X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr.Right
    replied
    Williams at Amherst Recap Saturday 2-19:

Senior's from any Sport from these two rivals usually take their last Williams / Amherst Game with the utmost vigilance. Their competitiveness and will to Win in this particular Game gets manifested as the players are also fighting for League Standing and trying to earn a Home Playoff Game. This Game had both teams exhibiting their skill and work rate and both were staying disciplined within their respective systems. Williams G #31 Evan "Rusch" Ruschil had his best Game of the Year and Williams took advantage of a couple opportunities in the Offensive Zone and that ended up being enough too down Amherst 3-1 at Orr Rink. This was the Regular Season Finale for both teams as Williams gets back to .500 with a record of 10-10-1 (10-7-1) with Amherst dropping its 3rd straight Game and falls to 9-12-2 (8-9-1). With the well earned Tie last night at Hamilton the Ephs will take home 4.5/6 Points in a very challenging 2-Game Road swing. Amherst has to be disappointed as they only came away with 1 Point from the Weekend and I am sure will be heading on the road for their Nescac Quarterfinal. I have no idea how the Playoffs line up or who is playing who and where because I am still watching the entertaining Trin at Wes Game from Friday Night. The Little 3 is a Century old tradition and I am not sure if they will decide it on Points or W's and L's. If it is Points Wesleyan is the Little 3 Champion of 21-22, if W's and L's then it will be a Tie for the Little 3 Title between Wesleyan and Williams. The History of all three schools is fascinating including athletics and actually all 3 "barns" have a rich history.

Williams Lines:

#13 Cooligan-#10 Forrest-#9 Niko
    #25 Altmann-#27 Clarke-#12 Carso
    #24 Rashkovsky-#14 Cates-#20 Muller
    #17 Tobin-#16 O.Stadheim-#19 Monroe

D-Men:
    #7 Alsaif-#6 Lawrick
    #18 Prout-#3 Sutton
    #22 Pinto #4 Kucharski
    Xtra D man: #8 Frates

Amherst Lines:

#26 Mangiardi-#21 Pitts-#4 Wrenn
    #24 Q.Fox-#9 Shults-#19 Powers
    #8 B.Luca-#41 Toporowski-#20 Kuzma
    #13 Rex-#12 Bourque-#23 Lichman

D-Men:
    #3 McGunigle-#11 von Steinbergs
    #16 McGinnis-#14 Verkerke
    #5 Kimball-#2 Breen
    Xtra D man: #10 Thiessen

1st Period:

Two teams feeling the Game out with Amherst getting a few quality chances that Williams G Ruschil came up big on and saved. Williams also got a few looks as well but not quite as dangerous. Williams Soph D #6 Ben Lawrick had a great game with one of his most important hits against Amherst #2 Conor Breen who was Puck Carrier from Amherst D Zone on this particular play and was skillfully using his speed and skating to weave in and out while then sharply cutting into the slot area about to shoot when Lawrick came motoring over and rung Breen's Bell while cleaning up any danger from that Rush. Amherst out possessed and out shot Williams in the 1st but it was 0-0 after one.

2nd Period:

Amherst continued possessing nicely to start the 2nd Period until the Game was turned on its head by a Williams Goal.

Williams 1-0. This was a set play and not only simple and well designed it was played out to perfection. There was a F/O called in the Williams Defensive Zone. Williams noticed that Amherst RD #11 von Steinbergs was cheating inside to the Center of the Ice on this F/O deep in the Williams zone. Williams C #27 Sean Clarke 4-9-13 Won the F/O as he slid the Puck to Williams D #4 Connor Kucharski who was on Clarke's right side next to the boards. As soon as Williams #12 Mac Carso saw that Clarke Won the F/O he broke as fast as he could up the Ice from Williams Goaline. So Kucharski has the Puck off the F/O Win on the Low Boards in his own end and spins around to rip an incredible Pass across the ICE and perfectly hitting off the Opposite Boards. The Puck then flies right off the Boards and completely past an out stretched #11 von Steinbergs and right into the path of Williams #12 Carso who was about 3 skates ahead of the next closest defender Amherst #3 McGunigle. Carso now is in 1v1 on Amherst G #30 Dan Dachille and showed why he is such an important Goalscorer for the Ephs. With his speed, stick handling and most importantly composure he faked a backhand which Dachille bit for and then calmly flicked it top shelf. Great Goal for Carso who is now 5-4-9 and is Williams Top Goal Scorer right now along with C #10 Jack Forrest 5-1-6. Great Pass from Kucharski as you can have all the Set Play's you want but if you do not have the players to execute them they are useless.

1-1. Amherst Goal. Amherst #21 Michael Pitts from just inside the Blueline shooting what looked to be a harmless enough shot and right at Ruschil and beat him 5-hole to even the Game up. Ruschil was p*ssed at himself but he made too many BIG Saves in this 2nd period alone and all Game that Ruschil moved past the mistake quickly and regained his focus and composure because nothing and I mean nothing else beat him. Including a dangerous wraparound by Amherst #41 Matt Toporowski but the best maybe was a play as time was running down in the 2nd Period. Amherst had the Puck behind Williams Goal and I cannot remember who played the Pass but it went right into a charging #16 Connor McGinnis who was stuffed at the buzzer by "Rusch" who had come out of his net while extending his Torso to get real big to make the fantastic stop. Williams Defenseman #6 Ben Lawrick also came up big saving a possible Goal from Amherst #24 Quint Fox by catching him on the break and using his stick to thwart a chance from Fox who was in alone on Goal. 1-1 to end the 2nd.

3rd Period:

Two minutes into the Period Amherst #41 Toporowski commits a costly Cross Checking Penalty as he goes for the extra hit on Williams #17 Connor Tobin in Williams Defensive Zone. Toporowski was one of Amherst best players on the Ice today as a Frosh with his constant hustle and fierce work ethic. I really like his Game as he can play Heavy but also has real solid skill. Great vision on the Ice and he is going to be a handful in the coming years. The penalty though was a Frosh mistake as the Puck was 200 feet from his Goal two minutes into the Period and he just got over aggressive while Puck hunting. Emotions are running high, the kid is busting his butt and sometimes these things happen however it eventually cost Amherst the Game.

