It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
      I was being facetious !
      When trollin’ it’s easy to hook a Fish…

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post

When trollin’ it’s easy to hook a Fish…
        Good for you. Perhaps you should cultivate a hobby (maybe knitting) rather that re-living 7th Grade..?

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

I truly didn't know who Altazo follows. I tend to ignore his posts, and I never troll the SNC thread...
          Ah, right, I had forgotten that the new forum doesn't have signature lines.
          5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
          2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

I was being facetious !
            I'm a little slow, Shabby, and getting slower all the time. :-)

Are you planning to hit The Aud for a game this season?

Comment

I am, going to Comets tomorrow, will definitely see UC play, maybe in their tourney.

Comment

I am, going to Comets tomorrow, will definitely see UC play, maybe in their tourney.
                Good call. There'll be some quality teams there, at least in a historical context.

Should be fun!
                Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-10-2021, 10:09 PM.

Comment

As you say, the P/T refs want to "even things out", for no defensible reason.

That's an archaic approach, and it makes for early-90's viewing. D-3 should review their performances, and make personnel moves based on that evidence.
                  Since I moved to Colorado, I've been following the NHL pretty closely, and there was a huge firestorm when Tim Peel was about to retire as a ref and talked about how he would "even things up" to the point where he said he would look for something to call. He wasn't allowed to finish his last season as a ref, but I don't think he was alone, and if that's the attitude at the top of the reffing pyramid, you can bet it filters down.

2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                  2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                  2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                  2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Well, damn... UC had him on the roster just a couple weeks ago.

It continues to confound me why these guys (especially an Academic All American such as Landrigan) opt to play in those bush leagues.

Why not just get a real job?
                    Apologies for being so late to the game on this one, been away for a while. Just thought I'd chime in from the perspective of someone who actually made this very choice.

My reasons for messing around in the minor leagues as opposed to getting a real job were simple. I enjoyed playing hockey and felt like playing some more at a fairly competitive level. Not to mention, it was fun as a DIII player to compete with many kids who came from DI. It certainly wasn't for the money, or any sort of fame or notoriety. I did not have aspirations or illusions of making the NHL, I just wasn't ready to hang up the skates.

As for it hurting my future earnings. I've done just fine, as have the friends who played with me that I stay in contact with. No worries there.
                    93GreatLaker

2012-13 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
                    2011-12 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
                    2010-11 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
                    2008-09 DIII College Hockey Pool Champion
                    2008-09 SUNYAC Pick-em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post

Since I moved to Colorado, I've been following the NHL pretty closely, and there was a huge firestorm when Tim Peel was about to retire as a ref and talked about how he would "even things up" to the point where he said he would look for something to call. He wasn't allowed to finish his last season as a ref, but I don't think he was alone, and if that's the attitude at the top of the reffing pyramid, you can bet it filters down.
                      I know somebody who refs a fair number of NCHA games, and they absolutely try to even out the penalty calls. Or if they screw a team on a bad call, they'll look to screw the other team on an equally bad call later on.
                      5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                      2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

The Thanksgiving Tourney looks to be a good one, UMass Boston tied Norwich last weekend. Definitely looking forward to watching Geneseo play. Two top five teams playing in same barn and potentially playing each other is worth the price of admission....

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post

I know somebody who refs a fair number of NCHA games, and they absolutely try to even out the penalty calls. Or if they screw a team on a bad call, they'll look to screw the other team on an equally bad call later on.
                          Yeah, and that's my point.

A penalty is a penalty, no matter where or when.

D-1 has been getting it right at least half the time, but D-3 reffing reminds me of 1985, and that truly cheapens the game at our level of interest.

Drives me nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyguy1424 View Post
                            The Thanksgiving Tourney looks to be a good one, UMass Boston tied Norwich last weekend. Definitely looking forward to watching Geneseo play. Two top five teams playing in same barn and potentially playing each other is worth the price of admission....
                            I agree, and, while the "rankings" mean Jack S, UMB just HAS to be a top-10 team tomorrow.

Toughest field in a holiday tournament that I can recall.

Comment

Really hoping UC and Geneseo play for the championship, possibly #1 vs #2 if things remain the same.

Comment

Really hoping UC and Geneseo play for the championship, possibly #1 vs #2 if things remain the same.
                                That seems somewhat likely, Shabby, and what a big game that will be.

Neither team has a steep hill before them, but UC has split with Adrian, which will be a PWR factor.

Genny, on the other hand, looks very good, but hasn't played anyone yet, and it's schedule looks as weak as UC's going forward.

These will likely be early-season, de-facto playoff games.

Good stuff!
                                Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-17-2021, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X