Utica College: The gang's all here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post

To be ineligible for a postseason? Strange flex.
    We went through this. This is the loophole. A D2 team can ask to participate in the D1 tournament since there is not a D2 championship. Many of the D2 women's teams will be doing just that -- already formed a league to get the AQ.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

We went through this. This is the loophole. A D2 team can ask to participate in the D1 tournament since there is not a D2 championship. Many of the D2 women's teams will be doing just that -- already formed a league to get the AQ.
      Was sick that day

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

We remember, Russ, but thanks.

But I don't see how this will work out better for Utica than it has for RIT, St. Thomas, et al... And pretty much for the entire AHA.

If UC pretends to be a D-1 program, the attendance will soon resemble a SNC "crowd" of 500. UC will be cannon-fodder for the foreseeable future. The Aud won't be packed anymore when the cheapest seats go for twice the present price.

I don't grasp the logic of this move, if it actually happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

But I don't see how this will work out better for Utica than it has for RIT, St. Thomas, et al... And pretty much for the entire AHA.

If UC pretends to be a D-1 program, the attendance will soon resemble a SNC "crowd" of 500. UC will be cannon-fodder for the foreseeable future. The Aud won't be packed anymore when the cheapest seats go for twice the present price.

Can I buy your crystal ball?

Comment

• Originally posted by JSicedog View Post

Let's see how it works out for UC.

Hasn't worked out for any other program in forever.

I doubt it'll work for Utica, either.

Comment

Do you actually believe that Utica is a D-1 program?

Comment

Well, to be honest, St. Thomas just started the transistion. This is their first year. Technically, they aren't even D1 yet and won't be for a few years. And they are in a very good conference. So, we don't know how that is going to turn out.

But I get your point. I keep going back and forth. They do have some good things going for them to build a solid program. I don't think they will outright suck. But, are they just going to be "good mediocrity"?
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

That calculus has never borne fruit via D-3 programs. No crystal ball need be employed.

Pretty sure that UC's stab at it (should it happen) will be another case of ****ing into the wind, and hoping that your pants won't get wet.
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-12-2022, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Do you actually believe that Utica is a D-1 program?
                    My question to you is why do you think they will struggle in D1? A 19-20 year old junior player will choose Utica over any other AHA school. 95% of the time they don’t care about academics, they get to play in the best atmosphere in the AHA and share a rink with an AHL team. You will undoubtedly see kids get a shot with the Comets if UC goes D1. Heck, we’ve seen UC kids get a shot with the Comets when they were D3…

Comment

• I think the reason for the move (I don’t have first hand information on this) but Utica has been trying to get into a more competitive league for some time now. With Hobart and Elmira gone doesn’t leave for a competitive league. Neumann and Manhattanville aren’t the teams they used to be. Naz and Stevenson aren’t that great either. Wilkes has been great addition to league being a new program. Kings, Chatham speak for themselves. After the Nexus Center is done I would assume Utica would have some of the best facilities to use.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeyguy1424 View Post
                        I think the reason for the move (I don’t have first hand information on this) but Utica has been trying to get into a more competitive league for some time now. With Hobart and Elmira gone doesn’t leave for a competitive league. Neumann and Manhattanville aren’t the teams they used to be. Naz and Stevenson aren’t that great either. Wilkes has been great addition to league being a new program. Kings, Chatham speak for themselves. After the Nexus Center is done I would assume Utica would have some of the best facilities to use.
                        100% agree.

*But* playing in a weak league gives UC the inside lane to an AQ, as well.

Comment

My question to you is why do you think they will struggle in D1? A 19-20 year old junior player will choose Utica over any other AHA school. 95% of the time they don’t care about academics, they get to play in the best atmosphere in the AHA and share a rink with an AHL team. You will undoubtedly see kids get a shot with the Comets if UC goes D1. Heck, we’ve seen UC kids get a shot with the Comets when they were D3…
                          IMO there's a gaping talent-gap between UC and a good D-1 team. Heenan would have to turn the entire roster over (aside from Dickson, perhaps) and that would take years.

I agree that it's likely UC would eventually have a recruiting advantage in the AHA (should they be invited), but the AHA is D-1 Lite. It's not a conference that attracts top talent nor one that contends for the NC.

It's not that I won't continue to be a hard-core fan if they make the move, but I think it's a bad one. UC is in a great place right now.

"If it ain't broke..."

Comment

• I agree that UC would be cannon fodder for years to come. What's wrong having a powerhouse D3 program with the highest attendance (over 3000) a game ? Full rinks are great, better for everyone !
                            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

IMO there's a gaping talent-gap between UC and a good D-1 team. Heenan would have to turn the entire roster over (aside from Dickson, perhaps) and that would take years.
                              And it takes years to make the transition to move up before the NCAA recognizes your new classification. You aren’t even eligible for the National playoffs until that transition is complete. So you have the time to get the talent built up.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Have you heard anything definitive?
                                Definitive? That's a laugh. Faculty have no idea that there is any talk of changing athletic status. Nothing has been said to us at all. (Other changes, yes, but not related to athletics.) Should an announcement come out soon, it will be a complete surprise to almost all. All I am working on is rumors I have heard here and some internal rumors (???) within certain student groups.
                                2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                                2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                                2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                                2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                                2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                                2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                                2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                                Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                                1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Working...
                                X