Williams 2-1. Williams PP used #9 Niko-#10 Forrest-#13 Cooligan-#7 Alsaif-#6 Lawrick. It was #13 Tyler Cooligan 3-1-4 and #9 Niko 3-10-13 creating a little havoc and 2v1 in front of the net, spinning out and then crisscrossing back in forcing Amherst defenseman #3 McGunigle and Goalie #30 Dachille to choose who to take out of the play. Williams #7 Faisal Alsaif threw a wrister on Goal from the Point but Dachille could not control the rebound and Cooligan buried it. Cooligan was throwing his weight around today and is playing well on the Top Line at LW with Forrest and Niko. He is starting to play like his old linemate of 2019-2020 #6 Beniers who NEVER let anyone off easy and got the most out of his ability anytime on the Ice. Cooligan's PP Goal absolutely silenced the building as Amherst had a decent crowd for an afternoon game but again the team did not activate them at all.

Once Williams had their lead and the Game hit about 12 minutes Williams started to really slow the Game down. Dump and Chase, Forcing F/O's in Amherst end, Icing, more whistles etc etc etc. Very hard for any team to get a rhythm playing against that.

Williams 3-1. #10 Jack Forrest was released by a great saucer pass from Niko in the Neutral Zone who caught Amherst Defenseman 316 Connor McGinnis cheating high up Ice and Forrest with Cooligan had a 2v1. Cooligan got the Puck and shot it with Forrest smartly following it up and burying.

Game Pucks:
    1."Rusch" Williams
    2."Topo" Amherst
    3."Niko" Williams

Next Recap: Trinity at Wesleyan Friday Night.
    Last edited by Mr.Right; 02-19-2022, 10:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FLHockeyMom
    replied
    Originally posted by tjoneslo View Post
    With the Colby / Conn College game getting underway two hours late because of issues with the ice, Colby comes up with a 4-0 win at home to win the NESCAC regular season. The tournament comes up as (If I read this correctly):

Friday First round:
    Conn College @ Amherst for the #7 seed
    Tufts @ Middlebury for the #8 seed

Saturday first round:
    Bowdoin @ Williams
    Wesleyan @ Hamilton

Sunday first round:
    Tufts/Middlebury winner @ Colby
    Conn College/Amherst winner @ Trinity

With the QF / Finals hosted at the highest remaining seed.
    Here's how I read it:

Friday First round:
    Conn College @ Bowdoin for the #7 seed
    Middlebury @ Tufts for the #8 seed

Saturday first round:
    Amherst @ Williams
    Hamilton @ Wesleyan

Sunday first round:
    Conn College/Bowdoin winner @ Trinity

Leave a comment:

• tjoneslo
    replied
    With the Colby / Conn College game getting underway two hours late because of issues with the ice, Colby comes up with a 4-0 win at home to win the NESCAC regular season. The tournament comes up as (If I read this correctly):

Friday First round:
    Conn College @ Amherst for the #7 seed
    Tufts @ Middlebury for the #8 seed

Saturday first round:
    Bowdoin @ Williams
    Wesleyan @ Hamilton

Sunday first round:
    Conn College/Amherst winner @ Trinity

With the QF / Finals hosted at the highest remaining seed.

Leave a comment:

• tjoneslo
    replied
    And this is the reason we love NESCAC hockey. The final standing in the league come down to the games on the last day of the season. And sometimes not even then (According to the NESCAC rules, everything else being equal ranking is determined by a coin flip). Trinity and Colby are both fighting for the top spot in the league. Wesleyan, Hamilton, Williams and Amherst are all angling for the last two home slots in the QF round, with Tufts, Middlebury, and Conn all looking to take the last home slot in the first round. Win or loose Bowdoin is firmly in the #8 position and hosting a first round game. I make no predictions on how this will turn out.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Right
    replied
    Midd at Amherst Recap:

Midd travelled down to Amherst on Friday night and picked up its 3rd straight Road Win as they improve to 5-12-3 (4-11-2) and 3-5-1 on the Road. Midd is playing some of its best Hockey in this run and at just the perfect time. Amherst drops to 9-11-2 (8-8-1) with a Home record of 4-4-2.

This was a competitive Game to watch as both teams brought some serious energy and life to the Game. A very even Game for 1.5 Periods with both teams scoring Goals and creating good scoring chances. I thought Midd had an edge the first 1.5 Periods and grabbed a 2-0 lead out of it but the tide turned once #26 Matteo Mangiardi got Amherst on the board. Amherst was playing with persistence and looked confident in possession of the Puck and hunting it right back with speed and discipline if they lost it. Amherst had Midd pinned into its D-Zone for a couple different stretches late in the 2nd and in the 3rd but could not squeeze a 3rd Goal. Credit to Midd for bending not breaking as G #31 Jake Horoho continues his great play in Goal and the Defense worked extra hard that last 1.5 with some guys getting heavy minutes to end Regulation. Midd had a couple bad giveaway's in bad areas of the Ice but were able to recover. They have been using the super fast Winger #19 Chris Garbe 5-4-9 to help out as a Puck Carrier the past few games that I have seen and for the 2nd consecutive Game he managed to carry the Puck 200 feet while leaving all 5 opposing Skaters in the dust. The talented Soph now needs to work on burying the chances he is getting off of these rushes or feed his teammates. Garbe is a good player as his Skating Speed while he still is in control of the Puck is fantastic. If Midd was in real danger in the D-Zone they would just Ice the Puck because if you are close to Winning 60% of your F/O's it is safer to just Ice the Puck when unsure. The 3v3 OT was ALL MIDD. Midd looked plenty comfortable and happy to be playing 3v3 and Amherst did not. Midd's #98 Antoine Belisle would Win the Game with about a minute left. Still Amherst grabs 1 point and every Point matters now. I felt Amherst focus, discipline and effort were much improved from last Weekend's Tufts Game.

