Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Adrian - Most dominant team in D3 history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021-22 Adrian - Most dominant team in D3 history?

I know Stevens Point 2019 team is the lone undefeated team in D3 history and that team will forever be special in its own right.

However, this Adrian team going 31-1-0 with 31 straight wins is one of the most impressive things I’ve seen or read about.

Outscored it’s opponents 39-14 in 7 games in the postseason, including a 12-3 win over a NCAA quarterfinalist in their conference championship game.

190 goals for and 63 against in total for the season.

Would have loved to have had a fantasy matchup between the 2020 Norwich defensive stalwart that seemed destined to win a national championship and this year’s Adrian’s squad.

Hats off to Coach Krug and the Bulldog program for getting the monkey off their back. You can tell that they’ve “changed their ways” and are not the same chippy/heavily penalized team that existed for a stretch of time in their program history.

I have to wonder how much the only Division III team that didn’t really see any change in its 2020-21 season overall compared to the rest of the teams having very short or no season at all played out this year?

Not experiencing a full-year disruption certainly helps with team chemistry etc.
    Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 03-27-2022, 12:42 PM.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Quite possibly.

Personally, I’m a fan of defensive hockey so I would’ve liked to see if the ‘20 Norwich team could have carried that scoreless streak into NCAA’s.

Adrian’s 12-3 game vs SNC got out of hand very quickly and I think can mostly be attributed to Adrian being so psyched up about finally having their number. I like to think if SNC had gotten by Augsburg that National semifinal would have looked more similar to the result, effort, and detail Augsburg showed in that game.

For what it’s worth, the 2014 National champion SNC team beat quarterfinalist Adrian 11-1 during that season. Again, more indicative of the rivalry than anything else. SNC’s biggest win that season was against Point in the National final.

Comment

Snarky take: In the West maybe, cause in the East ya know....Utica.
      Real take: pretty close to being the most dominant, yeah.

Comment

I will say that Adrian had a very good schedule this year as well, they are not afraid to go on the road to play good teams, they made 2 trips out east, which I think helped them in the long run, and played the USA team 2x as well, besides their conference schedule...Yes playing a full season last year vs some good teams as well helped..

Comment

"Yes playing a full season last year".........Yep can't forget this fun fact.....

Comment

Well, this will be a fun off-season topic.... I'll put up the 1991-1992 Plattsburgh Cardinals for the discussion. They were 32-2-2. One of the losses was to Div I Clarkson. The other was to Elmira, a loss that was avenged in the NCAA QF series by a combined 11-2 score over two games. In 9 playoff games (SUNYAC, ECAC West, NCAAs), they scored under 5 goals only once, averaging 6.56 goals per game over the post season.
            Steve
            Penn State Class of '95
            Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
              Well, this will be a fun off-season topic.... I'll put up the 1991-1992 Plattsburgh Cardinals for the discussion. They were 32-2-2. One of the losses was to Div I Clarkson. The other was to Elmira, a loss that was avenged in the NCAA QF series by a combined 11-2 score over two games. In 9 playoff games (SUNYAC, ECAC West, NCAAs), they scored under 5 goals only once, averaging 6.56 goals per game over the post season.
              This was the season when they beat undefeated RIT in the National championship, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post

This was the season when they beat undefeated RIT in the National championship, correct?
                No. RIT was undefeated in 2000-01 season until the final game. Plattsburgh won national titles in 1992 and 2001. 87 was vacated after they beat Oswego due to violations.
                GO LAKERS!!!
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by OZFEST View Post
                  Snarky take: In the West maybe, cause in the East ya know....Utica.
                  Real take: pretty close to being the most dominant, yeah.
                  Utica swept Adrian AT Adrian last year, and split with them at Utica this year, UC out-shooting them in both games.

What was your point again?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Utica swept Adrian AT Adrian last year, and split with them at Utica this year, UC out-shooting them in both games.

Adrian was missing 11 of the players in that Utica loss this year that ended up playing in the national championship including some HUGE ones in Ruffin, Gray, Luciani. No doubt the Pioneers still get credit for the win, but let's not pretend they beat a full strength Adrian squad in that game either.
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

Is Utica going to hang a banner for those wins? Like the real one Adrian will hang?

Comment

Utica is clearly the true national champion being the only team to beat Adrian all year.

Also, Geneseo outshot Adrian does that get them banner too?

And just to make sure the point is clear… shots don’t mean anything unless they end up in the back of the net.

Comment

Originally posted by IceKnights20 View Post

Utica is clearly the true national champion being the only team to beat Adrian all year.

Also, Geneseo outshot Adrian does that get them banner too?

And just to make sure the point is clear… shots don’t mean anything unless they end up in the back of the net.
                          Not worth much, I know, but three sets of Adrian hockey parents told me, unsolicited, that they thought Geneseo was a tougher opponent than Utica. They also thought the Ice knight's performance especially impressive given that they didn't play last year-- with seven players in the line-up experiencing post-season play for the first time. Props to Geneseo! Also, props to some very classy Adrian hockey parents!

Comment

Originally posted by geneseo View Post

Not worth much, I know, but three sets of Adrian hockey parents told me, unsolicited, that they thought Geneseo was a tougher opponent than Utica. They also thought the Ice knight's performance especially impressive given that they didn't play last year-- with seven players in the line-up experiencing post-season play for the first time. Props to Geneseo! Also, props to some very classy Adrian hockey parents!
                            1) I don’t believe for a second this happened
                            2) Even if it did happen, why would an Adrian parent come up to you and say “Utica was actually better than you”
                            3) You are the only one that keeps bringing up the fact Geneseo didn’t play last year. Nobody else brings this up, certainly not parents.

Adrian was significantly better than every team this year, and still would have been better if everyone played last season. Stop trying to find the silver lining.

Comment

Originally posted by JSicedog View Post

1) I don’t believe for a second this happened
                              2) Even if it did happen, why would an Adrian parent come up to you and say “Utica was actually better than you”
                              3) You are the only one that keeps bringing up the fact Geneseo didn’t play last year. Nobody else brings this up, certainly not parents.

Adrian was significantly better than every team this year, and still would have been better if everyone played last season. Stop trying to find the silver lining.
                              and tell us.... how do you tell do you measure this latest claim?

Comment

Working...
                              X