Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hayden87
    replied
    Hopefully we get to see an exciting season....several schedules have been released already:

Aurora:
    https://athletics.aurora.edu/sports/...dule/2020-2021

Wis. Concordia:
    https://www.cuwfalcons.com/sports/mice/2020-21/schedule

Lawrence:
    http://vikings.lawrence.edu/sports/m...20-21/schedule

St. Scholastica:
    https://csssaints.com/sports/mens-ic...hedule/2020-21

For canoe
    https://canoesurfer.net/

Leave a comment:

• pdt1081
    replied
    Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

I'm with you...It's Fish's claim that the top D3 teams couldn't compete with mid-tier to bottom of the pack D1 teams that is crazy to me. I'm not saying Norwich, St. Norbert, Oswego, etc. would win every game vs. the bottom 5-10 teams...but to think they couldn't compete with them consistently on nightly basis is nuts to me given the little crossover evidence we have and the fact that a lot of these schools are recruiting against each other for the same kids.
    In D1, Adrian games like the 2 against BG would be fairly common. Penned in their own end, facing a large amount of shots. They were able to limit the quality shots (admittedly, BG struggles to generate a high amount of those), which kept them in the games. That's very similar to the bottom 3rd of the WCHA. I would put them closest to the bottom 2 teams in the WCHA. They could win a couple games that way, but not many.

I'm sure the physicality of those 2 games would have been much different had they been competing for league points. Much respect to Adrian on that part. I really wish the NCAA would allow D1 vs D3 games to be counted as exhibition games, instead of regular NCAA games. I would much rather watch games like those BG-Adrian games than waiting for cheap shots while playing Canadian teams.

Leave a comment:

• spwood
    replied
    Luckily, neither side will have to admit they were wrong either, as we'll never have enough evidence to say conclusively one way or the other. Will we have any hint at all with St. Thomas or will they have turned over their roster already when they play their first Div I game?

Leave a comment:

• PrezdeJohnson09
    replied
    Originally posted by sacole13 View Post

As I said the gap between DIII and DI is not as big as some would think. 1-2-1 vs mid tier DI schools is a good result. Now Top DIII schools vs UND, BC or Min Dul would be ugly. But Arizona St or Bemidji a close game would happen.
    I'm with you...It's Fish's claim that the top D3 teams couldn't compete with mid-tier to bottom of the pack D1 teams that is crazy to me. I'm not saying Norwich, St. Norbert, Oswego, etc. would win every game vs. the bottom 5-10 teams...but to think they couldn't compete with them consistently on nightly basis is nuts to me given the little crossover evidence we have and the fact that a lot of these schools are recruiting against each other for the same kids.

Leave a comment:

• sacole13
    replied

I thought the “dregs of Division I” was Atlantic Hockey in your eyes. None of those schools listed play in that league.

Also, no one is claiming top D3 can consistently beat Division 1 teams. Your “it’s not even close” mindset is off base and there is evidence to contradict it that you just refuse to hear.

The top d3 teams could compete and do decent in Atlantic Hockey every year. Nearly every player on a Norwich, St. Norbert, Stevens Point, Oswego etc. drew Division I interest at some point or in some cases played at D-I before transferring. If all those schools are looking at the same players, wouldn’t those games inherently be competitive most nights?
    As I said the gap between DIII and DI is not as big as some would think. 1-2-1 vs mid tier DI schools is a good result. Now Top DIII schools vs UND, BC or Min Dul would be ugly. But Arizona St or Bemidji a close game would happen.

Leave a comment:

• bakdraft21
    replied
    Bowling Green downs the dogs 5-0,must have nice for the dogs to play a top 20 D1 team 2x...........at least they are playing while the SUNYAC sits and watches due to cowardly leadership,as we used to say "No grapes raisins"......Happy Turkey day all...

Leave a comment:

• PrezdeJohnson09
    replied
    Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

The best of D-3 going 1-2-1 vs. the dregs of D-1 in what amounted to meaningless scrimmages..?

Dream on. There just isn't a reasonable comparison to be drawn there.
    I thought the “dregs of Division I” was Atlantic Hockey in your eyes. None of those schools listed play in that league.

Also, no one is claiming top D3 can consistently beat Division 1 teams. Your “it’s not even close” mindset is off base and there is evidence to contradict it that you just refuse to hear.

The top d3 teams could compete and do decent in Atlantic Hockey every year. Nearly every player on a Norwich, St. Norbert, Stevens Point, Oswego etc. drew Division I interest at some point or in some cases played at D-I before transfering. If all those schools are looking at the same players, wouldn’t those games inherently be competitive most nights?

Leave a comment:

• Fishman'81
    replied

So when Adrian beat Princeton, St. Norbert tied Wisconsin, Norwich battled Dartmouth to two close games, including outshooting them in one, those aren’t evidence to contradict your opinion?
    The best of D-3 going 1-2-1 vs. the dregs of D-1 in what amounted to meaningless scrimmages..?

Dream on. There just isn't a reasonable comparison to be drawn there.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-21-2020, 10:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• altazo
    replied
    I suspect tonight’s BG vs Adrian rematch will be a little tighter. Should be able to watch live on Adrian’s YouTube channel.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n3uX65W10rQ
    Last edited by altazo; 11-21-2020, 04:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PrezdeJohnson09
    replied

I would consider the gap to still be fairly large. Even a top-tier D-3 team such as my beloved 19/20 UC squad would struggle to make a splash even in a weak D-1 conference such as the Atlantic.

Just my opinion, or maybe not... All of the emperical evidence bears that out as well.
    So when Adrian beat Princeton, St. Norbert tied Wisconsin, Norwich battled Dartmouth to two close games, including outshooting them in one, those aren’t evidence to contradict your opinion?

Leave a comment:

• sacole13
    replied

I would consider the gap to still be fairly large. Even a top-tier D-3 team such as my beloved 19/20 UC squad would struggle to make a splash even in a weak D-1 conference such as the Atlantic.

Just my opinion, or maybe not... All of the emperical evidence bears that out as well.

And I only give my opinion with no evidence.

Leave a comment:

• Fishman'81
    replied
    Originally posted by sacole13 View Post
    there is a gap between DIII and DI but it is not a big as some people think it is.

Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-20-2020, 10:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sacole13
    replied
    there is a gap between DIII and DI but it is not a big as some people think it is.

Leave a comment:

• bakdraft21
    replied

I had it coming... But a prominent D-3 program losing 6-2 to even a "mid-level" D-1 team is hardly a statement game, no matter how you slice it.

I am interested in the general topic, though. I watch both divisions, and don't see a HUGE gulf between the best D-3 teams and mediocre D-1 teams, but I've also seen pine-shining D-1 players become D-3 All-Americans once they transferred.
    All in good fun.......I can speak for what I have seen at Oswego,we have had several D1 transfers,some come in and kick butt,some end up 3/4th line and dont do much,I'm sure it has to do with skill,but also the player personality.I don't get that excited anymore when I see a D1 transfer coming to Oz,the coaches do a GREAT job recruiting, and many are on the D1/D3 bubble to begin with.

Leave a comment:

• Fishman'81
    replied
    Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post

OK OK let's not technical,just breaking Fishes balls.....;-)))
    I had it coming... But a prominent D-3 program losing 6-2 to even a "mid-level" D-1 team is hardly a statement game, no matter how you slice it.

I am interested in the general topic, though. I watch both divisions, and don't see a HUGE gulf between the best D-3 teams and mediocre D-1 teams, but I've also seen pine-shining D-1 players become D-3 All-Americans once they transferred.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-19-2020, 09:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X