No announcement yet.

Norwich 2022-23 Back to Normal (ish)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crickets all year and then we get more comments after the year is over about the ‘downfall of the program’.

my biggest question is how do we fill the seats? Awful attendance outside of playoffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post
      Crickets all year and then we get more comments after the year is over about the ‘downfall of the program’.

my biggest question is how do we fill the seats? Awful attendance outside of playoffs.
      It's been said many times many ways.......OFFENSE!

Comment

Crickets all year and then we get more comments after the year is over about the ‘downfall of the program’.

playoff tickets are also half as expensive as the regular season. Don’t tell me that’s not part of the equation of why the playoff games get much higher attendance.

The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

playoff tickets are also half as expensive as the regular season. Don’t tell me that’s not part of the equation of why the playoff games get much higher attendance.

100% agree with you there.

Comment

Not mine!

Comment

You'll always have the fair weather fans at every level in every city that don't show up during the regular season, but want to be first in line for the playoff tickets. Plattsburgh had more than 1,600 for Saturday's SUNYAC semifinal game. There were way more people in the building than usually attend a game. I doubt that's a coincidence....
              Steve
              Penn State Class of '95
              Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

IMO, it's season ticket holders who do not regularly attend the regular season weekends, but keep those seats locked up for those who may want to. I completely understand the idea that purchasing season "helps" support the program, but I wish Norwich would come up with a way to release those seats the week of the game if the owner isn't coming. To be clear, I am not "blaming" season ticket holders; rather imploring the powers that be to enact a program to free up unused seats.

I would push back on the idea that more offense would bring more people into the rink. The declining attendance has been an issue for years and years. As noted by other posters, empty seats isn't unique to Norwich, but it does suck.

I'm sure there are ideas out there (giveaways, events, etc.) but Norwich has long suffered from a "we've always done it this way" mentality and any kind of change moves at a glacial pace. I do know, for example, there was resistance to all the "pomp and circumstance" (for lack of a better term) that the NEC game featured -with no rational and viable reasons given. If it weren't for the efforts and persistence of Ed Hockenbury, none of it would've happened.

From a student attendance perspective, there is a simmering issue at Norwich. The proverbial well has been poisoned within the Corps; there is a disdain for varsity athletes - despite MANY of the athletes (thought not hockey) being in the Corps. I'm told this is a military college issue, rather than a Norwich problem. That being said the new Commandant is an alum who was an athlete, so I am optimistic things can improve.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post

IMO, it's season ticket holders who do not regularly attend the regular season weekends, but keep those seats locked up for those who may want to. I completely understand the idea that purchasing season "helps" support the program, but I wish Norwich would come up with a way to release those seats the week of the game if the owner isn't coming. To be clear, I am not "blaming" season ticket holders; rather imploring the powers that be to enact a program to free up unused seats.

I would push back on the idea that more offense would bring more people into the rink. The declining attendance has been an issue for years and years. As noted by other posters, empty seats isn't unique to Norwich, but it does suck.

I'm sure there are ideas out there (giveaways, events, etc.) but Norwich has long suffered from a "we've always done it this way" mentality and any kind of change moves at a glacial pace. I do know, for example, there was resistance to all the "pomp and circumstance" (for lack of a better term) that the NEC game featured -with no rational and viable reasons given. If it weren't for the efforts and persistence of Ed Hockenbury, none of it would've happened.

From a student attendance perspective, there is a simmering issue at Norwich. The proverbial well has been poisoned within the Corps; there is a disdain for varsity athletes - despite MANY of the athletes (thought not hockey) being in the Corps. I'm told this is a military college issue, rather than a Norwich problem. That being said the new Commandant is an alum who was an athlete, so I am optimistic things can improve.
                  I have been a season ticket holder since before the first game at Kreitzberg, so I’ll chime in.
                  First, a process does exist where season ticket holders can have their tickets resold on a per game basis. A win/win, the university makes twice the money for that seat.
                  Second, and this has happened to me a few times, late changes in life might prevent me from attending, so turning tix in doesn’t work.
                  Third, and final, any empty seats are available to sit in, so long as the owner doesn’t show. With the amount of standing room in the arena, any empty seats could be filled by people moving into them.

In the first situation, a seat ticket is sold once, for the other two, it could be sold twice.
                  Season ticket holders are a reliable amount of income, year after year, and if they don’t choose to attend, that’s up to them.

the biggest reason people may not show is because it often is easier to watch the game from home.
                  Until, and unless, games are sellouts, there isn’t a problem.
                  the corps did show up for the last regular season game, but generally their attendance is spotty. It may be the the corps looks down on varsity athletes, but what about the civilian side? That is a pretty sizable number of students, and most of the players are civilians. So the corps shouldn’t get all the blame.
                  would having some ‘extras’ bring in more people? It’s possible that a few might. But who runs these events? The arena staff is overworked already. University staff? With either group the event must at least break even, so not much chance of that.
                  Blue Line Club? While volunteering the work effort, the event again has to make money. And that club is short on local members too.

