Utica College: The gang's all here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utica College: The gang's all here.

According to the Utica site, everyone who was anyone from the (arguably) best team in D-3 hockey this past year is on this season's roster. All the top scorers and all the goalies. UC added three fairly large D-men, and that was it.

Half of the team must be getting gray around the edges, but it's hard not to consider this iteration as an early favorite for the whole enchilada.

Hey fish, when do they start ?
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

I did also see a rather large netminder on elite website as well believe around 6'6"....did he show up??

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
        Hey fish, when do they start ?
        Exhibition at Oswego on the 16th. First real game is vs. Cortland in The Aud a week later.

Comment

What web site is the Utica roster posted on??
          I checked the college web site and didn’t see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            According to the Utica site, everyone who was anyone from the (arguably) best team in D-3 hockey this past year is on this season's roster. All the top scorers and all the goalies. UC added three fairly large D-men, and that was it.

Half of the team must be getting gray around the edges, but it's hard not to consider this iteration as an early favorite for the whole enchilada.

Other than their All American and best player from last year. Landrigan signed with Orlando in the coast

Comment

Originally posted by JSicedog View Post

Other than their All American and best player from last year. Landrigan signed with Orlando in the coast
              Well, damn... UC had him on the roster just a couple weeks ago.

It continues to confound me why these guys (especially an Academic All American such as Landrigan) opt to play in those bush leagues.

Why not just get a real job?
              Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-05-2021, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Well, damn... UC had him on the roster just a couple weeks ago.

It continues to confound me why these guys (especially an Academic All American such as Landrigan) opt to play in those bush leagues.

Why not just get a real job?
                Because nobody cares if you start your working career as a 25 or a 27 year old. At the end of the day those 2 years of working make no difference in life. Also being able to say you played professional hockey goes a lot further on a resume than you would imagine.

On top of that the ECHL is not a bush league. Its one step away from the AHL, and people make a living playing in the AHL.

Comment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...your-twenties/

Just for fun.

Best of luck to him in any case.

Comment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...your-twenties/

Just for fun.

Best of luck to him in any case.
                    The article quite literally says "your first 10 years in the labor market", assuming that are your 20s. But as we all know college hockey players aren't the norm. With most starting their labor careers at age 25-26.

These kids have spent their whole lives playing hockey. And having the ability to play pro and put a little money in their pocket for a year or two isn't the end of the world.

Comment

https://findanyanswer.com/how-much-d...ey-player-make

Again, just posted this for whatever interest might be out there.

Comment

https://findanyanswer.com/how-much-d...ey-player-make

Again, just posted this for whatever interest might be out there.
                        So they make what, $30k a year? And don't pay any living expenses for half the year? What a colossal financial hole that will put them in......

Comment

Originally posted by JSicedog View Post

So they make what, $30k a year? And don't pay any living expenses for half the year? What a colossal financial hole that will put them in......
                          It's not clear if they make the declared weekly salary every week year-round, or just during the season. In either case, we're basically talking McDonald's money.

Slice, not starting a fight. I just looked it up out of curiosity. I've been around UC hockey since its inception, have known a bunch of parents, and only a handful of the best Utica players (several All-Americans) even bothered with the ECHL. They all said that that there was no money there, and that an ECHL player has a snowball's chance of making a living playing hockey.

And none of them have.

Comment

I can name a few standout D3 players who after playing a couple seasons in the ECHL were able to transition into high level coaching jobs that they probably would not have been able to otherwise. I consider being the head coach of an ECHL, AHL, or NCAA team to be “making a living in hockey.”

Comment

It's not clear if they make the declared weekly salary every week year-round, or just during the season. In either case, we're basically talking McDonald's money.

Slice, not starting a fight. I just looked it up out of curiosity. I've been around UC hockey since its inception, have known a bunch of parents, and only a handful of the best Utica players (several All-Americans) even bothered with the ECHL. They all said that that there was no money there, and that an ECHL player has a snowball's chance of making a living playing hockey.

And none of them have.

More than half of D3 hockey would play hockey if it meant getting paid "McDonalds money" for a couple years.

It also depends on what you consider "making a living". Because Tim Coffman is still in Switzerland playing and he will be 34 next month. He does fine for himself...

Comment

Working...
                              X