Norwich 2022-23 Back to Normal (ish)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bog Hockey View Post
    Flint, I agree with you. Question though… Will recruiting for scorers be a challenge for NU given its growing reputation as a defensive-centric system where offense may be considered an afterthought? If one had a reputation for scoring, not sure I’d be drawn to this system. A public commitment may be needed. Thanks, as always, for your thoughts and insight.
    Good question, and one I don’t know the answer to. I would think that an offensive standout being courted by NU would see an opportunity to make a significant impact early at a blue blood program, but I guess time will tell.

I did see a commitment on Twitter from a kid who was playing with the Northeast Generals. Former Generals on the roster include Nagle, Kerner, and Gaudette - who have all show an ability to put the puck in the net. So, fingers crossed?

Comment

• Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post

I don’t disagree, but I also saw too many times this season where there was a puck on the ice and an open net but no one could get their stick on it/put it in the back of the net. Scorers bury those. I’m hoping for a couple guys coming in who can score, an improved offensive system, and the elite defense and goaltending we’re accustomed to.
      Not trying to be a contrarian, but scorers put shots in the net. Grinders and hustlers get around the net and shovel loose pucks in. They need both. ( I will say 24 looks to be an in-close hustler due to his size)
      Go 'Wick!

Comment

• Any word on how Kerner is doing? As he went off the ice straight into the locker room, he wasn't putting any weight on the leg, (I think it was his right leg). The season is over, so he has a lot of healing time. I hope it's not a serious injury for his sake.
        There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

• What a Great COMMO report prior to game Saturday night highlighting all the Quarterfinal's wins and losses over the years
          George You will be missed

NU71
          Steve Day(NU71)
          Go Cadets

Comment

• Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
            Any word on how Kerner is doing? As he went off the ice straight into the locker room, he wasn't putting any weight on the leg, (I think it was his right leg). The season is over, so he has a lot of healing time. I hope it's not a serious injury for his sake.
            I have heard about it, but second hand. I won't give the specifics, which may not even be accurate, but if it is - he'll be just fine for next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
              Not trying to be a contrarian, but scorers put shots in the net. Grinders and hustlers get around the net and shovel loose pucks in. They need both. ( I will say 24 looks to be an in-close hustler due to his size)
              I agree with you; too many loose pucks out front which could've/should've been goals. When I say "scorers" I mean guys who put it in, period. I reserve "sniper" for the shooters lol.

Comment

I agree with you; too many loose pucks out front which could've/should've been goals. When I say "scorers" I mean guys who put it in, period. I reserve "sniper" for the shooters lol.
                The last real sniper I recall on the team was Will Pelletier. Maxime Bourdas maybe. Coby Downs might have gotten there, but didn’t stay.
                Go 'Wick!

Comment

• Saw roads in Northfield are closed. Everyone OK up there?
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Saw roads in Northfield are closed. Everyone OK up there?
                    Northfield, for the most part, got through everything ok - particularly Norwich and the immediate area. The rugby pitch is in TOUGH shape. The further out from downtown Northfield, the worse it got. However, our neighbors Montpelier and Barre got CRUSHED. Gonna be quite a while before things are "normal" in either city.

Comment

• Looks like a lot of potential scoring and definitely increased size coming to campus this fall...... ..
                      Go 'Wick!

Comment

• Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
                        Looks like a lot of potential scoring and definitely increased size coming to campus this fall...... ..
                        Have you seen a recruit list anywhere? I've seen a couple twitter posts but nothing from Norwich.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyFan2000 View Post

Have you seen a recruit list anywhere? I've seen a couple twitter posts but nothing from Norwich.
                          Traditionally, Norwich doesn’t announce their incoming class until the guys are on campus for classes. Started under McShane and continued by Ellsworth

Comment

• Elite Prospects has some good info.
                            Go 'Wick!

Comment

Traditionally, Norwich doesn’t announce their incoming class until the guys are on campus for classes. Started under McShane and continued by Ellsworth
                              Most schools do it that way. Because it's D3, so nothing is tying the player to the school (there is no letter of intent signed), you don't know for sure if the player is attending your school until they enroll in classes.
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Norwich gets a new assistant coach (and a golf coach)

/ from Norwich press release /

Men's Golf: Cam Clarke Named Head Men's Golf Coach

Cam Clarke enters his first season as the Head Men's Golf Coach at Norwich University. The golf team made its return to campus as a varsity sport in 2022. Clarke will also serves as an Assistant Coach with the Men's Hockey team.

"It is an honor to be chosen as the next Head Men's Golf Coach in addition to being named an Assistant Men'sHockey Coach," said Coach Clarke. "Thank you to President Anarumo, Director of Athletics Ed Hockenbury, Head Men's Hockey coach Cam Ellsworth, and members of the search committee. I am looking forward to building on the successful restart of the golf team and helping to continue the consistent success of the nationally ranked Cadet hockey program."

"Cam Clarke is an excellent fit as both our Head Men's Golf Coach and Assistant Men's Hockey Coach," said Norwich University Director of Athletics Ed Hockenbury. "He was a very successful athlete in both golf and hockey, having played hockey in college and professionally, and he continues play golf competitively today. Cam's values align with ours in Norwich Athletics, and we are fortunate to have him join our coaching staff. Our student-athletes in both sports will certainly benefit from his experience and we look forward to seeing his impact both on the course and the ice."

Clarke had a very successful high school golf career in Michigan. It included first and second place finishes in the SEC Conference of Michigan as a junior and senior in high school. Also, he placed in the top-15 of Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) Regional Tournaments, as well as qualifying for one MHSAA State Tournament. He had a very decorated high school golf career where he was one of the top golfers in the county. Cam has continued to play competitive golf in various club tournaments and events.

After high school, Clarke focused on furthering his athletic career in hockey. He played junior hockey in the North American Hockey League (NAHL) for the Lone Star Brahmas where he was named Defenseman of the Year. Clarke was then drafted by the Boston Bruins in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft (5th Round #136 Overall). He then went on to play Division 1 hockey at Ferris State University where he earned a Bachelor's Degree in Finance. After leaving Ferris State, Cam played three professional seasons in the ECHL for the Wichita Thunder and Toledo Walleye.

"My family and I are excited to be joining Norwich University and having the opportunity to be both the Head Men's Golf Coach as well as working with the Cadet Men's Hockey program," said Clarke. "I am eager to meeting the golf team when they arrive on August 18th for the start of the preseason and get the 2024 season started."

Cam lives in Northfield with his wife Claire, daughter Scottie and their dog Banks.

Comment

Working...
                                X