The players brought energy which is more than I can say for the crowd. The crowd needs something to get them going because after all they are not the ones playing the game. This is a 60 minute Game and the crowd can only stay crazy for so long which is why you need to activate them when you feel you need them most in the Game. This should not be a decision just arbitrarily made as this should and can be part of your Home advantage especially indoors where noise just builds. The students need a shift or two of serious Forechecking with hard hitting and the whole Line throwing their weight around. That easily fires up the student body which is exactly what Wesleyan did last weekend and their crowd responded. Amherst had a great crowd now the team has to find a combination / Line to really fire them up.

Goal Recap:

1st Period:

Midd 1-0 from the hard work of Senior #37 Zach Shapiro behind the Amherst Goal as he completely stripped Amherst #21 Michael Pitts of the Puck. Shapiro played the puck immediately in what was a cagey pass from behind the Goal right into the front of net where a charging #14 Paddy Bogart had a free look and buried it upper left corner. Amherst G #30 Dan Dachille had no chance.

2nd Period:

Midd 2-0 Another Midd pass from behind the net this time by #6 Billy Dobensky found #13 Zach Milton wide open just inside the blueline. The Deerfield Academy product snapped a free wrister thru about 4 players and found the 1st Goal of his career. Milton's shot should be replayed over and over for the Players as he kept that Puck ON THE ICE. Had he lifted one it would have been easily blocked or deflected as there were 3 Players and the Goalie to get thru. These are the most dangerous shots IMO because the shots that are kept on Ice have a much better % of not being blocked or deflected and either finding the Goal or allowing for a juicy Rebound.

Midd 2-1 as this was Amherst #26 Matteo Mangiardi's Goal to get Amherst on the board. Mangiardi is 2-2-4 in his last 3 Games. The work on this Goal was all done by the Senior #4 Sean Wrenn. The Nobles product stripped Midd's #78 Jin Lee behind the Midd Goal and found himself with multiple options with the Puck on his stick from behind the Goal and with an extra second or two to calmly make his decision. Wrenn made the correct play as he found Mangiardi wide open in the slot for the Goal.

2-2. This was a nice Goal as well. #25 Ryan Tucker picked up a loose Puck in the Neutral Zone and made a smart pass to #41 Matt Toporowski just inside the blueline. Tucker immediately started driving towards Goal after the pass to Toporowski which gave Amherst a 3v2 advantage. Toporowski with his head up and great vision makes a clever pass across the Ice splitting the Midd defenders and getting the Puck to the weak side to a wide open #20 Ben Kuzma. Kuzma calmly ties the Game up.

3rd Period:

No Goals. Amherst did lose #25 Ryan Tucker about 2 minutes into the Period as he skated right from the bench off the Ice never to return to the Game. Maybe an injury or who knows but he was missed for sure in the 3v3 OT.

OT:

3-2 Midd Winner as it was the #98 Antoine Belisle show. 2nd consecutive Game he has scored a Goal and you could tell he wanted it. He got fed a nice pass from his teammate #5 Nolan Moore as Belisle had made a nice cut towards net but Amherst G Dachille was up to the task. However, Belisle collected his own rebound, spun up the boards heading towards the point but then cut at the Half Boards and drove hard towards Goal and into the slot area where he snapped a free wrister by Dachille. He was pumped. Midd was Pumped. Big Win for that team but now they have to concentrate and try to be resilient for the whole 60 minutes. They escaped the 3rd Period but they might not the next game so the veterans need to make sure the young guys stay disciplined and focused throughout and vice versa if your a youngster and you see something wrong during a game say something. Open your mouth. The Upperclassman might thank you later.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Right
    replied
    Amuse and Divert:

Home Team on Bottom Row.

Conn: 5-12-3 (4-10-2) (+1 +120) Over 5 -130
    Bowdoin: 6-9-4 (6-7-3) (-1 -145) Under 5 +110

Trinity: 12-7-1 (10-5-1) (-.5 -120) Over 5 +130
    Wesleyan: 10-9-3 (8-5-3) (+.5 Even) Under 5 -110

Williams: 9-10-0 (9-7-0) (+.5 -120) Over 4.5 -180
    Hamilton: 10-8-0 (9-7-0) (-.5 EVEN) Under 4.5 +160

Middlebury: 4-12-3 (3-11-2) (+.5 +110) Over 5.5 +145
    Amherst: 9-10-2 (8-7-1) (-.5 -110) Under 5.5 -165

Tufts: 5-13-2 (5-9-2) (+1 -120) Over 5.5 +140
    Colby: 13-5-2 (10-4-2) (-1 Even) Under 5.5 -160

Conn College Randoms:
    Conn College had a student announcer for a Game last Weekend and he did a good job with his knowledge of the Game but he also knew the players so he gave us some great insight into what this team is like off the Ice.

I caught some as I was watching.

- #18 Frosh Bjorn "The Dog" Schuepbach.

- #34 Junior Younghoon Choi not only is a skilled Hockey player who had a great goal off a breakaway against Hamilton but apparently a dangerous 3 Point Shooter in his spare time.

- #27 Quatieri and #21 Capozzi are not only linemates but roommates. Apparently there have been 2 absolute brawls between the two where teammates had to break it up and pick them up off the floor as punches were thrown to the stomach(no ribs as these guys are smart) but then only 10 minutes later Capozzi and Quatieri would be laughing and finishing each other's sentences again. "Pazzo di Capozzi and Quatieri".

