Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Norwich 2022-23 Back to Normal (ish)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Unfortunately the Northeast has had a huge drop in D3 Sports attendance over the years, especially with online event availability. Hobart has gone to free admission to all sporting events in order to get more attendance and encourage local kids in town to become fans of the college.. Even this has had a limited impact AND the number of online viewers is not that impressive. I remember crowds at football and lacrosse games in the thousands in Geneva when it was the only way to view the event , but that was also when everyone actually sang the National Anthem. Some colleges now require a minimum attendance at sporting events in order to gain the privilege to access work out gyms and pools...calling it something like "spirit points". Unfortunately a beautiful facility like Kreitsberg is lucky to get 1000+ for a matchup with the #1ranked team. This is the new world and without getting Taylor Swift to the Cadet games, I think it is what it is.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Bartman View Post
      Unfortunately the Northeast has had a huge drop in D3 Sports attendance over the years, especially with online event availability. Hobart has gone to free admission to all sporting events in order to get more attendance and encourage local kids in town to become fans of the college.. Even this has had a limited impact AND the number of online viewers is not that impressive. I remember crowds at football and lacrosse games in the thousands in Geneva when it was the only way to view the event , but that was also when everyone actually sang the National Anthem. Some colleges now require a minimum attendance at sporting events in order to gain the privilege to access work out gyms and pools...calling it something like "spirit points". Unfortunately a beautiful facility like Kreitsberg is lucky to get 1000+ for a matchup with the #1ranked team. This is the new world and without getting Taylor Swift to the Cadet games, I think it is what it is.
      Geneseo this year went to free admission to all sporting events, except for hockey. (Of course, Geneseo students were always free just like any other SUNY school.)
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

        Geneseo this year went to free admission to all sporting events, except for hockey. (Of course, Geneseo students were always free just like any other SUNY school.)
        The new AD is working on some other initiatives as well. Fingers crossed.

        Comment


        • Well the slow team that can't score is back. Can anyone make sense of this? Zero goals! Middlebury is last in the Nescac. LAST! How do you beat Elmira and tie Hobart and then put up the stinker I just watched I mean come on. Again Middlebury is a LAST place team! I know it doesn't make sense to some of you and I was fine eating crow last weekend but something is off with this program. You don't have these peaks and valleys if you're a top team. You have to be able to score a goal against a LAST place team!

          On another note it's really sad to see the Middlebury rink empty. I guess i'm getting nostalgic.

          Disgusted. Good night

          Comment


          • So PV, how do you explain tonight’s play?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by ***JCB*** View Post
              Well the slow team that can't score is back. Can anyone make sense of this? Zero goals! Middlebury is last in the Nescac. LAST! How do you beat Elmira and tie Hobart and then put up the stinker I just watched I mean come on. Again Middlebury is a LAST place team! I know it doesn't make sense to some of you and I was fine eating crow last weekend but something is off with this program. You don't have these peaks and valleys if you're a top team. You have to be able to score a goal against a LAST place team!

              On another note it's really sad to see the Middlebury rink empty. I guess i'm getting nostalgic.

              Disgusted. Good night
              As an oz fan, completely understand how ur feeling right now here's hoping both our teams figure it out and make the national tourney.
              Oswego 22' and 23' Student Section Leader 2022-2024. If you heard a weird or offensive chant during an Oswego Hockey Broadcast during that time... odds are my friend Tim and I started it.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Lord_Zubin View Post

                As an oz fan, completely understand how ur feeling right now here's hoping both our teams figure it out and make the national tourney.
                It's going to be a long road.


                Steve Day (NU71)
                Steve Day(NU71)
                Go Cadets

                Comment


                • Not trying to make excuses but Tuesday’s game was a classic trap game.

                  Play two really strong opponents at home and exert a lot of energy, physicality and emotions while going 1-0-1.

                  Have one day of practice on Monday and then go play a last place non-league game on the road. No one is “getting up” for the Middlebury game these days for a lot of reasons.

                  It’s definitely tough to ride the inconsistencies but it’s really tough to win in today’s D3 hockey landscape. Look at St. Norbert and Oswego, those were two teams that were “at or near the top” for a long time too with Norwich and they are both having “pedestrian” seasons again by their standards.

                  These are the types of games that Norwich will look back on though if they don’t win the NEHC or make the finals and miss out on a ncaa playoff bid.

                  Even with the success of this past weekend, scoring still remains the issue. 4 goals over a 3 game span isn’t a long term recipe for success.
                  Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 01-17-2024, 07:03 AM.
                  The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                  "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                  GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Steve Day View Post

                    It's going to be a long road.


                    Steve Day (NU71)
                    Appears to be shortening for this season.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by ***JCB*** View Post
                      Well the slow team that can't score is back. Can anyone make sense of this? Zero goals! Middlebury is last in the Nescac. LAST! How do you beat Elmira and tie Hobart and then put up the stinker I just watched I mean come on. Again Middlebury is a LAST place team! I know it doesn't make sense to some of you and I was fine eating crow last weekend but something is off with this program. You don't have these peaks and valleys if you're a top team. You have to be able to score a goal against a LAST place team!

                      On another note it's really sad to see the Middlebury rink empty. I guess i'm getting nostalgic.

                      Disgusted. Good night
                      Turnovers (being generous, a lot looked like giveaways) in the neutral zone leading to rushes. Not picking up people around the net. I can get being fatigued after the weekend, but they could have played 6-8 fresh players. Could have clogged up the middle. Could have, should have, just didn’t.
                      24 shots.

                      when your only realistic shot is an at-large bid, you’d better win your out of conference games….

                      Go 'Wick!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        Not trying to make excuses but Tuesday’s game was a classic trap game.

                        Play two really strong opponents at home and exert a lot of energy, physicality and emotions while going 1-0-1.

                        Have one day of practice on Monday and then go play a last place non-league game on the road. No one is “getting up” for the Middlebury game these days for a lot of reasons.

                        It’s definitely tough to ride the inconsistencies but it’s really tough to win in today’s D3 hockey landscape. Look at St. Norbert and Oswego, those were two teams that were “at or near the top” for a long time too with Norwich and they are both having “pedestrian” seasons again by their standards.

                        These are the types of games that Norwich will look back on though if they don’t win the NEHC or make the finals and miss out on a ncaa playoff bid.

                        Even with the success of this past weekend, scoring still remains the issue. 4 goals over a 3 game span isn’t a long term recipe for success.
                        I agree but the season isn't that long (game wise) and you have to be UP for all game or the season gets shorter with each loss.
                        Last edited by Norwich59; 01-17-2024, 07:54 AM.

                        Comment


                        • Didn't realize the large disparity between the home and away record until this morning. 1-4-1 on the road this season with six of their final eight games away from Kreitzberg is a tough road to hoe.

                          It's likely looking like win the auto-bid or go home right now and unless they can figure out their road struggles, they could be staring down a road quarterfinal game.

                          One of Hobart (not likely), Elmira, Skidmore, Norwich or Babson is going to be staring down a road quarterfinal game and an awfully tough matchup at the #4 seed just to try and make it to the semifinals.
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

                          Comment


                          • There’s not a level in D3 hockey this program can’t play down to…

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Bog Hockey View Post
                              There’s not a level in D3 hockey this program can’t play down to…
                              Correct!!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Bog Hockey View Post
                                There’s not a level in D3 hockey this program can’t play down to…
                                And where does that start? I think we have a decent idea on that……

                                Go 'Wick!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X