No announcement yet.

Utica College: The gang's all here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes I know Liberty league is D3, no way Utica goes D1 in all sports. Facilities are nice but no way they would be able to compete, even going to D2 and transitioning to D1. Definitely something brewing

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeyguy1424 View Post
      Yes I know Liberty league is D3, no way Utica goes D1 in all sports. Facilities are nice but no way they would be able to compete, even going to D2 and transitioning to D1. Definitely something brewing
      I'm confused why you said they would have to jump to the Liberty League. They can stay in Empire 8 if they were allowed to move one sport up.

Icedog seems to think (know?) something is up. We'll find out soon enough...
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• The reason I think they move to Liberty is because they would be similar to RIT and Union. Hockey is D1 and all other sports remain at D3.

Comment

• If they really wanted to they could very well stay in E8. Time will tell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

But just one sport? Can't happen. Unless something strange is going on here.
            an honest question here........... Is it conceivable that the entire Utica hockey program could be transferred to Syracuse?

Go 'Wick!

Comment

• Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post

an honest question here........... Is it conceivable that the entire Utica hockey program could be transferred to Syracuse?
              Utica College is no longer part of Syracuse University. So, no. And besides, it wouldn’t be Utica going D1…
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

They can only jump if the ENTIRE school jumps to D1. Do you really see that happening? (Well, technically, the school could go D2 with the hockey team playing D1, but that gets complicated.)
                Russell-
                There is a vote before the NCAA this January to waive the D1 scholarship play up rule. If the vote goes through teams that have 1 sport playing up at a D1 level will be able to offer scholarships on par with current rules. This rule was sponsored by RIT, Union and Utica...... so you tell me
                SHU Class of 2000. Heck at least I realize AH isn't that good.

Comment

• wow The U has a few good seasons and there's talk of going D1......

Comment

• Using RIT as a comparison and ignoring whether or not it is even possible, moving to D1 would probably be a mistake. RIT was a perennial favorite at the D3 level, 9 NCAA appearances in the last 17 years as a D3 program, and after 17 years as a D1 program has made the NCAAs all of 3 times. They are at best a middle of the road D1 program recruiting the same kids as the top tier D3 programs. Isn’t being a winning D3 program better?

Comment

I have no idea what you are talking about nor your sudden angry dog approach.

A D1 regional was never held in the HarborCenter. Are you even aware the HarborCenter is in Buffalo? Do you have any clue what we are talking about?

Hell, I've been agreeing with you all along -- that the AHA tournament doesn't draw. But instead you want to turn into a complete dick. Go ahead, have at it. Your shtick never changes.
                      Russ, you know how to do "dick" better than I do. You might even have invented it, old bud. (But I'm taking notes. Always striving to be the best I can be.)

Yet, yeah, I had my venues mixed-up. I'm old and have been to a lot of arenas, and I forget ****...

The place I was describing was in ROCHESTER! Don't remember its corporate branding at that time (mid 2000's, sometime) and I blew that one. I get the Buffalo and Rochester exits confused at times. The monotonous middle section of the Thruway has a mind-numbing effect as one travels West from Utica. I just exit when The Warden tells me to.

In any case, it's fun to see this thread as active as it is. Keep on commenting, you all. I readily admit that (generally) D-3 posters are more interesting than the D-1 peeps.
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-13-2021, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                        wow The U has a few good seasons and there's talk of going D1......
                        It's more than the hockey in this case though in my opinion. You would be bringing to Division 1: one of the best venues in college hockey (in my humble opinion), a fanbase that would be #20 in D1 attendance using current numbers from this year (and would be #1 in the Atlantic), the to-be-finished Nexus Center right next door, which will end up being a top tier training facility for hockey in New York State, and most importantly, a city that believes and supports their hockey programs.

It's not an inconceivable thought to have UC in Division 1. Will they be going to the tournament year one? Absolutely not. But it's a program that has the tools to be successful and a venue where D1 teams want to play in

Comment

• Originally posted by Pioneer247 View Post

It's more than the hockey in this case though in my opinion. You would be bringing to Division 1: one of the best venues in college hockey (in my humble opinion), a fanbase that would be #20 in D1 attendance using current numbers from this year (and would be #1 in the Atlantic), the to-be-finished Nexus Center right next door, which will end up being a top tier training facility for hockey in New York State, and most importantly, a city that believes and supports their hockey programs.

It's not an inconceivable thought to have UC in Division 1. Will they be going to the tournament year one? Absolutely not. But it's a program that has the tools to be successful and a venue where D1 teams want to play in
                          Pretty sure that it's close to impossible to go D-1 in just one sport, still.

And even if that could happen despite the silly NCAA rules, I'm not at all convinced that replacing an elite D-3 team with a bottom-feeder D-1 team makes any sense here, in the first place. (See RIT.)

Yeah, The Aud is a fancy venue, but try to recruit at Utica for top-shelf D-1 talent. Good luck with that!

Utica is right where it needs to be, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeyguy1424 View Post
                            I don’t know how this happens but RIT was the last to make the jump to D1. All other sports are still D3.
                            20+ years ago. I haven't seen it since then.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHUCrosscheck View Post

Russell-
                              There is a vote before the NCAA this January to waive the D1 scholarship play up rule. If the vote goes through teams that have 1 sport playing up at a D1 level will be able to offer scholarships on par with current rules. This rule was sponsored by RIT, Union and Utica...... so you tell me
                              Can you link us to the proposal for said rule change?
                              2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                              2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                              2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                              2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                              2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                              2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                              2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                              Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                              1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Pretty sure that it's close to impossible to go D-1 in just one sport, still.

And even if that could happen despite the silly NCAA rules, I'm not at all convinced that replacing an elite D-3 team with a bottom-feeder D-1 team makes any sense here, in the first place. (See RIT.)

Yeah, The Aud is a fancy venue, but try to recruit at Utica for top-shelf D-1 talent. Good luck with that!

Utica is right where it needs to be, IMO.
                                NCAA rules aside - because the vote IS 100% happening within a few months.

To your other point I disagree. The Utica community likes their hockey. Its not just another Atlantic Hockey school, hoping the college students come to the game tonight. Utica is an immediate contender in the AHA.

Recruits want to go where they are treated well. From a hockey standpoint they would get treated the best in Utica over any other AHA school

Comment

Working...
                                X