-#5 Rob "Hollywood" Radochia was the darkest. The stories the announcer told were almost alarming. First of all since when is Hollywood scouting for talent in Woburn, MA? For the last twenty-five years Woburn's Town Motto has been "Just Drink the Damn Water its Clean Now!". Apparently, Radochia "starred" in a new Netflix Movie "Don't Look Up" which is in the Fantasy / Disaster category. Serious. I had no idea "Disaster" was even a category now. I have not seen the movie but the announcer was plugging it like 3-4 times and because of its popularity Radochia has been in high demand. With that demand his head has swelled. His ego and imagination of his own self importance have gone thru the roof. He has become as the announcer said "very high-maintenance". Anything his teammates want to do with him it is always "go thru my agent first". If they want to talk to him about a play in the game that HE screwed up on, Radochia puts his big paw in the air and stops them short "Guys I am the same guy as you knew before the movie hit big, I have not changed at all as you guys all know that however you know my rule GO THRU MY AGENT FIRST". So his teammates just deal and kind of put up with him because the old Radochia they really liked and he is still a solid blueliner that they need to Win games.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Right
    replied
    "Look Who Gettin' Hungry..."

Midd defeated Conn 5-3 in New London on Tuesday in a spirited and competitive game especially for two teams tipping the scales under .500. I thought it was an entertaining up and down game for 1.5 Periods. However, Midd's 2nd Goal of the game in the 2nd Period to even things up 2-2 seemed to sort of sap the mentality of Conn. This can happen when you are on losing streaks and they looked frustrated and not willing to deal with the adversity that they knew was coming. Losing can wear you down mentally but you gotta try to be as resilient as you can. Midd's 2nd Goal to even things up was frustrating for Conn because it came off a rebound as Midd's #12 Cole Joslin got on the inside of Conn defenseman #17 Eric Fournier and beat him into position right on the post and Fournier could not move him. The rebound was easily buried by Joslin. Nice play by Midd #2 Jack Clarner to drive the net and shoot to get things started for Joslin's Goal and frankly the best effort on the Goal did not even show up on the stat sheet. #29 Matt Myers started the whole play in the neutral zone when he played #2 on the weak side to catch Conn on its heels and late.

As we entered the 3rd Period the score was 2-2. Anyone's game. Until the actual game started. I have no idea what was said in between periods to either team but Midd flat out came to play and Conn did not. Midd had all the energy and positive vibes after scoring 17 seconds into the Period off of another rebound Goal that came from a 2v1 as Junior Captain D #18 Bret Pastor got his 1st Goal of the year. Midd started the Period with Junior Captain and their scoring leader #23 Emack Bentley 4-7-11 at LW, C #22 Capello and Frosh #77 Wyatt Pastor 1-2-3 at RW. Conn gave the Puck over in the Neutral Zone as Capello got a hold of the puck and played the Frosh Pastor on the strong side boards. Pastor somehow squeezed the puck down the Ice past Conn's #5 Radochia who was on Pastor like glue to Emack who was moving off puck to the opposite wing. So you now have the LW Emack with the puck on the RW Half Boards, Capello charging towards Goal from the Neutral Zone to create the 2v1 as he noticed Radochia was 2 skates behind the play and now uh oh big bro Brett Pastor is trailing right behind Capello on Goal. Emack had his eyes up with the Puck on his stick the entire time and flicked it right to Capello charging in on Goal but Conn's G #30 Cam Fernandez made the Save. The veteran Pastor who was trailing right behind Capello buried the wide open rebound. Very smart to trail your teammate to goal on any odd man rushes. I mean it was like Capello was making a trail with Pastor coming in right behind. A Rebound bonanza.

Midd's 4th Goal was all Frosh. #29 Matt Myers athletically keeping the Puck alive right near the Blue Line after a blocked shot and then unselfishly played #3 Andrew Malatesta for the easy finish and then Malatesta ignored him in "the celey". As if Malatesta did all the work and Myers is just joining "the celey" as the last guy in. Ridiculous. That's a favor owed. Seeyou need to keep track of these things.

Midd's 5th Goal was all #98 Antoine Belisle 2-4-6 who works hard and does everything right and with speed plus can change the direction of a game with one hit. He does not let opponents off easy when he is a Puck hunting but will accumulate Pens with his aggressiveness . Belisle scored his 1st and 2nd Goal's of the season against Conn and needs one more to match his Frosh year. This Goal was a fantastic off Puck read that got him free in the slot with space to shoot and he scored. Completly lost his defender.

Conn's Goalie #31 Cam Fernandez got chased for the 2nd straight Game as #1 Sean Dynan replaced him after the 5th Goal. Personally I do not know what happened to the Senior #35 Mike McHale as I thought he played well v Colby and was surprised when he was not starting at Tufts the next game because he looked the most confident in that Goal to my eyes. Of course my eyes mean nothing but anyway maybe he got injured / Covid. Either way Conn needs to pick one Goalie now and stick with him the rest of the way and the Senior would be where I am going.

Midd PK:
    Against Conn Midd was using a Passive 1-3 Neutral Zone ForeCheck on the kill. #23 Emack Bentley the "1" and then three good puck retrievers and stick handlers as your "3" in order. #22 Capello, #3 Malatesta and #18 Pastor. 2nd Line was #98 Belisle for Emack Bentley with #12 Joslin, #6 Dubinsky and #33 Mangan. This is like a Prevent Defense so no stretch passes but the Top guy is the most important as he needs to create as much pressure as he can or the opponent will have the Neutral Zone to work and build up their attack and speed.

"Tough Start"
    Middlebury got off to a tough start this season by having all their games cancelled except two in the 1st Half of the year because of Covid. My guess is their practices during this time, if they were even having practice to begin with, was a hodgepodge of players coming and going with the Covid. So with no games and sporadic practices for two months this team of whippersnappers really began their season on Jan 1st. That means they have now played 17 Games in 45 Days which is a Game every 2.7 Days on avg which means even now they really have not had a chance to get 3 Days straight of Full Practice time because of Games, Walk Thru's and Days off. That is a challenging environment to procure real player development and fix bad habits. It would also be hard to implement team tactics and set plays with a different set of players at each practice. Midd is one of the more inexperienced teams in the league(only 3 listed Seniors on the roster) however they do have a core of veterans and reclassified JR's. Midd has a lot of guys that have reclassified and that is a good sign of commitment to the program and hunger that the players have to want to keep playing and improving. All of a sudden though these veterans are starting to gel nicely with the hungry ankle biters. This has given Midd the wherewithal to play their most consistent Hockey of the season at just the right time. They sit in 10th Place at 4-12-3(3-11-2) but have Won 2 straight Road Games to improve to 2-5-1 on the Road with 2 more games at Amherst and at Hamilton to finish out the regular season. This is perfect preparation for a Conference Tournament as Midd will be plenty comfortable to play its game on the Road by the time the Puck drops for the two Friday Night Play-In Games.

