Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

University of Hartford men's and women's hockey?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • University of Hartford men's and women's hockey?

    https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/art...the-right-move

    Vermont fan here who saw this article on another forum. Hartford is moving out of DI into DIII and at the bottom of that article the president says the goal is to add men's and women's ice hockey and I thought I'd share it here because that's interesting since they don't officially have a league they are moving to yet.

  • #2
    If they're going to do hockey the CCC might be their best primary target. Offerings-wise, the CCC offers every sport U of Hartford currently offers except women's golf (and maybe there's enough CCC women's golf schools who are associate members elsewhere to bring it in-house?). Geographically they'd be the southernmost member of the conference but they're not too far from Nichols, WNEU, Salve and RWU (not a hockey school).

    The big question is which conference has enough members to accept them? CCC looks like they have an even number of ten members so they might not have the appetite for them as full members. Perhaps they can be associate members for hockey if they find a home for the other sports?

    Comment


    • #3
      Can some of the sports at Hartford remain DI and the rest move to DIII? I'm not sure of the current rules around this.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MELIN27 View Post
        Can some of the sports at Hartford remain DI and the rest move to DIII? I'm not sure of the current rules around this.
        Absolutely not.

        The entire program must be in one division. They closed the rule which allowed only one sport to play up.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

          Absolutely not.

          The entire program must be in one division. They closed the rule which allowed only one sport to play up.
          To be fair - with the NCAA essentially re-writing what it is or will be this could very well change in the near future. We may not even recognize the NCAA. But Hartford seems pretty clear, they don't want to spend on DI anymore.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SNHUPenman View Post

            To be fair - with the NCAA essentially re-writing what it is or will be this could very well change in the near future. We may not even recognize the NCAA. But Hartford seems pretty clear, they don't want to spend on DI anymore.
            Are you suggesting that the NCAA is basically dismantling the airplane as they are crashing it?
            2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
            2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
            2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
            2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
            2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
            2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
            2009 D-III TOP runner-up
            Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
            1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by UCBadger View Post

              Are you suggesting that the NCAA is basically dismantling the airplane as they are crashing it?
              I think the courts (right or wrong) started the plane down... the NCAA is hilariously powerless to stop it.
              Steve
              Penn State Class of '95
              Plattsburgh State Class of '99

              If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by UCBadger View Post

                Are you suggesting that the NCAA is basically dismantling the airplane as they are crashing it?
                Merely suggesting the NCAA (or college sports) may not look anything like what we have come accustomed to in the near future. Never before has so much been up in the air.

                Comment


                • #9
                  As I speculated, UHartford has announced their intention to join the multisport CCC.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So they don't want to focus on athletics, are losing tons of money, so they want to start men's and women's hockey programs? What am I missing here?
                    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

                    And stay off the lawn!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                      So they don't want to focus on athletics, are losing tons of money, so they want to start men's and women's hockey programs? What am I missing here?
                      Division III athletes pay to be there, while each Division I athlete costs money, especially if you don't have any donor or fan support.

                      45 or so hockey players (both genders) paying $15,000 each is $675,000 in tuition money. Just looking at future conference mate UNE, they reported $789,000 in expenses TOTAL for all sports.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by AMC View Post

                        Division III athletes pay to be there, while each Division I athlete costs money, especially if you don't have any donor or fan support.

                        45 or so hockey players (both genders) paying $15,000 each is $675,000 in tuition money. Just looking at future conference mate UNE, they reported $789,000 in expenses TOTAL for all sports.
                        Correct. Which is also why D3 schools are actually adding football instead of cutting it.
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by AMC View Post

                          Division III athletes pay to be there, while each Division I athlete costs money, especially if you don't have any donor or fan support.

                          45 or so hockey players (both genders) paying $15,000 each is $675,000 in tuition money. Just looking at future conference mate UNE, they reported $789,000 in expenses TOTAL for all sports.
                          15 sounds low. At some private D3s you're paying $30K.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                          ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

                          Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                          I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by joecct View Post

                            15 sounds low. At some private D3s you're paying $30K.
                            At some it's $60K to 75K or more, though they are increasingly need-blind and dipping into their endowments big time. My daughter's school is that way.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X