Utica College: The gang's all here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Isn't the RS good enough? We're talking 25 games, as opposed to a couple of weekends.
    Blame the ACC basketball tournament.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post

Blame the ACC basketball tournament.
      Don't blame NCAA basketball, there are many cynical bucks to be gleaned there, but the copycat approach by D-3 hockey is utterly moronic. Pretty-much nobody makes a dime playing D-3 hockey... No how, no way, PS or not. And, in general, nobody gives a **** about D-3 hockey, anyway.

To bolster my point, Leb Valley bussed it up from PA to get their asses handed to them at Utica tonight, 11-1, and UC didn't even try to score in the 3rd. What was the point, in terms of $?

The cumulative score between the two was 27-1 over the three games they played. LVC was 6-16, #64 PW, but they were still alive for a shot at the NCAA's. What an idiotic notion it is to throw a line to a bottom-feeder such as that, as though that sort of team deserves even the most remote shot at an bid.

Still, there'll be worse teams in the mix this year...

Sooooo stupid, but typical.
      Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-22-2022, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
        Think of it this way… the NCAA tournament starts now, but some may get a second chance at it. Win, and you keep playing. Lose, and you are in the hands of the at-large bids for that second chance.

If you’re good enough, you will keep winning. If you don’t keep winning, maybe you just aren’t good enough after all.

In summary, win.
        That's absurd.

One game should never trump a 25-game schedule.

(And excuse my French.)

Comment

• So that’s it then, Adrian is our National Champion.

edit... And no, I am not trying to be obtuse, argumentative, cynical, absurd or an a-hole... I am just trying to be 'real'. The 25-game season does a few things that matter...

Your performance over the 25-game season puts you in a position for that "second chance" I mentioned previously. There are many, MANY teams that will not be offered that "second chance". A select few - Adrian, Utica, Augsberg, Geneseo, St. Norbert, and maybe even Hobart - have put themselves into the position to possibly get that "second chance" should they fail to win. That's fair, they've earned it. Is it "fair" that Plymouth State's presence may mean that one of them will not get that "second chance"? Yes!... after all, the teams mentioned would only need that "second chance" if they don't win! It's a second chance. A mulligan. A "do-over". Win, and you don't need it!

Your regular season of Conference games also matter, as it puts you in a position to be on home ice during the Conference Tournament. If you did good in your regular season Conference games, you will likely have at least one game on home ice to prove yourself. If you did great in your regular season Conference games, you will likely have home ice throughout the Conference Tournament, and that matters.

But of course, the most significant thing that matters during the post-season is... win! Whether it is in the Conference Tournament, or the 'silly' NCAA Tournament... win! Don't win, go home (or maybe, just maybe... get that "second chance").
          Last edited by Transplanted Tiger Fan; 02-23-2022, 10:23 AM.
          Dave
          RIT - '90

Comment

• It'll be Utica vs. Manhattanville on Saturday, they upset Stevenson 4-1. Wilkes v. Chatham in the 2nd Semifinal

Comment

• Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
              So that’s it then, Adrian is our National Champion.

edit... And no, I am not trying to be obtuse, argumentative, cynical, absurd or an a-hole... I am just trying to be 'real'. The 25-game season does a few things that matter...

Your performance over the 25-game season puts you in a position for that "second chance" I mentioned previously. There are many, MANY teams that will not be offered that "second chance". A select few - Adrian, Utica, Augsberg, Geneseo, St. Norbert, and maybe even Hobart - have put themselves into the position to possibly get that "second chance" should they fail to win. That's fair, they've earned it. Is it "fair" that Plymouth State's presence may mean that one of them will not get that "second chance"? Yes!... after all, the teams mentioned would only need that "second chance" if they don't win! It's a second chance. A mulligan. A "do-over". Win, and you don't need it!

Your regular season of Conference games also matter, as it puts you in a position to be on home ice during the Conference Tournament. If you did good in your regular season Conference games, you will likely have at least one game on home ice to prove yourself. If you did great in your regular season Conference games, you will likely have home ice throughout the Conference Tournament, and that matters.

But of course, the most significant thing that matters during the post-season is... win! Whether it is in the Conference Tournament, or the 'silly' NCAA Tournament... win! Don't win, go home (or maybe, just maybe... get that "second chance").
              Adrian, Utica, Augsberg, Geneseo, SNC and Hobart don't need a "second chance" to "prove" themselves...

Those teams have already proven themselves worthy of a berth over the course of 25 games in the FIRST place. In any rational context, they'd all be a lock as we speak.

25 games is a far, far, far better metric than a side-show conference tournament, when a bad team can catch lightning in a bottle and negate the entire RS.

This is completely obvious to anyone who possesses even the most remote grasp of how statistics work.

Hello.

Comment

Adrian, Utica, Augsberg, Geneseo, SNC and Hobart don't need a "second chance" to "prove" themselves...

Those teams have already proven themselves worthy of a berth over the course of 25 games in the FIRST place. In any rational context, they'd all be a lock as we speak.

25 games is a far, far, far better metric than a side-show conference tournament, when a bad team can catch lightning in a bottle and negate the entire RS.

This is completely obvious to anyone who possesses even the most remote grasp of how statistics work.

Hello.
                I would be very surprised if any of those listed teams weren’t in the NCAA’s. Those 6 are already in despite what happens the rest of the way in conference playoffs

Comment

That's absurd.

One game should never trump a 25-game schedule.

(And excuse my French.)
                  Lol rent free. Such a shame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post

Lol rent free. Such a shame.
                    Congrats on being named the 2022 Fishman'81 National Champion for your excellent performance over the 25-game regular season.
                    5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                    2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post

Congrats on being named the 2022 Fishman'81 National Champion for your excellent performance over the 25-game regular season.
                      Wow that wasn't so hard...signed Adrian

Comment

• Originally posted by OZFEST View Post

Wow that wasn't so hard...signed Adrian
                        Adrian's season achievement was a helluva lot harder than ANYONE winning a ridiculous, 3-game, season-negating conference tournament... Get the point?

Those of you who mock the notion of "sample size" might want to consider taking a 4th-grade math refresher course.

(Assuming that your local elementary school allows you within a mile of it.)
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-25-2022, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Adrian's season achievement was a helluva lot harder than ANYONE winning a ridiculous, 3-game, season-negating conference tournament... Get the point?
                          Adrian's season achievement will in no way be negated by failing to win the 4 game (plus a mini if necessary) Harris Cup.

An untimely loss in the NCAA tournament on the other hand...

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post

Adrian's season achievement will in no way be negated by failing to win the 4 game (plus a mini if necessary) Harris Cup.

An untimely loss in the NCAA tournament on the other hand...
                            Excuse me, but weren't we talking about garnering a berth in the first place?

Looking back, yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by JSicedog View Post

I would be very surprised if any of those listed teams weren’t in the NCAA’s. Those 6 are already in despite what happens the rest of the way in conference playoffs
                              Four AL teams get in, am I right?

If that's the case, two of the six teams referenced could be bounced by a perfect storm of tournament upsets.

Correct me if that isn't a possibility.

Comment

Four AL teams get in, am I right?

If that's the case, two of the six teams referenced could be bounced by a perfect storm of tournament upsets.

Correct me if that isn't a possibility.
                                Definitely possible, but if SNC is the one left out in this scenario, they would deserve it from failing to win a single game against the top two teams in the west.

Comment

Working...
                                X