Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AmericanCadet
    replied
    My comments on the USM game. It was Ellsworth’s fault. What I saw was an extreme defensive strategy…it was their Hobart philosophy. Careful spending numbers into the offensive zone, keep defense deep and clog the shooting lanes in the defensive zone. This was not appropriate against USM…. USM, of course, blanketed Kerner, and started to really look to break out turnovers on the wing. There guys were going HARD in the 2nd and 3rd down the wings…and it finally worked.

Norwich isn’t inept offensively, but going down can be a problem as they aren’t great either. While Ellsworth’s strategy almost worked, it was silly against a team like USM.

Leave a comment:

• AmericanCadet
    replied
    I am newer to Vermont and love D3 hockey. I have watched as many home Norwich games as possible during the three years I have been here. I would like to provide some insight financially.

I compared the financial statements of Hobart June 2022 and Norwich May 2022 and 2023. Financially it appears these two schools are similar. Similar revenue, similar endowments. Hobart lost $41M during the year ending June 2022 and Norwich lost $44M during year ending May 2022 and $12M the year ending May 2023.

The United States of course dealt with COVID but they are also dealing with GenZ. GenZ is a small generation. For sure a number of colleges will go under in the next 10 years. $12M is a big loss for a college the size of Norwich. I don’t think they can rely on large increases in enrollment or increasing tuition to deal with these losses. Schools across America will be vying for smaller numbers of people. Increased costs and smaller scholarships will likely not work well for Norwich as other schools, will maintain costs or increase scholarships to survive.

Just focusing on athletics alone, my personal belief is Norwich needs to look in the mirror and make tough decisions across all of their athletic programs. Football is a VERY expensive sport. I think based on Norwich’s football history, that eliminating football as a program is a good idea. As schools fight for fewer students, I don’t see Norwich winning that battle for D3 football players. Hockey, they can still complete, especially if monies were reallocated to the hockey programs. Time is not on their side for this decision. As pointed out in this thread Norwich is going for the increased cost model in 2024, and this will handcuff Ellsworth. Attracting hockey talent is not guaranteed based on one’s arena, Norwich can easily be the new Middlebury. Ultimately money talks. Hockey scholarships will be required, great locker rooms, top notch equipment provided for free or low cost and housing is required. This can be accomplished by axing the football program.

Sorry to Norwich football fans, but the college must determine what sports they can compete with and what sports they can afford. Sabine Field won’t go fallow, as the field can host rugby, soccer and lacrosse…..all currently competitive programs.

Yes donors will be upset, but the case must be made. Does Norwich want a .500 hockey club, where the highlight of the year is beating a lower ranked team once or twice, with Middlebury hockey attendance figures?

Keeping the football team won’t lead Norwich to athletic glory either. If they were to win 4 games a year, that would be considered a monumental success.
    Last edited by AmericanCadet; 02-21-2024, 05:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lord_Zubin
    replied
    Are u guys okay? Do y'all need a hug or a drink or a vacation or something?

Leave a comment:

• Bog Hockey
    replied
    Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
    From a philosophical perspective, most experts agree that: while inspiration can come from an external source, motivation originates internally.
    Really, is that your contribution to a very real and growing issue? Troll elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• elbojpb
    replied
    Originally posted by Bog Hockey View Post
    The responsibility for motivating each and every player to play “full tilt” each and every game does not fall on the Captains. It must come from the top, and if Ellsworth is not able to motivate each player in that fashion, then there is most definitely a leadership void.
    From a philosophical perspective, most experts agree that: while inspiration can come from an external source, motivation originates internally.

Leave a comment:

• KrbFlint
    replied
    Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
    Haven’t heard the answer to this yet.
    Ask em. You’re all superfans. It’s d3. The guys are out and about in town all the time.

Ask a player if he respects Cam, and if he says yes, ask him why he doesn’t put out effort.

Report back with the answer because I would be interested as well. Maybe I’m way off and they don’t respect Cam. I doubt it, but I’d admit if I was wrong.

Leave a comment:

• jerrynu26
    replied
    Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
    How can they have "so much respect and admiration" that they don't put out the effort?????
    Haven’t heard the answer to this yet.

