Norwich 2022-23 Back to Normal (ish)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
    For what it’s worth, Platty is a very different team now than it was 3 months ago - playing their best hockey at the most crucial time of year - I have not clue where Norwich is on this scale, but the Birds played a solid rivalry game in a tough atmosphere - as the Prez knows all too well, things never are what they seem this time of year…underestimate the Cardinals at your own peril. Good Luck Cadets!
    I don’t think anyone affiliated with Norwich hockey is going to be underestimating the Cardinals.

Comment

• Talk about a "clash of the titans". NO disrespect intended to Endicott...and I know there are no "easy" or "easier" quarterfinal games....but I would not want to have to face the winner of this game.

Comment

• Great first period!

Comment

• What a great win.

Comment

• Win and advance, yes please. Great, gutsy win against a hot team in their barn! Go Wick

Comment

• Finally, another complete game. Play this way, and advance. Great job. And now, Endicott, another team they know. Play with the same effort!! Unbelievable that no penalties were called…..and there was even more checking…
              Go 'Wick!

Comment

• Awesome start, awesome intensity, awesome defense, awesome offense, awesome consistency, awesome team work, to sum it all up... an amazing game! Onto Endicott we go!
                There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

• Flint, they did it! I wasn’t able to watch the game so please share what you liked about their performance and who really came to play tonight. Thanks, as always.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bog Hockey View Post
                    Flint, they did it! I wasn’t able to watch the game so please share what you liked about their performance and who really came to play tonight. Thanks, as always.
                    Aggressive offensively. The forecheck was outstanding all night. Noah Williams. Mantaro. Atherton. Pat O’Neal blocked a shot which may have been the play of the game (outside of the GW goal). If he doesn’t get to it, it was headed to the back of the net.

FWIW, and I’m not being snarky, our defense-first mentality allowed us to get that win, IMO. Platty has some DANGEROUSLY skilled guys. One step out of position and you pay. I think if we’d “taken chances” to generate offense, they would’ve put 3 or more goals up. But we played the elite defense we usually play and held a really, really good team to one goal at home.

Callum Jones getting the winner is so awesome. If anyone on here has ever met the kid, I’m sure you agree. Just an outstanding, tough, gritty human. Thrilled for him, and the boys.

Comment

• Welp, that’s that. Had a chance to absolutely bury Endicott in the first, but the inability to put the puck in the back of the net shows up and Endicott survives long enough to settle in. They get the greasy, sloppy goal and we don’t recover.

Comment

• Defensive mindsets are fine. But our offense looks like they have ZERO game plan. I guess Kerner going out can hurt that but damn. Offense / Power Play makes me want to vomit.

Comment

• Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post
                          Defensive mindsets are fine. But our offense looks like they have ZERO game plan. I guess Kerner going out can hurt that but damn. Offense / Power Play makes me want to vomit.
                          Kerner going out early certainly didn’t help. The power play was poor; I don’t remember a single second of power play time where I felt like we had it set up and were able to execute anything.

I’ve got to believe there will be an emphasis on scoring in recruiting this year. If we can improve offensively, and keep our stout defense, Norwich can be elite.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post

Kerner going out early certainly didn’t help. The power play was poor; I don’t remember a single second of power play time where I felt like we had it set up and were able to execute anything.

I’ve got to believe there will be an emphasis on scoring in recruiting this year. If we can improve offensively, and keep our stout defense, Norwich can be elite.
                            Improving offensively (for this team) is more about having a system to execute than it is about having scorers. There are enough scores, but once Endicott clogged entry into the offensive zone halfway thru the first, too much effort was expended getting across the blue line to be as effective in the zone.
                            The system is what it has been all year. The offense needs a better plan.
                            Last edited by jerrynu26; 03-19-2023, 11:12 AM.
                            Go 'Wick!

Comment

• Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
                              Improving offensively (for this team) is more about having a system to execute than it is about having scorers. There are enough scores, but once Endicott clogged entry into the offensive zone halfway thru the first, too much effort was expended getting across the blue line to be as effective in the zone.
                              The system is what it has been all year. The offense needs a better plan.
                              I don’t disagree, but I also saw too many times this season where there was a puck on the ice and an open net but no one could get their stick on it/put it in the back of the net. Scorers bury those. I’m hoping for a couple guys coming in who can score, an improved offensive system, and the elite defense and goaltending we’re accustomed to.

Comment

• Flint, I agree with you. Question though… Will recruiting for scorers be a challenge for NU given its growing reputation as a defensive-centric system where offense may be considered an afterthought? If one had a reputation for scoring, not sure I’d be drawn to this system. A public commitment may be needed. Thanks, as always, for your thoughts and insight.

Comment

Working...
                                X