They have had some growing pains Defensively, in Goal and especially moving the puck out of their D-Zone with all the giveaway's. Every opponent that I have seen play Midd is on an aggressive forecheck to put early pressure on their D-Men and force turnovers. From what I have seen and I saw them Live at Williams on Saturday they have improved in all three of these areas. Defensively they look much more organized and focused with not nearly the amount of mistakes that were happening early on in the year. In Goal Midd had been using both 6'3 210lb Reclassified Soph #31 Jake Horoho and the 6'1 190lb reclassified JR #1 Adam Wisco and each play a different type of Game and that is good to have, however Horoho looks like for now he has won the job to finish the year starting in 5 straight Games after relieving Wisco 25 seconds into the 2nd Period at Home v Conn at the end of January. I was literally standing 20 feet from Horoho for 2 Periods against Williams and was impressed with not only his game but his athleticism and focus. The kid is an athlete and was controlling rebounds and pouncing on them faster than I expected. I mean he saved everything that Williams threw at him. His issue from the games I have seen on the stream had been on shots from the Point with heavy screens to take him out of the play. When a Goalie is screened its a 60/40 chance the Puck will hit him for a Save or miss him for a Goal(good odds in this sport). Most Shots are coming in as hard as the shooters can rip them but the one that comes in at just one-tenth the speed is harder for him to stop. Also Love the American and Italian flags on the back of his Goalie Mask which is his way of honoring his roots. A Bowl of piping hot Pasta Pomodoro after the game would be a nice way to get into touch with your roots too but the East Greenwich, RI native is not greedy as he understands its box lunches and dining hall substance or starve.

What does Middlebury do best statistically? They Win F/O's. Winning or Losing Faceoffs can mean Winning or Losing Games in College Hockey. If Williams understood how to keep F/O statistics we would have seen a huge Middlebury Win margin as they seemingly were winning everything all game. Senior Captain #22 Tyler Capello 2-4-6, 214/377 56% Wins and Frosh sensation #78 Jin Lee 5-5-10, 164/270 for a 61% Win ratio are their "Puck-Off" warriors. Capello has taken the most F/O's on average in the league. #98 Antoine Belisle and #29 Matt Myers also are very adept at the Faceoff. The 6'1 195lb Frosh #78 Jin Lee had some game against Williams with the second "hatty" by a Nescac Player over the weekend. Lee missed out on Nescac POW because his 3rd was an EN'er. He is 2nd on the team with 50 Shots and he is a strong kid on the boards and quick on the forecheck. He has plenty of courage to get in front of the net and battle for positioning. Good young player.

Top Player Stat Line for a 4-12-3 team.

Soph #5 D Nolan Moore 16GP 1-6-7 +4.
    Last edited by Mr.Right; 02-17-2022, 08:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Right
    replied
    Weekend Recap: I have to do this in pieces as there was an abundance of happenings this past Weekend and another Game today but I want to get to every team.

It was a Predominant Weekend For Two Teams:

Trinity- Two Home Wins over Bowdoin and more importantly Colby gave Trinity 6 out of 6 pts for the Weekend. They now sit .5 points behind Colby for 1st Place and Home Ice with 2 Games remaining and did everything they had to do to climb right back in. Trinity had 3 more PPG this weekend with #17 Riley Prattson, #19 Lucas Michaud and #20 John Campomenosi all pitching in with 2 Goals apiece and Trinity is 6-2-1 in their last 9 Games with a Home and Away against Wesleyan to finish out the season. A Trinity v Wes game on Saturday will officially close out the 21-22 Regular Season with the game time moved to 7pm to allow for a little drama to play out if Colby does drop points this weekend. Friday night will be a rematch of the 2020 Nescac Championship. This Home and Away for both teams is perfect preparation for the Nescac Championship. The 2nd Game of a back to back with the same team can be almost as intense as a Playoff Game.

Hamilton- Well this team has forced me to tuck my tail in and eat some humble pie and I am fine with that. I had really questioned the effort of "some" not "all" of Hamilton's veterans and they proved me wrong. Hamilton with 3 Games in 3 Days got 8 out of 9 pts for the Weekend and have now climbed into 4th Place alone with 3rd Place in their sights. They are now 10-8 (9-7) and are 5-1 in their last 6 Games. They defeated Tufts in Malden 4-3 in OT in a game that could have gone either way. In total domination early on in Saturday's Game they roared to a 4-0 lead at Conn and held off a fierce Conn comeback try (Conn got it back to 4-2 and had a flurry of chances on the PP late in the 3rd but could not convert) as they eventually Won that game 5-2. Then in a complete thrashing of Tufts in the Sunday Showcase Hamilton had their best game in like forever as they put on a 2nd Period Clinic and Won 6-1 in the rematch. Tufts did get some sniffs on Goal early and it was 0-0 after the 1st Period as Tufts looked like they were hungry to keep the game close and then go for a possible knockout punch. It was not to be and Tufts being Tufts and so adept at submerging in the middle of games when faced with a little adversity completely collapsed to give up five 2nd Period Goals and it was "tsetchem leshalom" as Hamilton Won the Game 6-1 and outshot the Jumbos 28-6 in the 2nd Period alone. Rumor has it after the 2nd Period the Tufts Bus Driver came into the building and had asked if the plan was to leave now or was Tufts planning on finishing the game. All jokes aside Tufts gave a fantastic effort in the 3rd Period which say's a lot about how much this team is really trying to do the right things. For this game though Hamilton looked as good as I have seen them this year and that is a real good sign. Everyone pitched into the scoring this weekend with RW #24 Matt Gellerman getting a "hatty" at Conn on Saturday and then proceeding to win Nescac POW for the 2nd time this year. The talented Soph is at 11-3-14 for the year and is one skilled winger using his strength and skating to cut to the net and his overall game eventually wears defenders down. The Sunday Showcase also featured an absolutely ridiculous Goal of the Week from Hamilton's #6 Sean McAvoy. The Deerfield Academy lefty was threaded a nice pass as he moved into the O Zone. He was in alone with only one Tufts defender to beat to get to Goal. That defender was Alaskan native #3 Gunnar Stadem. Like most young men and women from Alaska his Dream Job growing up according to his bio was to become a Hedge Fund Manager. Jesus when does this all end. He is only a Soph so plenty of time to change his mind but you are only in your 20's once and unless you really need to go earn take a year or two and really go on an adventure you may find you have a passion for something completely different or think about digging deeper into the game you love(umm Hockey) or try to go to.....forget it just go earn. Right the Goal. McAvoy deked #3 Stadem maybe twice in the same move that was almost Houdini like and then snapped one past Tufts G #32 Peyton Durand to give Hamilton a commanding 4-0 lead before Stadem even realized what had happened. Goal of the Weekend and a must highlight to watch.

