Utica College: The gang's all here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    The first half of your first point is kinda valid. (Blind hog/acorn thing I guess), but the vast majority of even *successful* D-1 hockey teams lose money every year. And a grandfathered "D-1 in hockey only school", eg Clarkson, Union, St. Lawrence, Union, RPI, et al..? None of them turn a net profit. Not even close. You can bet that the grandfathered ECAC teams are bleeding money playing at the D-1 level lately.
    Where did I say anything about making money (other than the basketball tournament reference)? What I'm talking about is cherry picking a championship and the willingness for schools to spend money to have a winning program. And the full time D1 schools don't want a D3 school being able to funnel all their money to support one sport at the D1 level because they don't have to spend money on a full slate of D1 teams.

To your 2nd point, not so much. Esche didn't get the money to renovate The Aud via UC's gate, clearly. He managed -somehow- to get the dough via attracting an AHL team there. (I still don't how he accomplished that feat in a 4,000 seat arena, but it HAS worked). I have to give him extreme credit for having both things happening successfully at once, as well as building a huge sports complex right next door.
    In the particular Utica situation, yes. But a D3 school could decide to get a massive donation and build the greatest college hockey rink around. Heck, look at North Dakota (I know they are not D3, but they certainly spend all their attention on D1 hockey). And that is what the D1 schools don't want to see from a D3 school.

Your third point, I agree with. No one has said anything on here to persuade me that it's a good idea for Utica to go D-2, or to even join the AHA. I guess that would have have to been another brain-child of the folks who decided to re-name the school.

All style, no substance.
    College vs. University is a hell of a lot more than style, especially by New York State's definition. But your ignorance knows no bounds. A university includes schools within it and offers a larger variety of programs and degrees than a college does.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.Right View Post
      Well if what u are saying is true and this is happening because NCAA D1 "members" are voting down these proposals because they are scared of new competition then that is pathetic.
      It's the members' choice. Doesn't matter what you or I think or like.

So all Sports are lumped together by the NCAA governing body and its members then vote?
      Essentially yes. And usually by division.

Or does each Sport have its own separate body on these specific issues?
      Basically no, except for very specific sport related issues like rulebooks.

I know each Division has a body but really it should be separated by Sport not Division. That would be the first problem that needs fixing
      Although many niche sports have said this, it won't be, trust me.

Plus, be careful of the unintended consequences if this should happen. What if football and basketball split off from the NCAA, which has been talked about often. It would kill all other championships, especially on the D3 level. After all, who do you think pays for the entire budget of the NCAA? The D1 basketball tournament.

That would be like massive D1 schools insulating themselves and making it almost impossible on the smaller schools
      Bingo. That's exactly what it is, and that's exactly what the big schools want. Heck, the Power 5 essentially don't want anything to do with any other conference/school. I don't want to accuse you of being naive, but you need to pay attention to what's been happening in college sports the past 10 years, especially in football and basketball to understand where this is all coming from. For instance, the Big 10 has very strict scheduling guidelines for non-conference games for all its members and all its sports. They are very unfavorable to non-D1 schools.

Question: What are the differences b/w Canadian University system and NCAA D3 talent wise. Is the Canadian system considered the 2nd option for kids out of Junior? Would D3 schools be considered greater, equal or less than? Just curious
      The Canadian University sports system is basically useless. It's more the equivalent of club/intramural sports. No country in the world has a collegiate sports system like America does. Though, I don't know if that's a good thing or not. LOL
      Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.Right View Post

Question: What are the differences b/w Canadian University system and NCAA D3 talent wise. Is the Canadian system considered the 2nd option for kids out of Junior? Would D3 schools be considered greater, equal or less than? Just curious
        The biggest difference is that players from the three major junior leagues can play for Canadian schools even with two or three years experience in the big 3. There aren't a lot of those players and most Canadian college players come from the same leagues that D3 teams recruit from. Back when it was a thing for D1 teams to open the season with an exhibition against a Canadian school, most games ended up a blow out for the US side.

Comment

• Speaking of playups, the B1G lacrosse conference owes its AQ to a D3 playup - Johns Hopkins.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

It's the members' choice. Doesn't matter what you or I think or like.

Essentially yes. And usually by division.

Basically no, except for very specific sport related issues like rulebooks.

Although many niche sports have said this, it won't be, trust me.

Plus, be careful of the unintended consequences if this should happen. What if football and basketball split off from the NCAA, which has been talked about often. It would kill all other championships, especially on the D3 level. After all, who do you think pays for the entire budget of the NCAA? The D1 basketball tournament.

Bingo. That's exactly what it is, and that's exactly what the big schools want. Heck, the Power 5 essentially don't want anything to do with any other conference/school. I don't want to accuse you of being naive, but you need to pay attention to what's been happening in college sports the past 10 years, especially in football and basketball to understand where this is all coming from. For instance, the Big 10 has very strict scheduling guidelines for non-conference games for all its members and all its sports. They are very unfavorable to non-D1 schools.

