Norwich 2022-23 Back to Normal (ish)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bog Hockey View Post
    Flint, what are your observations and thoughts on the Endicott game? Thanks.
    Norwich looked to be the better team all night, which was great to see against a "ranked" opponent. They looked fast, athletic, and skilled. I also saw a number of really smart hockey plays. The new guys appear to be fitting right in. Typically, Norwich responds very well after "down" seasons, and going into a good team's barn and dominating is a great start. As I said, word is Coach Ellsworth really likes his team and I can see why.

Comment

Congrats to the SID folks who wrote a good recap right after the season opener with Endicott. We appreciate your efforts. Also noticed you have worked on the roster with pictures and bios. It's great to put a face to a name. Only negative comment is some of the players are listed as being over 1500 pounds! I imagine someone misplaced a decimal point as in Brandon Jones weighing 187.8 instead of 1878! OPPS.

Any news about Bradyn Aubin? Noticed he was missing in the line up against Endicott and don't think I saw him in the Nichols game either. One of our players left the St. A's game clutching their arm, was it Aubin and if not who was that? Hope all are healthy or at least on the fast track for healing. It appears that our bench is pretty deep with lot's of promising new talent, but "all hands on deck" is going to be needed in this strong conference. Good luck Cadets, I'll be watching and cheering you on.
      There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

Norwich 3 Johnson and Wales 2, in a much closer game than anticipated. J&W has definitely improved but NU looked flat and tired. J&W goalie gave up a lot of rebounds and the Cadets didn't crash the net to take advantage of that. Kerner scored 2 goals, Doggett 1 goal, O'Mara had 2 assists and 1 assist each to McKenzie, Williams, Johnson and Banovetz. Atherton also gave up some juicy rebounds but saved 18 of the 20 SOG. Norwich had a total of 35 SOG, 3 of which found the back of the net. Hard to tell if J&W is just that much better or if Wick had a rough night.

Brent Rickett, former NU player, was one of J&W's more productive centers. He saw a lot of ice time.

Still no Braedyn Aubin, hope to see him on the ice soon.

Babson lost to Hobart last night but I heard they played a very good game. Wick needs to have a better night than tonight to get the job done against the Beavers.

Comment

Forget what I wrote about Babson, we play UMass Boston tomorrow night. I get the two mixed up as they were travel partners for so long and made the weekend very long when we played them back to back! We'll still have our hands full with the Beacons, the games with them are always pretty close and we need to be "up" to get a win.

Comment

Where are you helpful guys who brought this thread alive? I need some comments to explain what really happened. I am getting so old I couldn't find the live video site, so I missed it all. Thanks in advance as I believe you will help me understand yhe difference between the Endicott and J&W games.
            NU56
            Old Member
            Maybe the Oldest Active

NU56
            Old Member
            Maybe the Oldest

Comment

Best thing to do is go to the away team’s website, find their schedule, and use that link to watch. It was recorded from center ice, and relatively high up, but you still had fans walking in front of the camera at times, and they didn’t zoom in a lot. A big plus was the posting of 30 second (or so) clips of goals so you could review them.
              Go 'Wick!

Comment

Thank you! Now I am all set for today. Care to give your comments on last night's game?
                NU56
                Old Member
                Maybe the Oldest Active

NU56
                Old Member
                Maybe the Oldest

Comment

NU56, I had problems with the J&W feed last night also. A lot of buffering made the first period very hard to watch. So far the UMB game is streaming great, unfortunately, the Cadets did not have a great 2nd period. Score is UMB 1, NU 0. Would also like to hear comments from others, especially from folks who actually were at the game(s).

Comment

Norwich never gives up, as they proved yet again today. In the last 10 minutes of the game, the Cadets came from a 1-0 deficit to win with a final score of 2-1. Both goals, the first one a power play, came from Clark Kerner. Assists on the power play goal were by Mantaro and Poorman, and Johnny Johnson fed Kerner a pass from behind the net on the game winning goal. Atherton had a very good game in goal, stopping something like 33 shots. I continue to be impressed by the freshmen on the roster. Defenseman Ryan Poorman (who is actually a transfer sophomore) and freshmen forwards, Ryan Leonard and Johnny Johnson. All three of them look like they have been skating with the Cadets for many years.

George Como stated tonight that Braedyn Aubin is out of the line up with an injury (no specifics). Phillip Elgstam sat out tonight to rest after taking quite a few big hits last night against Johnson and Wales. Mike McKenzie also had the night off.

Former NU player Evan Goggins now plays for UMB and saw a lot of ice time tonight.

Have a great rest of the weekend folks.

