Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 NCAA Tournament

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by geneseo View Post

    Would Nic have been more cautious if it wasn't for the no call on the apparent head shot he took in the UNE game? I have to wonder. (I think they asked for a review but didn't get one.)
    No. It's hockey. Things happen fast. You're overthinking it.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

      No. It's hockey. Things happen fast. You're overthinking it.
      I'm thinking more state of mind, but I get your point. (Nic has a total of 16 penalty minutes in 40 games)

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

        Whether video reviews should be used at all in D3 when they are never used the rest of the season is certainly open for debate.

        Right now, in all (I believe) D3 sports, video reviews are used from the semifinals and finals.

        The refs aren't alone. They are assisted by an experienced video review ref (usually the same one who does the D1 Frozen Four). So, they are mentored through the whole process as well as the review itself.

        I don't know what you mean by change their minds. Of course their minds were changed. They never made the call in the first place. Adrian used one of the challenges to have it looked at.

        Chris Schultz was not upset with the call. Though he thought it was a good hit live, he said the video review doesn't lie, so he accepted it.

        A hit to the head is five minutes. Period. They had no other choice once it was decided it was a hit to the head.
        I think Ray mentioned it on the broadcast as well that the review could only be a major or nothing. Even if they saw something for say roughing but not contact to the head they couldn’t have called a minor out of the review.

        As for having reviews at all I think I’d lean towards having it all year. Obviously there are pretty significant costs to that which I assume is why it isn’t in place currently

        Comment


        • Originally posted by IceKnights20 View Post

          I think Ray mentioned it on the broadcast as well that the review could only be a major or nothing. Even if they saw something for say roughing but not contact to the head they couldn’t have called a minor out of the review.
          Correct.

          As for having reviews at all I think I’d lean towards having it all year. Obviously there are pretty significant costs to that which I assume is why it isn’t in place currently
          Disagree. There is no way every D3 school can be consistent enough to provide the video equipment necessary to pull this off (and I'm not even talking the costs). There is a reason there are no video reviews in any D3 sports.

          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post


            Disagree. There is no way every D3 school can be consistent enough to provide the video equipment necessary to pull this off (and I'm not even talking the costs). There is a reason there are no video reviews in any D3 sports.
            This is 99 percent correct. Division III football (I believe nationwide, if not nationwide it's in 90 percent of the conferences) instituted video review for one thing and one thing only. Targeting. If a targeting call happens in the first half, the refs will review the video at halftime and determine whether or not that player will be ejected from the rest of the game.

            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

              Whether video reviews should be used at all in D3 when they are never used the rest of the season is certainly open for debate.

              Right now, in all (I believe) D3 sports, video reviews are used from the semifinals and finals.

              The refs aren't alone. They are assisted by an experienced video review ref (usually the same one who does the D1 Frozen Four). So, they are mentored through the whole process as well as the review itself.

              I don't know what you mean by change their minds. Of course their minds were changed. They never made the call in the first place. Adrian used one of the challenges to have it looked at.

              Chris Schultz was not upset with the call. Though he thought it was a good hit live, he said the video review doesn't lie, so he accepted it.

              A hit to the head is five minutes. Period. They had no other choice once it was decided it was a hit to the head.
              I guess I'm to old school, back in the day that NEVER would have been called and of course there was no video review....

              Comment


              • Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post

                I guess I'm to old school, back in the day that NEVER would have been called and of course there was no video review....
                True, but hits to the head have been a thing to stop for many, many years now. You really need to catch up. :-)

                As for video reviews, we can all blame the NFL for that...
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

                Comment


                • Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  This is 99 percent correct. Division III football (I believe nationwide, if not nationwide it's in 90 percent of the conferences) instituted video review for one thing and one thing only. Targeting. If a targeting call happens in the first half, the refs will review the video at halftime and determine whether or not that player will be ejected from the rest of the game.
                  Forgot about that. I have seen that done. It must be hard in some cases based on whatever quality video they have. At least they get to do it halftime where they can take their time and the school will know to have the video lined up to show it to them.
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

                  Comment


                  • Congrats to Adrian for Winning its 1st NCAA Title. I have to admit I was a little gutted on Sunday as I found myself truthfully rooting for Geneseo ever since I saw them defeat Babson. I really just like the way they play the Game. It is the most entertaining style I have seen all year, playing 200 feet up and down and just getting Pucks on Goal as much as possible. Their team Speed is the best quality for me as that is the future of this Game but they also hunt the Puck and forecheck with purpose. If I am a new D1 Program or a D1 Program that needs to fill a building(not sure that exists) then this HC Chris Schultz would be a great fit. Based on the Presser's he seems to be extremely pragmatic but also willing to take risks and gamble a bit. They have talent and grit and really could have Won that Game. The biggest difference? Adrian took advantage of Geneseo's few mistakes and Geneseo could not figure out the Adrian Goalie the Senior from Austin, TX and a SLU transfer #32 Cameron Gray. Gray is an active Goaltender and he had some big guys in front of him willing to sacrifice their body and block shots(24). Maybe some more deception and fakes from the outside from Geneseo would have snuck one thru all those bodies clogging the middle of the Ice at times. If I have one disappointment with Geneseo it was on Adrian's 1st Goal on the PK. Watching Adrian play Augsburg everyone saw the two heavyweights on the Point with the PP ripping some absolute bombs on Goal and in the Goal. Augsburg failed to block any of those and besides #11 Wilkins stretching to try to block the 1st Goal, Geneseo failed as well. Easier said than done but that would have been my first worry on the PK going into that Game. Congrats to Geneseo on another fantastic season. I want to watch the Game again and get another last post in to end the season. I gotta say I really enjoyed this whole season from November to March and thankful to this website for covering D3 College Hockey. I found Geneseo's Presser's but could not find Adrian's or UNE's.

                    Geneseo Presser's:

                    Semi:

                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbKQrOUTS2U

                    Final:

                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGaDV0czytA&t=83s

                    Also came across this:

                    This looks to be a #22 Jared Thomas Journalism Class Project on Geneseo Goalie #30 Matt Petizian. Recruits love this stuff as it gives them an idea of what the team is all about off the Ice. I am just psyched that Thomas is getting into Journalism instead of the usual Business / Econ / Accounting etc etc...let that creativity fly...Petizian does have personality with that winning smile( hint: use that in job interviews, show off the "chiclets") which every team needs and even more impressive he will also be a Captain from the Goal next year.

                    The video is telling for a couple reason's:

                    1. If the Petizian family finds themselves bringing Matt's car to the shop for problems with the steering, shocks, exhaust, suspension etc they will have proof of why...Getting into a car with this kid is a possible death trap. He is literally going 40mph over those speed bumps. Then while driving he has his head turned and talking into the camera and almost slams into another guy at a stop sign.

                    2. I love how the school puts the Hockey team in the housing closest to the NY State Prison in case of a jail break and a possible "armed and dangerous" situation. Sleep with one eye open.....

                    3. Half way thru the video we have a new driver maybe Thomas but wise very wise.


                    Good video as this team has some personality but you can also tell they respect each other and have a good perspective and attitude. That makes a Winning Culture in the long run.


                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP8eDwH_Ocw






                    Last edited by Mr.Right; 03-29-2022, 12:53 AM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X