Utica College: The gang's all here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

You can't go D-1 in just a single sport anymore.

St. Lawrence, Clarkson, RPI, Union, et al are D-1 only in hockey, but they were grandfathered years and years ago.

That ain't going to happen at UC any time soon, if ever.
    I don’t know the logistics but I can tell you there is a decent chance it will happen. Go over to the D1 board and even the other AHA schools are aware Utica wants to join. Its being voted on soon

Comment

• Originally posted by JSicedog View Post

I don’t know the logistics but I can tell you there is a decent chance it will happen. Go over to the D1 board and even the other AHA schools are aware Utica wants to join. Its being voted on soon
      They can only jump if the ENTIRE school jumps to D1. Do you really see that happening? (Well, technically, the school could go D2 with the hockey team playing D1, but that gets complicated.)
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

The Utica OD printed today what you alluded to: the Harbor Center was just too big a venue for such a poorly-attended event.
        That makes absolute ZERO sense. The HarborCenter capacity is 1,800. The Utica Aud is what, like ~3,700?

What I said is the HarborCenter looks better with a smaller attendance because it has a smaller capacity.
        Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

They can only jump if the ENTIRE school jumps to D1. Do you really see that happening? (Well, technically, the school could go D2 with the hockey team playing D1, but that gets complicated.)
          Come back in a few months…You don’t have to believe me

Comment

Come back in a few months…You don’t have to believe me
            So, you are saying the whole school is going D1? Because that is the only way it can happen (with that one caveat I wrote). Which means football is too? I can't see them affording to keep football even at the FCS level. And how is the basketball team going to recruit D1 level talent in the shadows of Syracuse?
            Russell Jaslow

Comment

That makes absolute ZERO sense. The HarborCenter capacity is 1,800. The Utica Aud is what, like ~3,700?

What I said is the HarborCenter looks better with a smaller attendance because it has a smaller capacity.
              Ya know, I didn't look up that venue. I assumed it was the same one I went to some years ago to see a D-! Regional. That place had a corporate stamp on it, and was kinda downtown. There was a beautiful church nearby, built by a famous architect, but it was a fairly ****ty place to watch hockey, in terms of sight-lines

Thing is, none of that matters. You want to pick nits, go ahead and knock yourself out for a cheap point.

The bottom-line is that the AHA tournament will not draw ANYWHERE, and certainly not in Utica.

EDIT: The Blue Cross Centre, or something like that.
              Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-11-2021, 09:50 PM.

Comment

I doubt that very seriously. And I think it would be a bad idea in the first place.

UC is a force in D-3, but it would be a bottom-feeder in D-1 for many, many years, if not forever.

Comment

Ya know, I didn't look up that venue. I assumed it was the same one I went to some years ago to see a D-! Regional. That place had a corporate stamp on it, and was kinda downtown. There was a beautiful church nearby, built by a famous architect, but it was a fairly ****ty place to watch hockey, in terms of sight-lines

Thing is, none of that matters. You want to pick nits, go ahead and knock yourself out for a cheap point.

The bottom-line is that the AHA tournament will not draw ANYWHERE, and certainly not in Utica.
                  I have no idea what you are talking about nor your sudden angry dog approach.

A D1 regional was never held in the HarborCenter. Are you even aware the HarborCenter is in Buffalo? Do you have any clue what we are talking about?

Hell, I've been agreeing with you all along -- that the AHA tournament doesn't draw. But instead you want to turn into a complete dick. Go ahead, have at it. Your shtick never changes.
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

I doubt that very seriously. And I think it would be a bad idea in the first place.

UC is a force in D-3, but it would be a bottom-feeder in D-1 for many, many years, if not forever.

Interesting take considering the top 5 D3 teams could certainly hold there own in the Atlantic any given year.

Comment

So, you are saying the whole school is going D1? Because that is the only way it can happen (with that one caveat I wrote). Which means football is too? I can't see them affording to keep football even at the FCS level. And how is the basketball team going to recruit D1 level talent in the shadows of Syracuse?
                      Talk to you in February Mr Jaslow

Comment

Talk to you in February Mr Jaslow
                        Well, I'm certainly not going anywhere. LOL
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

• I don’t know how this happens but RIT was the last to make the jump to D1. All other sports are still D3.

Comment

• I’m assuming Utica would have to make the jump to the Liberty league and play football against Union, St Lawrence along with all other sports. They could still play non conference games against surrounding D3 for football, basketball, lacrosse etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeyguy1424 View Post
                              I’m assuming Utica would have to make the jump to the Liberty league and play football against Union, St Lawrence along with all other sports. They could still play non conference games against surrounding D3 for football, basketball, lacrosse etc.
                              The Liberty League is D3.

The bottom line is, the NCAA no longer allows schools to move just one sport up. RIT was the last to do it (men's and women's hockey) before the door was shut.

Unless Utica found some weird loophole, they will have to move the entire program up to D1. Which is like a 15 year process, because first you have to move your entire school to D2 which is like a 7-8 year process and then move the entire school to D1, which is like another 7-8 year process. The NCAA has made it very difficult for a reason -- money. They want to protect the current D1 schools who rake in the money from CBS' BB contract.

St. Thomas was able to skip over the D2 step because they got (for a reason I still haven't understood) a waiver from the NCAA.

You could move your school up to D2 and still have your hockey teams play at D1 because there is no D2 hockey (not enough schools). That will cut the process short.

But just one sport? Can't happen. Unless something strange is going on here.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

The Liberty League is D3.

The bottom line is, the NCAA no longer allows schools to move just one sport up. RIT was the last to do it (men's and women's hockey) before the door was shut.

Unless Utica found some weird loophole, they will have to move the entire program up to D1. Which is like a 15 year process, because first you have to move your entire school to D2 which is like a 7-8 year process and then move the entire school to D1, which is like another 7-8 year process. The NCAA has made it very difficult for a reason -- money. They want to protect the current D1 schools who rake in the money from CBS' BB contract.

St. Thomas was able to skip over the D2 step because they got (for a reason I still haven't understood) a waiver from the NCAA.

You could move your school up to D2 and still have your hockey teams play at D1 because there is no D2 hockey (not enough schools). That will cut the process short.

But just one sport? Can't happen. Unless something strange is going on here.

Comment

Working...
                                X