Heroes to Zeros:

Word of the day-"Vicissitude"

Amherst- Here I am on here a couple days ago recapping Amherst commanding victory over Conn on Friday night. Writing about how Amherst was playing some of the best Hockey in the league. Writing about how if Amherst were to continue to get consistent goaltending, focused defending and continued goal scoring they would be in a great position to Win that Nescac Championship. Then they travelled to Tufts for a Game on Senior Night for Tufts. I really think Amherst assumed all they had to do was show up and Win. Get off the bus and proclaim that "We have arrived and are in the building do we grab the trophies now or after the game?" In an absolutely dissatisfying and disappointing performance and a "Throw out the Video on that one" Game Amherst went down 5-1 in the 2nd Period and lost the Game 8-5 while out shooting the Jumbos 46-25. Tufts had their usual 10 Penalties/game but 4 of them came after they had a 7-3 lead and were seemingly enjoying themselves while getting to entertain in front of their families and friends. Looked like even Amherst D #3 Greg McGunigle had some local fans show up from nearby Melrose as they went crazy when he scored from the point as Tufts G #35 Josh Sarlo got screened to get Amherst within 3 Goals at 5-2 but it only got worse from there. Rumor has it that McGunigle's fans were so embarrassed at the end of the game they sheepishly snuck out the door without any goodbye's or pleasantries just shaking their heads in disgust and headed back to Oak Grove(I lived in Melrose for a cataclysmic 4 months a while back). Amherst Coaching Staff sacked G #30 Dan Dachille after Tufts scored their third goal in the opening 6 minutes. Personally it was the defending that was deserving of the sack but since that is harder to do you pull the Goalie. The effort and especially focus on defense was just not there for Amherst. Tufts 1st Goal was an #16 Aiden Lovett breakaway off a great pass from #4 Cam Newton. Newton is a serious athlete on skates. Tufts 2nd Goal Dachille allowed a rebound off a tough shot and Tufts Frosh #26 Clark Bolin cleaned it up nicely. When Dachille did cough it up I suppose he could have pounced on the deflected puck faster as he was scored on off the rebound but the 3rd was a free #21 Mason Kohn wrister in the slot with a lot of defenders caught "puck watching". Dachille has really put together some solid goaltending this past month so maybe you let him try to work it out on his own but patience on the Amherst bench was wearing thin and they went to the Frosh #1 Connor Leslie who was not any better throughout the rest of the game and now you might have two Goaltenders with lost confidence or hopefully for Amherst sake it is a one off and everyone forgets it most importantly the Goalies. How everything can change in one night though. Amherst falls to 9-10-2 (8-7-1). Amherst has proven to be a team of spurts this year. Win 3, Lose 4, Win 4, Lose 2 etc etc.

Today's Game:

Midd: 3-12-3 (2-11-2) (+.5 +110) at Conn: 5-11-3 (4-9-2) ( -.5 -110) 5pm O/U 5

Game Notes:

-Conn Home Record: 0-6-3
    -Midd Road Record: 1-5-1

-I will get into both of these teams games from this past weekend in my next post but now I will be able to intertwine it with this game.
    -Midd has absolutely nothing to play for as they are stuck in either 9th or 10th Place no matter what. That means a Road Game for the Play-In. That did not matter at Williams, will it matter today?
    -Is Conn really going to go Winless at Home in 10 Games this year?
    -Ever since the 3-3 Tie with Colby Conn has gone 0-3-1 in their last 4 Games.
    Last edited by Mr.Right; 02-15-2022, 05:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Right
    replied
    Still on Friday's Games with a Quick Recap:

Amherst at Conn- This was a decent game with 16 Total Penalties(8 for each team) but only Amherst could take advantage on the PP. It was a 1-1 Game for 2 Periods but as the game wore on Amherst really ground Conn down as their speed and possession thru all three zones was causing problems for Conn and three 3rd Period Goals sealed it as Amherst Won the Game 4-1. 1st Period Conn was effective at disrupting Amherst in the neutral zone forcing giveaway's or 50/50's but when Amherst did get into its O Zone 1st Period they looked dangerous and were generating good sniffs at goal. Still Conn's Goalie #1 Sean Dynan was saving everything put on goal for the first 2 Periods. The Amherst Line of LW #25 Ryan Tucker 4-4-8, C #9 Mitchell Shults 2-8-10 and RW #19 Christian Powers 0-3-3 I thought was causing problems early for Conn as Tucker and Shults are like darts with exceptional speed. Amherst has some good young talent with the Frosh LW #20 Ben Kuzma 7-5-12 as he is also leading the team in Shots with 75. Another dangerous player is Frosh #41 Matt Toporowski 3-10-13 as the kid busts and is unafraid out there which is fun too see in a Frosh but he does lead the team with 10 Pens. That is one of Amherst biggest problems as they lead the league with 103 Pens called for 218 minutes spent in the box this season. I think some of it is an individual lack of discipline but a lot of it is Amherst plays an aggressive style when hunting the puck and sometimes Pens will happen but Amherst also can get careless, lazy and frustrated(i.e Amherst #22 Connor Merrill in the 1st Period missed a chance off a 2v1 then proceeded to allow his frustration of the missed shot morph into a lazy and unnecessary Hooking call in the neutral zone about 20 seconds later after missing his chance on goal.) This is what I mean by players needing a little more "mind control" while still being super aggressive and not letting anyone off easy.

