Utica College: The gang's all here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post

It all depends. If a team goes on the road without a return visit, then the host often compensates for travel. RIT schedules opponents who are also agreeing to come to RIT or the homecoming game downtown and there’s no money involved.

Atlantic Hockey’s commissioner wants a more even split in home and away non-conference games but some programs prefer the cash.

This season Princeton comes to RIT and RIT goes to Arizona State as the second half of scheduled series. Next season Notre Dame comes to RIT’s homecoming, which usually sells out Rochester’s AHL Blue Cross Arena with nearly 11,000 fans. That game got canceled in 2020. RIT split at Notre Dame this past season.
    That is very interesting and makes sense, the bigger conferences want the bigger venue on the road for their fans otherwise, it's come to my place and I will cut you a check. The issue becomes when a school like RIT gets big enough, they only want 1 and 1's and have to resort to going to Blue Cross. I imagine playing there might be lost revenue for them? Another question, with so many open coaching positions suddenly at D1 schools, in your opinion, is Adam Krug being considered in the running to move up and out of Adrian? I recently read even Michigan may be in play.

Comment

• Originally posted by OZFEST View Post

That is very interesting and makes sense, the bigger conferences want the bigger venue on the road for their fans otherwise, it's come to my place and I will cut you a check. The issue becomes when a school like RIT gets big enough, they only want 1 and 1's and have to resort to going to Blue Cross. I imagine playing there might be lost revenue for them? Another question, with so many open coaching positions suddenly at D1 schools, in your opinion, is Adam Krug being considered in the running to move up and out of Adrian? I recently read even Michigan may be in play.
      It's not so much resorting to Blue Cross, it's that homecoming is there every year. The Gene Polisseni Center holds 4,300, so that's enough for the rest of the year.

Most of the open positions are looking for a high profile coach. BC and BU are likely being filled with those with experience in the program and/or alums. Michigan State and especially Michigan would be looking for a big name with D-I experience and success. Michigan State really needs to get competitive after more than a decade as an also-ran.

But that could also open a chain reaction of openings if a current coach moves into one of the openings. Ron Fogarty's success at Adrian landed him at Princeton, which is not in the same category as BC, BU, Michigan State or Michigan.

Comment

Let's see: new arena, three trips to the NCAA tournament, much more national brand recognition. But I'm sure RIT would rather be playing Chatham or Wilkes or Lebanon Valley than Notre Dame, Princeton, Arizona State, Army, Air Force, Holy Cross, etc.
        Check out the bottom line.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Check out the bottom line.
          Sorry. I forgot the </sarcasm> closing tag.

Comment

Sorry. I forgot the </sarcasm> closing tag.
            You missed the point, as you so often seem to do.

My point was that RIT didn't benefit from the move "up" to the AHA, and neither will Utica.

The empirical evidence supports that statement 100%.

Comment

My point was that RIT didn't benefit from the move "up" to the AHA, and neither will Utica.

Well Apparently besides being a secret GM for Utica with backroom access to Hennen, the official presidential advisor for UU's D2 athletics move, Fishnutz is also a forensic accountant with access to RIT's books as well as enrollment and credit data. As someone who works in higher ed, I can tell you even a shift of 10 enrollments to the positive for an institution like RIT would mean upwards of $500,000 in revenue for the school. So fish before you're done talking out of your azz can you tell us who at RIT is giving you enrollment reports tracked to the athletics programs because that's what made the decision for RIT and that's what will decide for Utica as well. If the transition to D2 will be a net positive for Utica based on enrolment stabilization (in the current higher ed climate a change like this would not even need to cause enrollment gains it would just need to stop enrollment losses). By the way, that's what the study that is sitting on Utica's President's desk will be talking about it has nothing to do with competition, or if they will win a national title it's simple damn economics. Like everything else higher education is a business no one at Utica gives a single flying **** what a troll-like Fishnutz thinks (no matter how much he wants them to - unless he starts donating building name kind of money) they care about keeping the lights on.

Comment

He didn’t miss the point, he was finding a polite way to deal with a blowhard troll on the USCHO boards when he is in fact one of the faces of USCHO himself.

Its up to the rest of us to be more explicit and note how hollow and bad your posts are.

For example: What empirical evidence?

Because you’re going to have to fight against the revenue that got them a new rink, the trip to the Frozen Four, the increase in visibility of the institution and size of freshman classes, etc. All of which, of course, shows that whatever empirical evidence there is doesn’t “support that statement 100%”. You’d be lucky if it supported your statement at all.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Some of you are new to Fishstench and his ways, but he has been mocked on here for a while for making grandiose claims with no empirical evidence. So then he trots out an empirical evidence claim and doesn't provide any.