Leave a comment:

• KrbFlint
    replied
    Prez, you were around for a few years. What do you think? Do the players respect Cam Ellsworth?

Leave a comment:

• KrbFlint
    replied
    Originally posted by ***JCB*** View Post

I'm sorry but you are such a BS artist. He's probably a good guy I don't know I've never even met the man but this is taking it way too far. They won 14/26 games. Profound respect and admiration? Give me a break. Most people only feel that way about a few others their whole lives but you're telling us that the majority of this middling team feels this way about Cam Ellsworth? LOL
    Apology accepted.

I would encourage you to meet him at some point and have a conversation. I’ve had many. You can think what you want about his hockey coaching but I have found him to be a man of extremely high character. I think the players have the utmost respect for him, based primarily around said character.

I was asked if the players respected him. I answered that question. Does character make you a good hockey coach? It certainly helps, but the answer I gave has nothing to do with coaching acumen.

Leave a comment:

• ***JCB***
    replied
    Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post

I believe he does. Very much so. I have not interacted with every player on the roster, but the ones I have spoken to have expressed a profound respect and admiration for their coach.
    I'm sorry but you are such a BS artist. He's probably a good guy I don't know I've never even met the man but this is taking it way too far. They won 14/26 games. Profound respect and admiration? Give me a break. Most people only feel that way about a few others their whole lives but you're telling us that the majority of this middling team feels this way about Cam Ellsworth? LOL

Leave a comment:

• jerrynu26
    replied
    How can they have "so much respect and admiration" that they don't put out the effort?????

Leave a comment:

• Fishman'81
    replied
    Originally posted by ***JCB*** View Post
    What about Dominick Dawes? Won a natty with Neumann and seems to be doing a great job with Stevenson recruiting people to play at a town rink off campus
    I think he'd be a solid bet.

Leave a comment:

• KrbFlint
    replied
    Originally posted by Bog Hockey View Post

We need to keep peeling the onion back on this situation. Or take the 5Ws approach, I don’t care.

The responsibility for motivating each and every player to play “full tilt” each and every game does not fall on the Captains. It must come from the top, and if Ellsworth is not able to motivate each player in that fashion, then there is most definitely a leadership void. There’s really no other way to view it.

Flint, does he have the players’ respect?
    I believe he does. Very much so. I have not interacted with every player on the roster, but the ones I have spoken to have expressed a profound respect and admiration for their coach.

Leave a comment:

• Bog Hockey
    replied
    Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
    All I know is, if you were around this season (outside of game hours, including late into the night last night) Ellsworth was pretty GD frustrated with the effort level all year, sat guys more than once because of it, and had much more of an “edge” as a coach than years prior. I walked into Doyle Hall one afternoon to witness him having the guys stand there looking at the banners while “enthusiastically” telling them the effort it takes to win them.

I know I said that was my last post for a while, but the idea that Ellsworth is hunky dory with the lack of intensity is wrong. Again, we all agree that there is an issue (this time it’s all out effort), where we differ is my belief that he can get it fixed.

On topic, that’s what I love about Clark Kerner and Pat O’Neal; full tilt all the time.
    We need to keep peeling the onion back on this situation. Or take the 5Ws approach, I don’t care.

The responsibility for motivating each and every player to play “full tilt” each and every game does not fall on the Captains. It must come from the top, and if Ellsworth is not able to motivate each player in that fashion, then there is most definitely a leadership void. There’s really no other way to view it.

Flint, does he have the players’ respect?

Leave a comment:

• PrezdeJohnson09
    replied
    On a more positive note...

I was at the Bruins game last Tuesday and during the intermission an Aucoin with the #5 was out there and ended up scoring a goal. It seemed to be too much of a coincidence with all those factors of being in Boston, the name and the number...I texted Keith and sure enough that was his kid out there!

Also, Gabriel Chicoine is currently third in the ECHL in points by a defenseman. 11 goals, 30 assists 41 points in 46 games played. I would think/hope he's on track to get a sniff of the AHL at some point and get a call up to Providence?!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X