We had a Frosh brother battle in the 1st Period as two more lightning bolts of speed lined up against each other. Amherst Frosh #8 Bobby Luca and Conn's Frosh #24 Jack Luca. They will have 3 more years of battling each other as both played at Roxbury Latin. I absolutely love the name Luca and both first names roll with the last name. Just for a chuckle the name Jack Luca sounds like the name of a CEO or an Investment Banker. The name Bobby Luca echo's a disreputable loan shark who WILL "break legs".

2nd Period Amherst got on the board first with a PP Goal from #16 LD Connor McGinnis. #11 von Steinbergs moved off the puck to create space for himself and his teammates. McGinnis was on the weak side dot and found von Steinbergs on the point. von Steinbergs already knew where he was going as he passed to #4 Senior Sean Wrenn on the strong side. Wrenn smartly one timed a pass back across the Ice thru the slot to a wide open McGinnis still on that weak side dot. McGinnis in one fell swoop cracked a slapper right past Conn's G Dynan for a 1-0 Amherst lead. Conn would score 2 minutes later on a bad giveaway / miss hit by Amherst Soph D #5 Spencer Kimball. Kimball was paired with #3 Greg McGunigle and they had both been on the Ice for what had to be over two minutes but did not have a chance to change. I think Kimball just lost focus for a split second as when you are tired you can sometimes get careless with the puck. Well that is what happened next as it turned into a great pass from behind the Goal to get the primary Assist on Conn's #26 Kei Yasuda's Golazo to even things up 1-1. Kimball was trying to pass to his teammate and Conn's Yasuda was in the right place at the right time as he was in front of the goal and was as surprised as everyone else in the building when the puck was passed perfectly to him and he calmly beat Amherst G #30 Dan Dachille. That would be all that Dachille would let up on this night as he continues his stellar play. This Amherst team with the good goaltending they are getting right now from Dachille is playing some of its best hockey of the year. The skaters in front of him have full confidence in Dachille and therefore are more confident themselves on the Ice. Confidence and similarly lack of confidence can spread like wildfire on a team you gotta roll with the former and try to break the latter. Amherst started 2-6-1 or something but the way Amherst is playing right now it looks like a team on a mission and they will not be satisfied until it Wins the Nescac Championship and gets an NCAA game.

3rd Period began at 1-1 and ended 4-1 Amherst. My "trois etoiles" for Amherst in this game would be G Dachille, RD #11 von Steinbergs and Senior winger #26 Matteo Mangiardi. Dachille I mentioned above. von Steinbergs 2 Assists and again was covering a ton of Ice in this game. His movement off the puck and his passing with his head up shows why he is such a smart player. von Steinbergs was key to Amherst getting its 2nd and 3rd Goal's. 2nd Goal was von Steinbergs winning the puck in his defensive zone sending an unbelievable "Double Seamer" thru the neutral zone that found #26 Mangiardi tape to tape and Mangiardi was in alone on goal as he beat Conn's G Dynan. Mangiardi is having another productive season at 7-5-12. 3rd Goal von Steinbergs carried the puck from one nd to the other and cut on the goaline all with composure and eyes up as he found a wide open Wrenn on the weak side dot for a bomb but it missed everything. This is where #26 Mangiardi comes into play as he retrieved the puck and drove with it into the slot area drawing Conn defenders like a magnet. He waited long enough for Wrenn to get wide open on that weak side dot again and this time Wrenn buried it. #20 Kuzma showed some serious skill on Amherst 4th Goal after receiving a fantastic pass from #22 Merrill in the neutral zone that released Kuzma charging into their offensive zone. Kuzma had to still beat one Conn defender and he used a sick piece of skill to deke the kid and had a free wrister which he placed nicely.

Just a really good effort Friday night by Amherst as they are playing some of the best Hockey in the league right now.
    Last edited by Mr.Right; 02-13-2022, 05:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Right
    replied
    Colby at Wes:

2-2 Final with Colby going up 2-0 early in the 1st period and Wes staying patient not panicking and finding a Goal in each of the 2nd and 3rd Periods. Wes came out sluggish and a bit sloppy with the puck compounded by giving up 2 Goals in the first 10 minutes. However, when their student body arrived the tide turned. Wes was playing for the crowd and the crowd willed them on to biggger hits, harder work and more dangerous scoring chances. It made a big difference in the game. Colby was making life difficult on Wes in the Neutral Zone and it wasn't the cleanest of games yet still really exciting. Colby again was forcing giveaway's like mad and Wes made some dangerous turnovers in their end. Colby C #28 Michael Morrissey was back on the Top Line with #14 Breitenfeldt and #8 Grillo. The Senior Morrisey played like he wanted to stay there. He scored a Goal about one minute into the game as a puck deflected to him and he calmly buried a wrister. Then he got to a loose puck near the half boards in Colby's Offensive end an sent a great pass to Grillo who was charging toward goal and beat Wesleyan's Goalie #31 Marc Smith for a 2-0 lead. Morrisey finished 1-1-2 winning 11-20 F/O's. Grillo actually also finished 1-1-2.The team and the crowd wroked off each other with every hit including #13 Sorabella's crushing hit in the 2nd Period. As the crowd willed Wesleyan back into the Game both Goalies put on a serious display of Goaltending as both made some great saves throughout the game. Wesleyan almost Won it late in Regualtion on a PP but Colby's G Beran stood on his head. Sorabella would be my MVP of the Game for Wes saving about 2 Goals alone defending a 5v3 and putting his body on the line in the 2nd Period. Had Colby scored on that 5v3 the game would have been out of reach for Wesleyan. Sorabella worked hard as usual but also found the GTG with about 10 minutes left in the Game. Solid Game and will be curious what both teams bring today
    Last edited by Mr.Right; 02-13-2022, 04:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Right
    replied
    Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
    Nice summary, Mr. Right AKA Write. I, too, feel that Hamilton is a much better team on paper than they have shown to date. And I think you hit the nail on the head with the disinterested player syndrome. I’ve always felt that D3 coaches must find it particularly challenging to keep athletes fully engaged for all 4 (or 5, as the case may be) years given the reality that very few athletes graduate to play at the next level. This is particularly true in the NESCAC where there’s such high academic standards resulting in the pressure and distraction of finding good paying gigs in the real world. I imagine it manifests itself in some more than others.
    Oh I think these Nescac athletes are pretty motivated and there are plenty of motivated Seniors playing right now in the league. It just seems to be Hamilton for some reason. Motivation can be contagious but you need the right guys on the team to get everyone going. Agreed that each kid or situation is different with after graduation thoughts and pressures and maybe it does play a bigger factor on some teams than I realize but I think kids should be able to separate the two. Again Winning plays a huge role in all this.
    Last edited by Mr.Right; 02-12-2022, 11:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• FLHockeyMom
    replied
    Nice summary, Mr. Right AKA Write. I, too, feel that Hamilton is a much better team on paper than they have shown to date. And I think you hit the nail on the head with the disinterested player syndrome. I’ve always felt that D3 coaches must find it particularly challenging to keep athletes fully engaged for all 4 (or 5, as the case may be) years given the reality that very few athletes graduate to play at the next level. This is particularly true in the NESCAC where there’s such high academic standards resulting in the pressure and distraction of finding good paying gigs in the real world. I imagine it manifests itself in some more than others.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Right
    replied
    Quick Recaps of the games I was able to catch on Friday 2-11.

Hamilton at Tufts-

Hamilton Won the game one minute into OT on #13 D Nick Rutigliano's vicious slap shot from just inside the blue line to beat Tufts 4-3 Soph G #32 Peyton Durand. This was a game with not much flow as the whistles were blowing every two minutes. There were 15 Penalties between the teams(Tufts 8, Hamilton 7) with the most costly being by Tufts Frosh #13 Harrison Bazianos in the final minute of regulation. It carried over to the OT and gave Hamilton a 4v3 in OT which proved the difference. This is Hockey IQ stuff. Bazianos's penalty was in the neutral zone after he had just had the puck on his stick and was called for Roughing. It is vitally important that you know where you are in the game and on the Ice. Only a minute left in the 3rd Period in the neutral zone is not the time to be overly aggressive especially because "Stripes" seemed to be calling everything in this game. Bazianos is only a Frosh and he will learn but it was a costly. Still Tufts worked very hard and should be proud of the effort and really only lost 1 point in the standings by getting the game to OT and will get their chance at revenge in the Sunday Showcase up at Hamilton which will be both teams 3rd game in 3 days and my guess is it will be a wild one. Tufts had everyone pitching into the scoring and really battled in the 3rd Period getting back into the game after giving up a late 2nd Period Goal to open the 3rd with a 3-1 deficit. #21 Mason Kohn might be one of the best F/O guys in the league as he keeps racking up the Wins going 15-23. So there are plenty of positives to build off of. Hamilton also had everyone pitching into the scoring and have like Kohn, one of the best F/O guys in the league in #10 Fred Allaire winning 15-21 F/O's and #44 Scott McKenzie not a shabby 9-13 at the dot. Still this team is a total enigma for me as somehow they have got to get back to the way they were playing in December. One of their Captains #22 Chad Varney has been out since mid January and in 8 Games he was 2-4-6 but I do not see any other major injuries. Hamilton is young defensively and there have been some breakdowns but nothing unlike any other team. I think they have one of the Top 3 Goalies in the league with G #29 Sean Storr and while this team was struggling to score in January they have started to find the Goal much more consistently lately. I think they need some of their veterans to step it up a bit and give a much more consistent all around effort for this team to go on a run. From a distance it looks like some of the veterans body language during January and even still today can at times almost seem disinterested in what they are doing. Some are playing real well some games and then disappear in others. IDK maybe I am way off on this one. I can promise you no one wants to play Trinity in the Nescac Championship but I think Hamilton still has plenty of talent that I am sure teams will want to avoid if possible especially Trinity who Hamilton swept this year.

Last edited by Mr.Right; 02-13-2022, 04:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Right
    replied
    Originally posted by Birds View Post
    Wondering, do you do a poll as in the past ? Not talking NCAA. Just your own poll. How do I see it ?
    Birds,
    Uscho.com, D2/3, Polls or Pairwise....

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Right
    replied
    Amuse and Divert:

Home Team on Bottom Row.

Amherst: 8-9-2 (7-6-1) (-.5 +120)
    Conn: 5-9-2 (4-7-2) (+.5 -145) O/U 5

Bowdoin: 5-8-4 (5-6-3) (+1.5 -200)
    Trinity: 10-7-1 (8-5-1) (-1.5 +160) O/U 5

Colby: 13-4-1 (10-3-1) (+.5 -120)
    Wesleyan: 10-8-2 (8-4-2) (-.5 EVEN) O/U 4.5

Hamilton: 7-8-0 (6-7-0) (-.5 +110)
    Tufts: 4-11-1 (4-7-2) (+.5 -110) O/U 5.5
    Last edited by Mr.Right; 02-10-2022, 03:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X