The Canadian University sports system is basically useless. It's more the equivalent of club/intramural sports. No country in the world has a collegiate sports system like America does. Though, I don't know if that's a good thing or not. LOL

Not naive about the situation but it seems the Power 5 and their 2 Sports are just going to break away anyway within 10 years. Instead of waiting around for that to happen maybe the rest of the membership in all Divisions and the rest of the Sports better start thinking about their future and figuring out solutions to this inevitable problem. You gotta play hardball and get noisy. The NCAA needs to use what little leverage they have today b4 they have nothing tomorrow.

Comment

• Teams aren't allowed to "play down" as a D-III rule, not a D-I rule. It was aimed at Dayton football, more than anything, to the point that it is colloquially known as the "Dayton Rule." It was passed in 1983, after Dayton beat Ithaca 63-0 in the 1980 D-III title game. The thinking was that the D-I schools playing down had an inherent advantage over their D-III competition, so D-III membership passed a blanket rule. All higher division schools were ineligible for D-III playoffs after its passage, and were largely gone from D-III by 1992 in everything except the northeast D-II hockey schools. The NE-10 schools hung around as playoff-ineligible for a while until the D-III schools started wondering why they were playing them (not because they were necessarily too good, just what the point was).

Does it help grow hockey? No. But that isn't the point of the rule.

Comment

Where did I say anything about making money (other than the basketball tournament reference)? What I'm talking about is cherry picking a championship and the willingness for schools to spend money to have a winning program. And the full time D1 schools don't want a D3 school being able to funnel all their money to support one sport at the D1 level because they don't have to spend money on a full slate of D1 teams.

In the particular Utica situation, yes. But a D3 school could decide to get a massive donation and build the greatest college hockey rink around. Heck, look at North Dakota (I know they are not D3, but they certainly spend all their attention on D1 hockey). And that is what the D1 schools don't want to see from a D3 school.

College vs. University is a hell of a lot more than style, especially by New York State's definition. But your ignorance knows no bounds. A university includes schools within it and offers a larger variety of programs and degrees than a college does.
                That's all about what the school wants to call itself, in any real sense.

Please.

Comment

That's all about what the school wants to call itself, in any real sense. It means almost nothing aside from that.

Please.

Comment

That's all about what the school wants to call itself, in any real sense. It means almost nothing aside from that.

Please.
                    Ignorance is bliss, eh?

Comment

Please.
                      Umm, no.

Again your ignorance (and stupidity) knows no bounds.
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

Again, how did the "move-up" benefit RIT?

RIT is a complete afterthought in D-1.

Utica will be, too.
                        Let's see: new arena, three trips to the NCAA tournament, much more national brand recognition. But I'm sure RIT would rather be playing Chatham or Wilkes or Lebanon Valley than Notre Dame, Princeton, Arizona State, Army, Air Force, Holy Cross, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post

Let's see: new arena, three trips to the NCAA tournament, much more national brand recognition. But I'm sure RIT would rather be playing Chatham or Wilkes or Lebanon Valley than Notre Dame, Princeton, Arizona State, Army, Air Force, Holy Cross, etc.
                          Ed

The only worry is will the cost of fully funding the D1 programs (18 scholarships @ $67K ? 2), kill the remaining D3 programs success?

In other words, will you become a Clarkson in the Liberty League?
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post

Ed

The only worry is will the cost of fully funding the D1 programs (18 scholarships @ $67K ? 2), kill the remaining D3 programs success?

In other words, will you become a Clarkson in the Liberty League?
                            That's a great question. I think there are some factors that suggest otherwise. First, RIT's enrollment is six times Clarkson's, so there's a bigger pool of money to draw from. Second, RIT's new AD is working on increasing staff. Third, the athletic facilities are undergoing a huge makeover: https://www.rit.edu/news/athletic-fa...s-home-stretch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post

That's a great question. I think there are some factors that suggest otherwise. First, RIT's enrollment is six times Clarkson's, so there's a bigger pool of money to draw from. Second, RIT's new AD is working on increasing staff. Third, the athletic facilities are undergoing a huge makeover: https://www.rit.edu/news/athletic-fa...s-home-stretch.
                              Another question. I know how it works in football, but how does the revenue sharing work when a program like RIT visits Michigan? TIA

Comment

• Originally posted by OZFEST View Post

Another question. I know how it works in football, but how does the revenue sharing work when a program like RIT visits Michigan? TIA
                                It all depends. If a team goes on the road without a return visit, then the host often compensates for travel. RIT schedules opponents who are also agreeing to come to RIT or the homecoming game downtown and there’s no money involved.

Atlantic Hockey’s commissioner wants a more even split in home and away non-conference games but some programs prefer the cash.

This season Princeton comes to RIT and RIT goes to Arizona State as the second half of scheduled series. Next season Notre Dame comes to RIT’s homecoming, which usually sells out Rochester’s AHL Blue Cross Arena with nearly 11,000 fans. That game got canceled in 2020. RIT split at Notre Dame this past season.

Comment

Working...
                                X