Utica College: The gang's all here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post

Since the dip**** believes in empirical data to prove or disproves statements, I went to the Massey Ratings website to compare St. Norbert and Utica's schedules over the last 10 seasons, excluding 2021 as SNC did not play.

The Strength of Schedule as computed by Massey is listed here with St. Norbert first and Utica second. Only in one of those seasons did Utica have a schedule considered the stronger. Keep in mind this is out of roughly 80 teams give or take a few depending on the year.

2022: 20-46
    2020: 9-61
    2019: 32-67
    2018: 15-70
    2017: 31-46
    2016: 5-25
    2015: 32-22
    2014: 18-29
    2013: 7-15
    2012: 7-15
    2011: 13-30

So there you have it. Hard facts and not just opinions.
    I like this. Facts to an argument. I will even help show your point more. We have established that UWSP had the same path that Utica had, as neither had automatic qualifiers. Let me take your chart and add a third column for UWSP strength of schedule from the Massey Ratings. I also have the results for UWSP if they made the tournament and/or how they did:

2022: 20-46-41
    2020: 9-61-21 - No
    2019: 32-67-11 - Yes, Champion
    2018: 15-70-32 - Yes, lost in semis
    2017: 31-46-6 - Yes, lost in quarters
    2016: 5-25-1 - Yes, Champion
    2015: 32-22-1 - Yes, lost in championship
    2014: 18-29-6 - Yes, lost in championship
    Start of powerhouse - also start of WIAC and no autobid
    2013: 7-15-2 - No
    2012: 7-15-2 - No
    2011: 13-30-1 - No

I would not consider UWSP to start becoming a national power again until 2014, which also is exactly when they lost the autobid. Funny, they played a tougher schedule than Utica during those years and did better than them. They also won a ton of post season games with the only post season they didn't win won game in was in 2017. This is what a national power house looks like without an autobid.

You know you are on the wrong side of an argument when an SNC and a UWSP fan agree on something.

I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

• This is the reason Utica will go D1 while St Norbert and UWSP remain D3 heroes forever. Even the St Norbert and UWSP fans are obsessed with Utica hockey.

Not to mention this forum evaporates into the sunset once that happens. Enjoy the bickering while you can. We got bigger fish to fry - sry

Comment

• Originally posted by JSicedog View Post
        This is the reason Utica will go D1 while St Norbert and UWSP remain D3 heroes forever. Even the St Norbert and UWSP fans are obsessed with Utica hockey.

Not to mention this forum evaporates into the sunset once that happens. Enjoy the bickering while you can. We got bigger fish to fry - sry
        That's funny, I thought Utica was going D1 so they could be irrelevant at two levels instead of just one.

It really is quite remarkable that a statement gets made on a message board and is thoroughly refuted and that somehow equals an obsession. The only obsession here is Utica and its fanbase portraying itself as a victim in all things.

Comment

That's funny, I thought Utica was going D1 so they could be irrelevant at two levels instead of just one.

It really is quite remarkable that a statement gets made on a message board and is thoroughly refuted and that somehow equals an obsession. The only obsession here is Utica and its fanbase portraying itself as a victim in all things.
          It really is quite remarkable that you claim you aren’t obsessed with Utica hockey given the fact you are more active on this thread than you are on the St Norb thread. Jealousy is an ugly trait.

Comment

It really is quite remarkable that you claim you aren’t obsessed with Utica hockey given the fact you are more active on this thread than you are on the St Norb thread. Jealousy is an ugly trait.
            You really need to quit projecting. It's quite unbecoming. Not to mention no one has still tried to answer the original question seeking evidence to back it. Probably because there is none.

Comment

• Why has it gotten so quiet in here?

Comment

• Originally posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
                Why has it gotten so quiet in here?
                Sir Nubs got upset that somebody other than St Norbert was called a perennial contender. Everyone knows only St Norbert can have that label. All hail.

Comment

• That is not what was said at all, and you know this. Norwich, Stevens Point, St. Norbert and Oswego are perennial national contenders. Maybe Trinity. As good as Adrian has been they only have one win ever at Frozen Four. Plattsburgh, Middlebury, Superior and River Falls used to be perennial national powers but have regressed.

This is a message board, a place where discussions are held. Fishman made a statement and I asked him to support his hypothesis. So far nobody has been able to and the only response from the Utica camp has been ad hominem attacks. Until somebody answers the question with something concrete I will keep asking it.
                  Last edited by Sir Nubs; 02-10-2022, 01:54 PM.

Comment

That is not what was said at all, and you know this. Norwich, Stevens Point, St. Norbert and Oswego are perennial national contenders. Maybe Trinity. As good as Adrian has been they only have one win ever at Frozen Four. Plattsburgh, Middlebury, Superior and River Falls used to be perennial national powers but have regressed.

This is a message board, a place where discussions are held. Fishman made a statement and I asked him to support his hypothesis. So far nobody has been able to and the only response from the Utica camp has been ad hominem attacks. Until somebody answers the question with something concrete I will keep asking it.
                    I merely suggested that the tides were turning. Utica has been one of the nation's top teams the past 4-5 years and provided evidence showing that.

I also don't think you are taking into context the advantage a St Norbert, Norwich, Oswego has over a Utica or a WSP in that the former can advance to the tournament in years where they didn't deserve it, unlike the latter.

Comment

• I only hope I will be able to keep and afford my season tickets once we are D-1
                      2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                      2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                      2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                      2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                      2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                      2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                      2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                      Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                      1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

• Most people here could care less what SNC is doing or has done. If I cared I’d comment on the SNC thread… If you’d like a pat on the back here it is, congrats to SNC. I could give two $hits if SNC is national power house or perennial national contender. Here’s a few stick taps for them as well. Good luck the rest of the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                          I only hope I will be able to keep and afford my season tickets once we are D-1
                          Have you heard anything definitive?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeyguy1424 View Post
                            Most people here could care less what SNC is doing or has done. If I cared I’d comment on the SNC thread… If you’d like a pat on the back here it is, congrats to SNC. I could give two $hits if SNC is national power house or perennial national contender. Here’s a few stick taps for them as well. Good luck the rest of the season.
                            I dont think anyone is suggesting you should care about SNC, but to not bring them up or any other team up to further a conversation or debate would be illogical. Also, to not have any other team brought up in discussion would make this an echo chamber and that's just boring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Have you heard anything definitive?
                              I heard from more than one parent that their kids were told about a move up to D2. Take it for what it’s worth.

Comment

I heard from more than one parent that their kids were told about a move up to D2. Take it for what it’s worth.
                                To be ineligible for a postseason? Strange flex.

Comment

Working...
                                X