Utica College: The gang's all here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JSicedog View Post

Why do you care so much that we cheer for our team on our own thread? It's you guys that find the need to hijack it for some reason.

We can't choose what conference were in unfortunately. Everyone realizes its a layup league - and will probably be WORSE next year since Wilkes graduates their entire team. But Utica does play Adrian every year and the site alternates every year. They also host a Thanksgiving tournament every year that further takes away from NC opportunities.

You talk a lot of smack for being a "USCHO columnist" - you should call one of the UC players or Mr Heenan a mouth choker to their face, not behind a computer. I would bet a tournament bid for the next 10 years that you wouldn't.
    Heenan and I get along just fine, thank you very much.

And yes, I will give Utica some credit for some of the nonconference games they line up, and I always like a school that takes the effort to organize a good tournament every year. But Utica needs to be more battle tested.

P.S. I'm brave enough to talk smack under my real name. Why don't you show the balls to do the same before you challenge me to say something to Heenan's face?
    Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 03-22-2022, 03:46 PM.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post

How old do you think Adrian's program is? They have "perennial national contender" status.
      Care to read? He compared them to SNC, Norwich, and Stevens Point. No mention of Adrian, who you have been quoted on here saying is not a perennial national contender either.

Comment

• Originally posted by UCAlum32 View Post
        They are working on getting out of the worst conference in D3 unfortunately its only to get into the worst conference in D1, sorry just had to stir up some trouble but if any one wants to put some money on the dates of the athletics transition announcement I would like the graduation weekend square.
        Yeah, this it like the "U. of Illinois is going to create a varsity hockey program" shtick. :-) Who's going to win this turtle race?
        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Care to read? He compared them to SNC, Norwich, and Stevens Point. No mention of Adrian, who you have been quoted on here saying is not a perennial national contender either.
          I said they were on the border. They have graduated in the weeks since. I think you are the one proving a lack of comprehension skills.

Comment

• Originally posted by UCAlum32 View Post

They are working on getting out of the worst conference in D3 unfortunately its only to get into the worst conference in D1, sorry just had to stir up some trouble but if any one wants to put some money on the dates of the athletics transition announcement I would like the graduation weekend square.

I am not going to disagree, smucks like Fishnutz make Utica Fans look dumb but remember there are some of us who know hockey for example as a die hard UC guy I can still appreciate the defensive hockey clinic UNE put on (perfect balance of clogging the middle and still giving your goalie a good view of the puck). Am I disappointed yes but I can recognize when we were not the best team on the ice. Yes they need to play some tougher games especially in that slot before the end of season conference game push because as the old saying goes iron sharpens iron and anyone who has ever played a sport knows the only way to win big games is play big games. On the plus side we should have a lot of guys back next year and if they really are gamers they will all remember that loss.
            Thank you for a cogent post. Had Fishgutz responded this way none of this bickering would have ever started. Then again I assume you aren't a raging narcissist like he is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Yeah, this it like the "U. of Illinois is going to create a varsity hockey program" shtick. :-) Who's going to win this turtle race?
              I'm pretty sure at the last NCAA convention they did lift the ban on D3s playing D1 in some sports. I will be not surprised by this announcement.

Comment

I'm pretty sure at the last NCAA convention they did lift the ban on D3s playing D1 in some sports. I will be not surprised by this announcement.
                They did not. (And if I'm wrong, I guess I'll be eating crow.)

Utica would have to go D2 as a school, at the very least.
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

I'm fairly certain it did pass, and in a landslide. But I suppose I could be wrong also.

Comment

Which has already been confirmed. Ask around.........

Comment

I'm fairly certain it did pass, and in a landslide. But I suppose I could be wrong also.
                      I think you're confused. :-) What passed in a landslide was legislation to allow those few D3 schools which had a D1 play up (five all together, including RIT and Union hockey) and who missed the last grandfathering period to now be allowed to offer scholarships for those D1 teams. That's it. And the reason that was done was because there was never, ever going to be anymore play ups allowed. So, they could finally close the book on that issue.
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

I think you're confused. :-) What passed in a landslide was legislation to allow those few D3 schools which had a D1 play up (five all together, including RIT and Union hockey) and who missed the last grandfathering period to now be allowed to offer scholarships for those D1 teams. That's it. And the reason that was done was because there was never, ever going to be anymore play ups allowed. So, they could finally close the book on that issue.
                        Hmmm. I went back and read the proposal again. It looks like you are correct. I was interpreting it much more broadly.

If Utica can't do it, that would prevent them from moving up divisions just to get away from teams they can't beat when it matters.

Comment

Hmmm. I went back and read the proposal again. It looks like you are correct. I was interpreting it much more broadly.

If Utica can't do it, that would prevent them from moving up divisions just to get away from teams they can't beat when it matters.
                          But like I said in the past, there is a loophole for hockey. A school only needs to go to D2 and still be allowed to play D1 hockey without any special waiver.
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Which has already been confirmed. Ask around.........
                            The D2 part? Yeah, I've been hearing that as well. But every time I hear a date for the announcement, it comes and goes without an announcement...
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                              That was a great addition to this thread.

The puck didn't necessarily look secured to me, but the whistle is the whistle, early or not.

Comment

He never said they were not one of the top teams in the country. Once again, the deflection from his question. Not to mention, all you need to do is look at the past 10 years (don't worry about 25) and compare programs like SNC or Stevens Point or Norwich to Utica. Heck, compare Geneseo -- at least they made it to the semifinal four times in that span. Utica has won just one freaking NCAA playoff game. One!

Fishman was asked what makes Utica a perennial contender. He never answered.

Hint: Like you said, they are not.
                                Don't play semantics. Utica has been a (let's say) top-10 team for a few years now. If that's not "perennial" enough for you, fine.

And, as to NCAA berths, don't be so disingenuous as to pretend that you don't know that the ECAC West was absolutely screwed in the "selection process" for years and years.

Comment

Working...
                                X