Norwich is 4th in the country on attendance, so there are a lot of teams doing well with half empty arenas. So until there are sellouts with a lot of empty seats, I see no problem.
                  Go 'Wick!

Comment

• Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
                    I have been a season ticket holder since before the first game at Kreitzberg, so I’ll chime in.
                    First, a process does exist where season ticket holders can have their tickets resold on a per game basis. A win/win, the university makes twice the money for that seat.
                    Second, and this has happened to me a few times, late changes in life might prevent me from attending, so turning tix in doesn’t work.
                    Third, and final, any empty seats are available to sit in, so long as the owner doesn’t show. With the amount of standing room in the arena, any empty seats could be filled by people moving into them.

In the first situation, a seat ticket is sold once, for the other two, it could be sold twice.
                    Season ticket holders are a reliable amount of income, year after year, and if they don’t choose to attend, that’s up to them.

the biggest reason people may not show is because it often is easier to watch the game from home.
                    Until, and unless, games are sellouts, there isn’t a problem.
                    the corps did show up for the last regular season game, but generally their attendance is spotty. It may be the the corps looks down on varsity athletes, but what about the civilian side? That is a pretty sizable number of students, and most of the players are civilians. So the corps shouldn’t get all the blame.
                    would having some ‘extras’ bring in more people? It’s possible that a few might. But who runs these events? The arena staff is overworked already. University staff? With either group the event must at least break even, so not much chance of that.
                    Blue Line Club? While volunteering the work effort, the event again has to make money. And that club is short on local members too.

Norwich is 4th in the country on attendance, so there are a lot of teams doing well with half empty arenas. So until there are sellouts with a lot of empty seats, I see no problem.
                    That's great! My understanding was that it wasn't possible, so I'm thrilled to hear that it is. I agree with you that streaming has played a role too; it's often easier to sit at home (with a cold beverage of your choice) and watch rather than trek out into the cold. I'm very guilty of going to Kreitzberg on Friday nights, but watching Saturday games at home.

For the record, I wasn't blaming the Corps, just acknowledging an issue that may be affecting student turnout. The club games are usually jam packed with Corps kids, so there is certainly some kind of divide/disconnect between the Corps and varsity athletics. For now, at least, the Corps is still the largest portion of the student body, so if they choose to stay in, it shows. It's a bit of a catch-22 because I'm sure the Corps prefers to support Corps athletes, but our hockey programs can't compete at a national level with a roster full of Corps kids. I suppose it is what it is, for the time being.

I attend a lot of home games, not just hockey, and in general the students who are at games are civilians.

I hope none of these posts come across as "blaming". I do think it's a good conversation because environment matters. The story I heard was that there was a high priority recruit at the NEC game and he was blown away by the atmosphere. Every school in the country, at every level, hopes to not have recruits watch a game in a half empty barn. If we want elite recruits (which I think we all do), every little bit helps!

Comment

• I do think the advancement of streaming has put a damper on a lot of crowds. It is the same thing here in Utica, crowds are not the same as they were 5-10 years ago, save for the special 2-3 games per year. Same could be said for Plattsburgh, Oswego, etc.

Comment

I hope none of these posts come across as "blaming". I do think it's a good conversation because environment matters.
                        I didn’t take it as blaming, but my posts tend to be ‘matter of fact’ in tone.

In regards to recruits, having 30+ on the roster tends to inhibit the desire to come. And when some of them inevitably leave (and often if they stay) they tend to ‘spread the word’ that it might not be a great place to go.
                        I believe the Endicott roster has at least a few who heard that tale.
                        Go 'Wick!

Comment

• Who would've thought after all this, Norwich is still going dancing

Comment

• Originally posted by Pioneer247 View Post
                            Who would've thought after all this, Norwich is still going dancing
                            And with wins this year over Hobart and Endicott…anything is possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pioneer247 View Post
                              Who would've thought after all this, Norwich is still going dancing
                              I was hoping Plattsburg would win and help Norwich get in , as I believe the NEHC is too strong not to have 2 teams in the dance. Good luck to the Cadets.

Comment

And with wins this year over Hobart and Endicott…anything is possible.
                                I would imagine Norwich has played the most or close to the highest number of games against teams in the NCAA field.

Curry, Endicott, Plattsburgh (2), Hobart (2)

3-3 record vs. that crew too. Not too shabby.
                                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X