Utica College: The gang's all here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by geneseo View Post

That's because there are a lot of clothing stores in Utica...
    You guys are terrible. :-)
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• with the attendance so high for Utica games it only makes sense for them to go D1 in Hockey. The area is nice and the rink is electric, recruiting will not be a problem. Jump into Atlantic and #1 in attendance right at the start, huge win for the conference

Comment

• Originally posted by Puckstopper467 View Post
        with the attendance so high for Utica games it only makes sense for them to go D1 in Hockey. The area is nice and the rink is electric, recruiting will not be a problem. Jump into Atlantic and #1 in attendance right at the start, huge win for the conference
        Does RIT not draw 4K per game? I know they used to get huge attendance numbers for the Brick City Weekend games at the downtown arena.

Regardless, I think more people are questioning the impact on the move for ALL of Utica's sports having to go up to Division II in order for D-I hockey to happen. Also, although they haven't done it yet, Utica could conceivably win a national championship at the D3 level at some point, I don't think you can make that claim if they went to Division I.
        Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 03-29-2022, 12:34 PM.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

Utica could conceivably win a national championship at the D3 level at some point, I don't think you can make that claim if they went to Division I.
          Hasn't Utica already won several national championships? I thought that they were perennial national contenders.
          5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
          2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post

Hasn't Utica already won several national championships? I thought that they were perennial national contenders.
            Hey Tommy, the joke has run its course. You and Sir Nubs can tickle each other over being contenders in another thread.

Prez, I agree with you on the last part.

Comment

with the attendance so high for Utica games it only makes sense for them to go D1 in Hockey. The area is nice and the rink is electric, recruiting will not be a problem. Jump into Atlantic and #1 in attendance right at the start, huge win for the conference
              I wonder how much the attendance will suffer if UU goes 3-31 for a few consecutive years... Pretty sure it would tank.

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

Does RIT not draw 4K per game? I know they used to get huge attendance numbers for the Brick City Weekend games at the downtown arena.

Regardless, I think more people are questioning the impact on the move for ALL of Utica's sports having to go up to Division II in order for D-I hockey to happen. Also, although they haven't done it yet, Utica could conceivably win a national championship at the D3 level at some point, I don't think you can make that claim if they went to Division I.
                Average draw was 2052, and in a much bigger market... Utica averaged 3396.

I agree with your second paragraph. "If it ain't broke..."

Comment

• Originally posted by AC09 View Post

How about you keep the politics out of here, kid.
                  I'm an Independent anyway. :P

Comment

• Originally posted by JSicedog View Post

Hey Tommy, the joke has run its course. You and Sir Nubs can tickle each other over being contenders in another thread.

Prez, I agree with you on the last part.
                    All Fishman has to do is answer the question. Pretty simple concept.

Comment

• According the article linked from a post in the DI thread (link to the article here), Atlantic Hockey Association Commissioner Bob DeGregorio stated that there was "A very important meeting... scheduled for this Tuesday [today]. We'll know a lot more then." I've been trying to find some info on any outcome of this meeting, but nothing to be found so far, although I am sure there are much better info sleuths than me out there!

The article linked was interesting, although there is one glaring oversight... Chris Tanev is no longer with the Vancouver Canucks, and has been playing with Calgary for the past two years! But I digress...

Will keep my ears (and eyes) open for more on this topic, particularly the "very important meeting" from today.

Cheers!!!
                      ~TTF
                      Dave
                      RIT - '90

Comment

• Originally posted by UCBadger View Post

Not a fan of the idea since it requires a move to D2 for other sports. Utica College made ESPN (or Sports Illustrated) back in the spring of 1987 when they announced that UC was moving back to D-III following a 6 year experiment in D1. The coverage pretty much was "great move....more schools should consider doing that" My understanding (it was just before I arrived at Utica) was that in those 6 years the NCAA required the College to add more and more sports to remain in D1 and the lift was just too expensive. We are getting to a place where Utica is very completive and are playing for league championships in many sports. I really fear for the health of all of our other sports.
                        I'm with you.

I moved to NY right at the beginning of the Larry Costello era in hoops. Local media tried to drum-up interest, but to no avail. I went to games, and there were a ton of good seats available every time.

UC had a mediocre-to-bad record playing in a small yet half-empty gym vs. D-1 Lite teams like Marist, and I would expect a similar situation should Mercyhurst visit The Aud for hockey.

Like you, I just don't see any real upside for the UU Athletic Department as a whole, or even for hockey in particular.

Comment

• the attraction is to draw elite players to the team and compete on a national level. More $ at D1 level, and on the 3-31 record. well I would hope you can recruit to be better than that.

Comment

• remember hockey teams only get 18 scholarships, it is how you use that funding to attract

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81

Here's little Her Nub again. Having abandoned her "Utica 24/7" and "Pioneers Forever" bull**** scree-names, here she goes with "Puckstopper".

She DOES realize that the one thing she can't hide on here is her join date..?

Probably not.

My God, that little troll is tiresome. Now I have another alias to block.
                              Your ego really is that unchecked if you think I would go through all that trouble to call out your nonsense when one account works just fine. Ask the board administrators to compare the IP addresses. They will tell you how sorely mistaken you truly are.

Comment

remember hockey teams only get 18 scholarships, it is how you use that funding to attract
                                Technically, 18 is the maximum number of scholarships that can be awarded.
                                2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                                2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                                2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                                2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                                2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                                2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                                2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                                Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                                1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Working...
                                X