This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post

It’s becoming “regular season attendance is usually sub-par”. NU has a freakin waiting list for season tickets, and still plays in a half empty barn until late February.

As far as the students go, I don’t get it. Student attendance at sporting events has been steadily declining the last few years, primarily among the Corps students.

All in all, just a huge bummer. We have great teams in our backyard and can’t fill the seats.
    Has not looked like the best crowds in Oswego as well, maybe just a slow start all around, players and fans??

Comment

Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
      Was the game misconduct because Salve managers were arguing with fans and dumped their red gator aid bottles on the ice? Does that mean those managers can not be on the bench next game? Although I couldn't see it happen on the ice, George described it pretty well. In all my years as a hockey lover, I have never heard or seen such poor behavior by team staff. They should have to pay to have the ice re-done if Norwich had to thaw it to get the red out.

As for the game, Norwich had a rough first period but starting in the second everything seemed to click. Passing was better, power play was constructive and generally the team looked more confident. New players matched the speed and effort we've been used to seeing at Norwich. Their composure and discipline impressed me because the Sea Hawk's looked like they were trying to start a fight or at least hurt someone bad enough to take them out of the game. There is a lot of talent on the team and I suspect Coach will have them "clicking" for 60 minutes in just a few more games. Impressed with Kerner, Nagle, Becker and Galotti. Atherton was good in goal, making some impressive saves when under pressure. Defense will need to give him a little better support in clearing the puck out of the zone. The second goal seemed unavoidable due to so many offensive players in the blue ice. The first goal was a fluke coming directly off the face off and I wonder if one of our players should have been on that shooter. I am not a hockey player or coach, so excuse me if my observations mean nothing.

Prez, thanks for your effort to get the live stats going. Sounds like it was a very busy day in athletics on campus. You and your staff do a great job year around!
      As someone who has followed the CCC Hockey since its inception, I am concerned that the Conference is getting a reputation, and not a good one. I can remember a Salve game, a couple of years ago that got out of hand. I also remember a game in Biddeford, I think it was a Conference playoff game with a huge crowd at the Alfond where there was quite a bite of chirping on the ice that led to some really unnecessary, stupid, selfish penalties to both teams. It carried over to the students in the stands.It was not the finest exhibition of sportsmanship by either squad.

Honestly, I don’t see enough of the other conferences to pass judgement, but I do hope the CCC cleans it up a bit!

Comment

Originally posted by dinocoach View Post

As someone who has followed the CCC Hockey since its inception, I am concerned that the Conference is getting a reputation, and not a good one. I can remember a Salve game, a couple of years ago that got out of hand. I also remember a game in Biddeford, I think it was a Conference playoff game with a huge crowd at the Alfond where there was quite a bite of chirping on the ice that led to some really unnecessary, stupid, selfish penalties to both teams. It carried over to the students in the stands.It was not the finest exhibition of sportsmanship by either squad.

Honestly, I don’t see enough of the other conferences to pass judgement, but I do hope the CCC cleans it up a bit!
        Honestly, the conference doing nothing for discipline as a result of the post-game incident at Norwich should be concerning to everyone. To allow the coaching staff to act like they did with no consequence paints the entire league as a rogue entity.
        Go 'Wick!

Comment

Yes attendance is down but then again it is down everywhere. Many schools, (if you look at box scores) are finding hard to get more than a couple hundred at a game. very few have been able to get more than a thousand. I believe it will get better but the pandemic has people a bit shy of big crowds right now. Fans have also found the world of streaming a game where they can sit at home watch the game and have something to drink for no cost.
          Last edited by GOWICH; 11-09-2021, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GOWICH View Post
            . Fans have also found the world of streaming a game where they can sit at home watch the game and have something to drink for no cost.
            There is still nothing like being at the game and interacting with the crowd around you. I do miss my perch up above the goalie in the Attack x 2 end of Krietzberg. You see and hear things at the game that you can't if you are watching at home. When Krietzberg used to draw full houses for games even during blizzards was absolutely the best.