You can't make this stuff up.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

He didn’t miss the point, he was finding a polite way to deal with a blowhard troll on the USCHO boards when he is in fact one of the faces of USCHO himself.

Its up to the rest of us to be more explicit and note how hollow and bad your posts are.

For example: What empirical evidence?

Because you’re going to have to fight against the revenue that got them a new rink, the trip to the Frozen Four, the increase in visibility of the institution and size of freshman classes, etc. All of which, of course, shows that whatever empirical evidence there is doesn’t “support that statement 100%”. You’d be lucky if it supported your statement at all.
                    Add to that ongoing plans to move all sports to D-I. Here's some more empirical evidence: RIT's 2021 enrollment is 19,718, making it the fifth largest private university with D-I hockey, behind BU, Harvard, Cornell, and Northeastern.

And you're right. Being polite to blowhard trolls comes with the territory.

Comment

Add to that ongoing plans to move all sports to D-I. Here's some more empirical evidence: RIT's 2021 enrollment is 19,718, making it the fifth largest private university with D-I hockey, behind BU, Harvard, Cornell, and Northeastern.

Didn’t RIT’s enrollment used to be around 15,000 in the Division III all sports days?

could you make any correlation to the nearly 5K increase in enrollment to moving hockey up and growing the University brand on the national level?
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

Didn’t RIT’s enrollment used to be around 15,000 in the Division III all sports days?

could you make any correlation to the nearly 5K increase in enrollment to moving hockey up and growing the University brand on the national level?
                        The enrollment had risen to 15,000 in the transition year to D-I from around 7,000 25 years earlier. The point I was making wasn't the correlation but that RIT's size suggests it should be at D-I not just in hockey, but everything. I don't remember the numbers, but there was a significant seven-figure value attributed to the Frozen Four. From an institutional standpoint, the classification as a "national university" because of the vast expansion of PhD programs means that playing teams with a national profile is valuable.

Comment

Who cares about the enrollment? RIT is basically irrelevant at the D-1 hockey level (and in every other sport), no matter how many people attend that school... End of story, as far as that goes.

And, by definition, a "troll" is someone who has no dog in the hunt, but insists on making intrusive remarks.

You're one of those individuals, but at least you don't hide behind a fake account as does "UC Alum".

Paste a gold star on your forehead.

Comment

Who cares about the enrollment? RIT is basically irrelevant at the D-1 hockey level (and in every other sport), no matter how many people attend that school... End of story, as far as that goes.

And, by definition, a "troll" is someone who has no dog in the hunt, but insists on making intrusive remarks.

You're one of those individuals, but at least you don't hide behind a fake account as does "UC Alum".

Paste a gold star on your forehead.

Well Fish, the people that care about enrollments are the Faculty, Administration, students and you know generally all the people that are involved with a higher education institution because on general enrollment is the main deciding factor in ever budgetary factor of a college including the Athletics department.

As for your fake account crack how about this it you post a picture on this site of you holding up a sign that says I am an idiot and my views and comments do not in anyway represent Utica Fans I'll be more then happy to post a copy of my 2004 UC diploma (and yes it is a UC diploma still with the SU seal that's how old school I am) because I have no doubt in my credentials in this fight. Any body actually seen Fish's face that can confirm if he has the balls to post anything in response to this?
                            Last edited by UCAlum32; 04-21-2022, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Enrollment means money. And if their sports programs, no matter how successful or not they are, helps drive up enrollment, that's all that matters to the bean counters. You really are massively dense.

Under your argument, Dartmouth should drop their hockey program. They are a small school and their hockey team has been irrelevant seemingly since they started.

And another point to show how massively dense you are -- RIT is the defending D3 men's lacrosse national champions. If that's irrelevancy, I wish my alma mater were that irrelevant.

Oh wait, silly me. Relevance only counts when you are a perennial national contender but haven't won jack (well one national playoff game in all of existence).
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                                You really are massively dense.
                                Every message board needs massively dense frequent posters who have no clue what they're talking about. That gets traffic to the board and makes money for the website.

Some are so exceedingly massively dense that maybe we need to hand out awards.

But as Russell points out, if we follow the logic about teams that are relevant nationally, we'd get rid of all but 15 teams in D-I and abolish D-III hockey. But nobody is that massively dense. Almost nobody.

Comment

Working...
                                X