No announcement yet.

Norwich 2022-23 Back to Normal (ish)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Thanksgiving to all posters and Norwich University! I am thankful for my family, my health and the fact that we have a hockey season this year...go Cadets!!!
    There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

Be There
      Section 20
      Steve Day(NU71)
      Go Cadets

Comment

Attendance should be good (I hope) seeing that there are 3 out the 4 teams being ranked, and relatively close proximity for 2 of the 3 visiting teams. Being that I now live in Florida, I'll watch the game on line. But I will be there in spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
          Attendance should be good (I hope) seeing that there are 3 out the 4 teams being ranked, and relatively close proximity for 2 of the 3 visiting teams. Being that I now live in Florida, I'll watch the game on line. But I will be there in spirit.
          It will probably be decent but remember the Plattsburgh and Middlebury fans don’t travel near as well as they used to. Plattsburgh has a local Northfield kid Doney so that should help boost their games a bit.

Remember most of the students are on break which always takes away a good 300-400 or more students that usually show up for Friday night games.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Panthers getting boat raced early by Plattsburgh.

Cardinals were up 2-0, 4 minutes in and then 3-0 12 mins in.

Plattsburgh way faster.
            GO LAKERS!!!
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Plattsburgh wins 5-0 over Middlebury. they are fast and have good passing. A lot better than the past few years, for sure.

Comment

Norwich did a good job taking advantage of Aurora’s parade to the penalty box in the second period with a couple of PP goals to prove to be the difference.

if Aurora stayed disciplined, might have been a different outcome. But that’s a good win for Norwich taking advantage of chances. Couple of nice goals, including Elgstam sniping for his goal.

Should be a dandy of a championship game with Plattsburgh and Norwich tomorrow at 7pm.
                GO LAKERS!!!
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  Norwich did a good job taking advantage of Aurora’s parade to the penalty box in the second period with a couple of PP goals to prove to be the difference.

if Aurora stayed disciplined, might have been a different outcome. But that’s a good win for Norwich taking advantage of chances. Couple of nice goals, including Elgstam sniping for his goal.

Should be a dandy of a championship game with Plattsburgh and Norwich tomorrow at 7pm.
                  Cadets got the lead because Aurora couldn’t stay out of the box, then gave the Spartans too many chances because Norwich couldn’t stay out of the box.

Good win against a solid team last night. Gotta stay out of the box tonight. I suspect Platty will make you pay if you take too many penalties. Looking forward to a great game.

Comment

Agreed, staying out of the box and taking a lot of shots with crashing the net is going to be the deciding factor in tonight's game vs Plattsburgh. Go get'em Cadets!

Comment

Not a great 1st period. Cadets looking sluggish.

Really impressed with Plattsburgh’s improvement from last year
                      Last edited by KrbFlint; 11-26-2022, 07:09 PM.

Comment

You can win a game period by period, but can't by playing only 1 period. Too many players standing still and not hustling like McKenzie and Williams do. During the first two periods there were so many instances where the Cadets didn't see where the puck was and the passing was really slow and behind the target. It is what it is and nothing takes away the fact that Plattsburgh out played us and deserved the win. I also think the refs missed a lot of calls on both sides...like the goalie tripping our player as he passed in front of the net during a whistle (he didn't even have the puck). Coach will certainly make this game a good teaching moment.
                        Last edited by 17'sfanNU; 11-26-2022, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
                          You can win a game period by period, but can't by playing only 1 period. Too many players standing still and not hustling like McKenzie and Williams do. During the first two periods there were so many instances where the Cadets didn't see where the puck was and the passing was really slow and behind the target. It is what it is and nothing takes away the fact that Plattsburgh out played us and deserved the win. I also think the refs missed a lot of calls on both sides...like the goalie tripping our player as he passed in front of the net during a whistle (he didn't even have the puck). Coach will certainly make this game a good teaching moment.
                          When “we’re” not playing well, our offense resembles NBA offenses; one guy trying to go it alone while everyone else watches. It felt a little like that tonight (and vs Castleton). No sustained puck movement. Couldn’t maintain possession and get enough quality looks. That said, I think Plattsburgh’s speed and skating had a lot to do with it.

Cadets are going to be fine though. Under Ellsworth, they play their best hockey after the break.

Comment

Plattsburgh definitely earned it. Moffatt has done a nice job building that program back up.

Platty has a very impressive blend of size, speed and skill. Mostly speed. I liked the freshman goalie for the Cards too. Cool, calm and collected.

Nice moment for Northfield, Vt. native Cory Doney to win it in his hometown and rink he grew up playing on. He also was named to All-Tournament team.

Norwich again looked like a team we saw much of last year with not enough goal scorers and having to rely on 20 to do everything.

Still a lot of season left, but definitely some big upcoming games at Babson and then hosting Plattsburgh again in about 10 days.

GO LAKERS!!!
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

The Cadets have shown that there are others who can score big goals, Nagle, O'Neal, O'Mara, Williams, Elgstam, Johnson, Aubin, Schmid and Lewis, but the passing is off, the shots too few and not crashing the net for the rebound. It's almost like they are waiting for the puck to come to them for the lucky shot. There is also Mike McKenzie who had the most chances in the Plattsburgh game (IMO), but he seems to try to stuff the puck through the goalie. I'd like to see him lift the puck some and go for the corners of the net. This young man and the team in general have great potential and I am sure Coach Ellsworth will capitalize on that. I'd like to see some more set up plays that were more common years ago such as attacking the zone and leaving the puck for the trailer to take the shot, (Plattsburgh utilized that very effectively). There was also the play that I believe was used by Will Pelletier and Tyler Piacentini where one would skate with the puck behind the net and the other would set up in front of the net and to the side, receive the pass and shoot on goal or pass to the other side for the open man. That was a "few" years back 2016-17 so my memory might be a little off on the execution of the play and the caliber of opponent's play is much higher these days. No doubt some long time fans remember these set ups, I'm sure at least Prez, NU Prof and Puck Voice do.

I don't mean to sound like I'm a hockey coach, I've been a fan since 6 years old but I don't skate very well and usually crash to stop!! I have however, coached many high school, college and Special Olympics sports from Basketball to Softball and Swimming. My past experiences as a coach makes me feel very confident that Coach Ellsworth has the ability to shape this team to an offensive juggernaut in the second half.

Hope everyone had a fantastic feast on Thanksgiving and are counting all of your blessings.

Comment

I despise ties in sports. That said, a good “tie” last night for the Cadets against a good Babson team. I thought Norwich looked much more aggressive offensively, with more players being “involved” in generating scoring chances. I really thought the Cadets would win the game as they broke in on the 2 on 0, only to get stoned.

The power play didn’t look good last night. Don’t know if that was a Norwich problem, or Babson being excellent on the PK. But when you get significantly more PPs than your opponent, you have to take advantage.

Norwich should win today at USM, but I’d like to see a big offensive output to build some scoring momentum going forward

Comment

Working...
                                X