2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

I didn't get to watch the UMB game but it sounds like the Cadets were "stunned" by UMB and finally rallied to get the tie. We have had games like this in past seasons that seem to "wake up" the Cadets and they play more consistantly for the rest of the season. So I guess it was good to get the wake up call early. The fact that it ended in a tie may indicate how competitive most teams will be in the league this year. UMB usually is right up there with Hobart, Babson and NEC.

The game against Johnson and Wales was painful to watch and I am a die hard Norwich fan! J&W looked like a team that hadn't even had lunch together let alone a practice and I kept waiting for their clumsiness and nerves to settle down and allow them to play. That did not happen although they did make some improvement in the second and third period. To their credit, their penalties were clean and they didn't resort to the tactics we saw vs Salvia the week before. In time I believe this team will put it all together and be competative in the league. As for the performance of the Cadets, it's hard to judge when the play is so "lop sided". We got a lot of practice in the power play, going 6 for 11 for over 50%, but this is not likely to happen again any time soon. Passing is improving, speed is great and the guys are looking more confident with many different line combinations. First time for me to see # 10 Mike MacKenzie and I was impressed. He is small but fast, has great skating and stick skills and isn't afraid to get into the scrum for control of the puck. He reminds me of a few other cadets, Colin Mulvey, Tyler Piacentini and Chad Anderson to name a few. Our defense was okay, still working on effective ways to get the puck out of the zone. The one remarkable thing about the game was that Norwich played a disciplined and clean game, with only 1 penalty being called. What is even more remarkable was the refs did not make up questionable penalities on Norwich to "even things out". There has been a whole lot of discussion lately about this and it was encouraging to see a game where it wasn't an issue. Hope this continues to be the trend.

Good luck Cadets on the road this weekend against Castleton and Skidmore. Both games should be a better indicator of how competative the NEHC will be this year as both of these teams have provided challenges for the Cadets in the past.
              There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

Is this Skidmore stream godawful, or is it my internet??

Comment

Terrible broadcast from Skidmore

Comment

Terrible broadcast from Skidmore
                    I gave up. Watching college football. Got the live stats up on my phone.

Comment

That is a not a video of the Skidmore Norwich game, it's just a bunch of out of focus still shots. Do we have to pay for the broadcast?

Comment

What is it about the Skidmore Rink that the Cadets can't seem to get a win there? 4-4 tie to end the night, we needed a wake up call in the third. Cadets could not pass or set up the power play. Maybe it was the ice condition but it didn't seem to bother Skidmore. Disappointing end.

Comment

That is a not a video of the Skidmore Norwich game, it's just a bunch of out of focus still shots. Do we have to pay for the broadcast?
                          Looked like they gave you a few seconds of play and then wanted you to pay. No point in putting a link from the NU page for that.
                          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

A+ broadcast from Castleton unlike the Skidmore game. Nice to see the Cadets pick themselves up after a tough tie yesterday and lapses both games in defense clearing the zone. Almost seems we are bunching up on the defense with too many opponents being left unguarded to pick up the free puck. But the Cadets finished with a productive and well played third period to end the game 5-2. A plus point coming out of these first 5 games is that Norwich plays clean and is capatilizing on the Power play. Besides the obviouse defenseive lapses, I would love to see more 5X5 scoring. Things are already looking better for this relatively young team and I know Coach will help them become more comfortable with line changes and pairings. Keep it up, go Cadets!

Comment

To say the NEHC looks to be competitive this year is an understatement. Easily seven very good teams in the league this year and there are basically no easy nights on the schedule. Going to be one heck of a battle this year to see who ends up coming out on top in the regular season.

Starting to look like Division III's version of Hockey East in its hay day right now.

Big tilt coming up on Friday for the Cadets at home against NEC. Students will be starting their Thanksgiving break. PLENTY of seats will be available, tell your friends, get them to the rink for a big Friday night matchup!
                              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post

Looked like they gave you a few seconds of play and then wanted you to pay. No point in putting a link from the NU page for that.
                                My experience was that you could stream the game, it would just freeze every 15-30 seconds, then play, then freeze, on repeat. At the very end, I was able to view it for longer stretches with less freeze-ups.

Comment

Working...
                                X