hockey players are forced to live in dorms. Another turn off.

Add these factors up, combined with a town where you can’t even get anything to eat after 9:00 or 10:00 pm and recruiting has become HARD.

I know it’s easy to say Cam doesn’t “like” offense or wwedoesn’t recruit offensive skill well, but everything I just said is 100% true.
    Rrff
    If you don’t beliesf4eve it, ask any person in athletics at Norwich.[/QUOTES;

Interesting and enlightening stuff Flint ... and scary!

​​​​

Leave a comment:

• KrbFlint
    replied
    Originally posted by ***JCB*** View Post
    Great atmosphere at the women's game today and that's all I have to say.
    Is the simultaneous “collapse” of the women’s program Ellsworth’s fault too, or maybe everything in my previous post about institutional challenges is accurate. I mean, they’re coached by an ELITE offensive talent in Sophie Leclerc-Doherty and they’re having the same kind of struggles…

Leave a comment:

• KrbFlint
    replied
    I think it’s time to pull back the curtain. I happen to hear a lot, so it’s time to put some stuff out there. Here are some facts contributing to the current struggles. Norwich is in a Covid-influenced financial deficit. The “solution” the administration came up with was to increase enrollment while lowering the discount rate. Ellsworth recruits are paying 10-20k more per year than McShane’s were. I know directly how many recruits have gone to Hobart, Endicott, etc because it was far cheaper. Even better, the current plan is to not aid international students at all for incoming 2024 enrollees. Brilliant.

I know it’s easy to say Cam doesn’t “like” offense or doesn’t recruit offensive skill well, but everything I just said is 100% true.

If you don’t believe it, ask any person in athletics at Norwich.
    Last edited by KrbFlint; 01-20-2024, 11:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ***JCB***
    replied
    Great atmosphere at the women's game today and that's all I have to say.

Leave a comment:

• Norwich59
    replied
    Another "stinker" in the books today.

Leave a comment:

• jerrynu26
    replied
    Wouldn’t have to be a Kurtis, but that would be nice. Maybe a Rick Cleaver type.
    Or maybe a Toza to get some life…..

Leave a comment:

• Steve Day
    replied
    Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
    Tonight was a positive step ... J&W is a must win and three of the four goals came on the PP ... UMB tomorrow will be a a bigger test and another Must win.
    Expecting the positive.
    Every game from here on out is a must win. Miss you George

Steve Day NU 71

Leave a comment:

• PuckVoice
    replied
    First off I was off this thread for a few days ... Not trying in anyway to dodge the Middlebury game... Although I wish I could.
    I posted on Facebook what Derek said here ... Trap Game ... But Derek also said that is no excuse and on FB Dave Maxwell added that Championship teams don't get trapped.
    Tonight was a positive step ... J&W is a must win and three of the four goals came on the PP ... UMB tomorrow will be a a bigger test and another Must win.
    Expecting the positive.
    Last edited by PuckVoice; 01-19-2024, 11:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dwb
    replied
    I think we must keep in mind that this a very young team with only two seniors and for those freshmen it is still a big jump to go from juniors(playing against players that are relatively the same age)to playing against 23-24 aged players-I"m not making excuses but I expect to see them play better moving forward

Leave a comment:

• jerrynu26
    replied
    Start of some road trips this weekend. Looking at the schedule I can see them going 5-3 at best, more likely 4-4. Currently in 2nd and I think we will still see one home playoff game, no more. Just too inconsistent.
    If they played every game with the intensity of the Elmira-Hobart weekend, they would be fine but there is still something that keeps that from happening.

Leave a comment:

• bakdraft21
    replied
    Originally posted by Bog Hockey View Post
    There’s not a level in D3 hockey this program can’t play down to…
    lol....Oswego does a pretty good job as well...

Leave a comment:

• jerrynu26
    replied
    Originally posted by Bog Hockey View Post
    There’s not a level in D3 hockey this program can’t play down to…
    And where does that start? I think we have a decent idea on that……

Leave a comment:

Working...
X