Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elmira College

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by sacole13 View Post

    Not counting chickens.
    Agree, smart philosophy

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Lord_Zubin View Post
      Absolutely crazy to think that if things currently hold Elmira whos #5 in the poll and the pairwise will also be #5 in their own conference and be stuck traveling on the road in the 1st round of the nehc playoffs ( Edit just noticed the nehc website has babson 4 elmira 5 whereas uscho has elmira 4 babson 5 i went with the conference website)
      That indicts the whole "conference"-factor BS in a nutshell.

      If the entire NCAA field was a straight PW deal, nobody would have to scratch his head about such an illogical situation.

      I get it; the money sports rule D-1, but nobody makes a dime in D-3 hockey. Why not make it a bastion of objectivity?
      Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-31-2024, 08:37 PM.

      Comment


      • #48
        Have you seen the latest bracketology predictions? Literally 1-13 in the Pairwise. Even allowing for a few upsets, the top 10 teams are virtually guaranteed a spot just like every other year..
        5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
        2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

          That indicts the whole "conference"-factor BS in a nutshell.

          If the entire NCAA field was a straight PW deal, nobody would have to scratch his head about such an illogical situation.

          I get it; the money sports rule D-1, but nobody makes a dime in D-3 hockey. Why not make it a bastion of objectivity?
          D3 makes their own decisions concerning how the D3 tournament is setup. D1 has absolutely nothing to do with it.

          And like I say a million times, the D3 members are the ones who vote on it. You don't have it like it. I get that attitude. But to blame D1 is flat out ignorant. And to not realize this is what the D3 membership wants and votes on is downright stupid.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post
            Have you seen the latest bracketology predictions? Literally 1-13 in the Pairwise. Even allowing for a few upsets, the top 10 teams are virtually guaranteed a spot just like every other year..
            Fishman never met a fact he can't ignore.

            (Though, to be fair, he has always been consistent on this particular mantra. So, I'll give him that.)
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

              Fishman never met a fact he can't ignore.

              (Though, to be fair, he has always been consistent on this particular mantra. So, I'll give him that.)
              I'm usually able to resist the temptation to argue back on this one.

              If SNC claws their way into the top 13 in the Pairwise but ends up on the outside looking in, I won't be upset about the selection process. I'll be upset about their inability to beat quality opponents on the road this season.
              5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
              2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post
                Have you seen the latest bracketology predictions? Literally 1-13 in the Pairwise. Even allowing for a few upsets, the top 10 teams are virtually guaranteed a spot just like every other year..
                Are they? Let's see how the silly AQ's play-out, for starters.

                And as far as the AL selections go, I seem to have read on here that the D-3 brass will have the leeway to "weight" certain criteria this year, just as in the bad old days. Who knows what that'll lead to. Should EC falter just a bit down the stretch, it could be subject to the "what have you done lately" BS, even if it's clear that they belong in the field. EC's fate looks more and more to be in the hands of the D-3 politburo.

                I'm with PJ on this point: the past couple of years have yielded the best possible fields within the constraints of the current rules... Now we all are subject to the whims of the stuffed-shirts again.

                Hate it.
                Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-01-2024, 08:25 PM.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                  And as far as the AL selections go, I seem to have read on here that the D-3 brass will have the leeway to "weight" certain criteria this year, just as in the bad old days. Who knows what that'll lead to.
                  Yeah, that would suck.

                  Should EC falter just a bit down the stretch, it could be subject to the "what have you done lately" BS, even if it's clear that they belong in the field. EC's fate looks more and more to be in the hands of the D-3 politburo.
                  The Florida State syndrome...
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

                    EC's fate looks more and more to be in the hands of the D-3 politburo.
                    Barring any major nonsense in the conference tourneys or an absolute collapse, Elmira is safely in at the moment. Win over Utica, Win over Norwich, two over Oswego, and a chance for 2 wins over Skidmore, they're set right now

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

                      And as far as the AL selections go, I seem to have read on here that the D-3 brass will have the leeway to "weight" certain criteria this year, just as in the bad old days. Who knows what that'll lead to. Should EC falter just a bit down the stretch, it could be subject to the "what have you done lately" BS, even if it's clear that they belong in the field. EC's fate looks more and more to be in the hands of the D-3 politburo.
                      I thought the at large bids were still straight pairwise this year?
                      5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                      2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Pioneer247 View Post

                        Barring any major nonsense in the conference tourneys or an absolute collapse, Elmira is safely in at the moment. Win over Utica, Win over Norwich, two over Oswego, and a chance for 2 wins over Skidmore, they're set right now
                        Don't forget their win over geneseo
                        Oswego 22' and 23' Student Section Leader 2022-2024. If you heard a weird or offensive chant during an Oswego Hockey Broadcast during that time... odds are my friend Tim and I started it.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post

                          I thought the at large bids were still straight pairwise this year?
                          My understanding of the minutes is that everything is PWR until further notice. DIII is evaluating a software that will allow each sport's championship committee to create PWR-style rankings that allow for them to choose criteria and how much weight, but it is still exploratory. Maybe I'm being naive but it seems like if adopted they would set the criteria prior to a season as opposed to Tom's implications that the committees plan to change criteria midseason until they get an outcome they like.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post

                            My understanding of the minutes is that everything is PWR until further notice. DIII is evaluating a software that will allow each sport's championship committee to create PWR-style rankings that allow for them to choose criteria and how much weight, but it is still exploratory. Maybe I'm being naive but it seems like if adopted they would set the criteria prior to a season as opposed to Tom's implications that the committees plan to change criteria midseason until they get an outcome they like.
                            Not what I read.

                            The BS committee has free rein to ignore the PW and take the entire process back to the Stone Age, should it want to.

                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-02-2024, 10:03 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

                              D3 makes their own decisions concerning how the D3 tournament is setup. D1 has absolutely nothing to do with it.

                              And like I say a million times, the D3 members are the ones who vote on it. You don't have it like it. I get that attitude. But to blame D1 is flat out ignorant. And to not realize this is what the D3 membership wants and votes on is downright stupid.
                              Damn, you're obtuse. My comments had nothing to do with sports that actually make money.

                              My point was this: if there's no income involved, why move the goalposts?

                              Things were as equitable as they possibly could have been over the past couple of years, but yet again, D-3 has to mess with it.

                              Why..?

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

                                Damn, you're obtuse. My comments had nothing to do with sports that actually make money.

                                My point was this: if there's no income involved, why move the goalposts?

                                Things were as equitable as they possibly could have been over the past couple of years, but yet again, D-3 has to mess with it.

                                Why..?
                                Oh, I agree we shouldn’t abandon the PWR.

                                But that’s not all you were talking about.
                                Russell Jaslow
                                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                                U.S. College Hockey Online

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X