Utica College: The gang's all here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

There seems to be nothing meaningful via calling yourself a "university" v. a "college".

UC itself admitted that in yesterday's presser. Nothing will change in terms of academics; it's apparently all about the signage, period.

(And UU sounds lousy compared to UC.)

I don't get it.
    Essentially from what I've been told, in 49 of 50 states, Utica had the academics requirements to be a university, but until recently, New York was using a very old definition of a university v. a college, and as of this year, NYS updated their definition to be consistent with the other 49 states, and Utica then applied and quickly was granted University status.

The athletics announcements are coming later because of things they couldn't control with the people upstairs (NCAA)

Comment

There seems to be nothing meaningful via calling yourself a "university" v. a "college".

UC itself admitted that in yesterday's presser. Nothing will change in terms of academics; it's apparently all about the signage, period.

(And UU sounds lousy compared to UC.)

I don't get it.
      Well, its not just Utica. It is my understanding that between 25 and 30 colleges were either also granted university status this week or will be granted university status in the next few months. We will have to see if the other institutions announce the change in status as quickly as Utica did.
      Last edited by UCBadger; 02-17-2022, 11:26 PM.
      2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
      2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
      2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
      2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
      2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
      2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
      2009 D-III TOP runner-up
      Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
      1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

• Originally posted by JSicedog View Post
        Can the perennial national contenders who get spanked 14-6 in a weekend please take it to their own decrepit thread?

Can’t wait to jump over to the D1 thread. Hopefully they don’t invade other team threads to tell everyone how unstoppable their team is year after year. (All while getting beat 14-6 in a weekend)
        Where is the post where I said St. Norbert is unstoppable year after year? I said it fits the definition of perennial national contender. Two very different things. Again, where else would I discuss Utica being labeled a perennial national contender than the Utica thread? Are your comprehension skills really this lacking?

Comment

We finally agree on something, Russ!

But this D-3 forum has at least one extraneous, petty little p**** on it who's as pathetic as anyone I've ever seen on a D-1 thread, and we all know who she is.

I feel sorry for you, Steve. I really do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pioneer247 View Post

Essentially from what I've been told, in 49 of 50 states, Utica had the academics requirements to be a university, but until recently, New York was using a very old definition of a university v. a college, and as of this year, NYS updated their definition to be consistent with the other 49 states, and Utica then applied and quickly was granted University status.

The athletics announcements are coming later because of things they couldn't control with the people upstairs (NCAA)
            Correct. NYS had a tougher definition of University.

Fishman is partly correct. There is no difference in academic quality between university and college. But there is a difference in academic diversity and choice. By definition, a university has a larger academic diversity and choice. Which means, universities are typically larger than colleges, but not always the case. Heck, just look at Clarkson. It's still a tiny school, whether they called themselves a college or now a university.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by UCBadger View Post

Well, its not just Utica. It is my understanding that between 25 and 30 colleges were either also granted university status this week or will be granted university status in the next few months. We will have to see if the other institutions announce the change in status as quickly as Utica did.
              But isn't it a distinction without a difference? Sure seems to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by UCAlum32 View Post

I think you could still technically right if they are a DII institution they would really just be a DII school that is playing up
                Has a D-2 program ever accomplished anything at the D-1 level?

I can't remember such a thing, but what do I know.

Comment

But isn't it a distinction without a difference? Sure seems to be.
                  In every other state a University is a school that offers a certain number of graduate degrees, period. Utica has not changed (well recently anyway) as an institution to meet the state regulations. The state regulations have changed to meet where Utica currently is as an institution (and has been for the past decade or two, ever since they started offering graduate degrees). I guess its hard for folks here in New York to keep up with everybody else in the USA......lol. (For what's it worth, Colgate still does not meet the new definition of University)

But back to you question.....does it matter if you are called a college or a university? Well our administration certainly believes so. What is often mentioned is that in some (many?) other countries a college is equivalent to our high school so being a university helps with international recruiting. And, there are many levels of university...R1, R2, masters, and probably several others. But, back to the original point, Utica became a university many years ago.....its just that it could not call its self that without moving out of New York State.

I was hired as an assistant professor, promoted to associate professor and granted tenure by Utica College of Syracuse University (the promotion and tenure decisions were approved by Syracuse University, its board of trustees, and signed off by its Chancellor), I was promoted to Professor by Utica College, and I will retire (and hopefully be granted emeritus status) from Utica University.
                  Last edited by UCBadger; 02-18-2022, 11:33 PM.
                  2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                  2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                  2009 D-III TOP runner-up

Comment

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minn...uluth_Bulldogs

Comment

• And lets not forget the University of North Dakota who have won 8 National Championships, two before there were divisions, 5 while they were a D-II institution, and one since they transitioned to D-I in 2008 (the start of the transition, not the championship). It was always a good time when the Fighting Sioux came to the Dane County Coliseum to play Wisconsin, back when Wisconsin was a national powerhouse in hockey (As was D-II University of North Dakota) I witnessed one of the great college hockey brawls 40 years ago between UW and UND when I was in grad school. Dubbed the Water Bottle Game https://madison.com/sports/college/h...95fdec00d.html it was, well, just amazing. Checkout the age restricted video link in the article!
                      Last edited by UCBadger; 02-19-2022, 12:16 AM.
                      2009 D-III TOP runner-up

Comment

What a second, I get it, Fish is being facetious! He’s been following the University of Maine ever since THEY were D2. And they had that hot streak back in the 1900’s under Walsh when they won the whole thing once or twice.

Nicely played!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post

They can add a secondary nickname of "The Double U"
                          U2, but there may be copyright issues.

Reminiscing:
                          2014 was a banner year for D3 playups.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Apples and oranges.

Duluth has played D-1 hockey for decades, haven't they? They weren't D-2 upstarts when they won the NC.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post

U2, but there may be copyright issues.

Reminiscing:
                              2014 was a banner year for D3 playups.
                              I like it!

Comment

• Ignoring the little green trolls, it was good to see Dickson back in net tonight. (Not that Landsberger wasn't stellar in relief with his .963 Save %).

The drag is in the bag, in terms of home-ice throughout the silly tournament, but the ridiculous AQ isn't guaranteed... There's these guys from PA that nobody is talking about.

Wilkes is a very dangerous team. Better than Adrian, from what I've seen first-hand, and ditto via Genny.

Of course, five games in the aggregate is a limited sample-size, but watch out for Wilkes if they garner a berth. I am absolutely convinced that they could beat anyone on a given night.

Comment

Working...
                                X