Comment

Winning games at UMass Boston have been no easy task for about a decade now. Impressive 6 point weekend for Norwich, even if each game was a one-goal win.

Team looks good early for sure and Kerner continues to score big goals.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Two league wins ... take them and move on. As Coach Ellsworth told me before yesterday's game the days of nightly blowout wins are over.

​​​​​Two points to remember after this weekend.

1) There is some serious depth here this year ... talented kids working their butts off in practice looking for ice time. Rickett at J&W and Googins at UMB both elected to move on and landed big roles with their new clubs.
                        ​​​​​​​
                        2) The NEHC just keeps getting better. Right now I would venture to say any one six teams could win it, and any of the other four could beat anyone any day.
                        Last edited by PuckVoice; 11-06-2022, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                          Two league wins ... take them and move on. As Coach Ellsworth told me before yesterday's game the days of nightly blowout wins are over.

​​​​​Two points to remember after this weekend.

1) There is some serious depth here this year ... talented kids working their butts off in practice looking for ice time. Rickett at J&W and Googins at UMB both elected to move on and landed big roles with their new clubs.
                          ​​​​​​​
                          2) The NEHC just keeps getting better. Right now I would venture to say any one six teams could win it, and any of the other four could beat anyone any day.
                          Absolutely correct Puck Voice, we saw this this weekend. Both J&W and UMB nearly beat or tied us and while that would not have been unheard of from UMB, no-one would have bet on J&W to come away with a win or a tie. On paper and past history, we looked to beat J&W by a large number of goals, just goes to show you, paper does not show up to play the game. J&W should win some close games this year and I would put them near or above a .500 by the end of February. Based on watching both NU games from afar, I actually thought that J&W played better than UMB played. It's hard to tell so early in the year what this conference is going to do, but I agree with Coach Ellsworth, there will be a lot of 1 goal games and OT's/Ties like last year. Some of that will be attributed to a "hot goalie" on any given day and we may very well call this season the "year of the goalie". A great deal of pressure will be on these guys considering the fact that they rarely take part in scoring but are totally responsible whether a game is a win, loss or tie.

This coming weekend's games will be similar to the situation of this past weekend. Castleton has had some difficulties getting in the win column and NU should beat them on Friday night. However, anyone who knows about the rivalry between these Vermont Schools, will tell you Castleton can catch you snoozing and nothing is better that CST beating NU, especially in the opponents home opener, on "Darn Tough Sock Toss" night, in a packed Kreitzberg Arena (hopefully for the Sock toss). Besides, it's Castleton's first conference game, what a great way to start the season with a win over the Cadets. Do I think all of this will happen...frankly no, but the Cadets need to be as pumped up about the game as the Spartans are. No sleeping on the job (ice) guys!

Saturday's game against Skidmore may be the first real test for the Cadets. Skidmore always demands respect because they find every little hole in your defense and always press hard. This is the first game of the season that I have anxiety over, beaten only by NU playing at Skidmore. Certainly, Hobart, Elmira and Babson are also deserving of my worry, it just that with Skidmore, you never know what team you are going to get. Will it be the team that has you scratching and crawling to get a goal, or the team that makes a lot of mistakes. In the past 13 games, we have won 1 game by 4-0, lost one game by 4-0 and tied one game 4-4. In those 13 games we've had 4 games that ended in a tie, lost 3 games (1 in OT) and won 6. Out of the 6 games we won, two of them were by 1 goal (one game we won in OT), three of them by 2 goals, one game by 4 goals. With an OT loss and win, we tied Skidmore in 6 out of 13 games! That's about 50% of the games were tied. That's how close these two teams are in past 7 years. One thing is for sure, we need more offense and I think the new players will make the difference. We need to run and gun this Saturday for sure.

Comment

Hope there is a big crowd tonight at Kreitzberg Arena! Bring your socks! Go Cadets!

Comment

Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
                              Hope there is a big crowd tonight at Kreitzberg Arena! Bring your socks! Go Cadets!
                              First and foremost, way too many empty seats at Kreitzberg tonight.

Second, the Cadets need to break this habit of getting behind early. When we get into the meatier part of the schedule it’ll be 4-0 and over before we get started.

Finally, appeared to be flat tonight for whatever reason. Kind of lackadaisical on defense. No real sustained offense all night. Couldn’t get quality looks on the PP. Just kind of an all around dud of a game. Pretty disappointing knowing that Castleton always plays NU like it’s the Stanley Cup finals.

Hoping for a big rebound tomorrow.

Comment

Agree, not a good performance tonight. Anyone else think Atherton is leaving too many rebounds and were not taking enough shots on the power play?

Comment

Working...
                                X