Norwich 2020-2021 - We Will Try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post

Plymouth has a bright future if all continues. This was the best Plymouth team I have watched even with all the obstacles this year. I hope the teams start to play more as well.
    Definitely would be nice to play them more in the future. I see them being a formidable squad in the MASCAC year in and year out. Not sure the NEHC will be looking for any new teams anytime soon unless something crazy happens now that Elmira is added next year to get the league back to 10, but if for some reason an opening came, Plymouth State would seem like a great fit at this point. Already a member on the women's side too...
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post

Plymouth has a bright future if all continues. This was the best Plymouth team I have watched even with all the obstacles this year. I hope the teams start to play more as well.
      Has Plymouth ever won a NCAA tournament game? I honestly don't remember, but I kinda doubt it, at least in the past 20 years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Has Plymouth ever won a NCAA tournament game? I honestly don't remember, but I kinda doubt it, at least in the past 20 years or so.
        Unsure, but I was at the 2012? first round game when they lost 3-1 at home to Wentworth. Winner went to Norwich later that week.
        GO LAKERS!!!
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

No, Plymouth has never won an NCAA game. That's what they're building towards. Imagine it will be easier to recruit once that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

Unsure, but I was at the 2012? first round game when they lost 3-1 at home to Wentworth. Winner went to Norwich later that week.
            2011.... and that was a great drive over..... with GREAT friends....
            Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by MELIN27 View Post
              No, Plymouth has never won an NCAA game. That's what they're building towards. Imagine it will be easier to recruit once that happens.
              I actually knew that, but they still have been gifted a couple of AQ's just the same, and for no good reason.

D-3 has come a very long way via the PWR, but the Plymouth States of the world have just served as cannon-fodder for far too long now. One and done teams from weak conferences shouldn't garner berths simply by dint of winning a weak-sister league, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

I actually knew that, but they still have been gifted a couple of AQ's just the same, and for no good reason.

D-3 has come a very long way via the PWR, but the Plymouth States of the world have just served as cannon-fodder for far too long now. One and done teams from weak conferences shouldn't garner berths simply by dint of winning a weak-sister league, IMO.
                Plymouth State is far from cannon-fodder in its current state. I was very impressed with the Panthers last weekend. They had Norwich on the ropes at times in both of those games last weekend. Both games could have gone either way.
                GO LAKERS!!!
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Doesn’t every NCAA postseason, with the exception of DI FBS football, grant automatic qualifiers to weaker conferences? And isn’t FBS football routinely criticized for having a playoff format that half the times are structurally locked out of?

And it’s funny how the same schools can be on different sides of the equation in different sports since there’s no Big Ten or SEC in DIII. Norwich plays in the NEHC in hockey which means some years it has to hope for an at-large while a weaker conference champ gets an automatic bid. But then when it won the ECFC in football I had to listen to Liberty League fans complain about the ECFC getting an automatic bid.
                  Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                    Doesn’t every NCAA postseason, with the exception of DI FBS football, grant automatic qualifiers to weaker conferences? And isn’t FBS football routinely criticized for having a playoff format that half the times are structurally locked out of?

And it’s funny how the same schools can be on different sides of the equation in different sports since there’s no Big Ten or SEC in DIII. Norwich plays in the NEHC in hockey which means some years it has to hope for an at-large while a weaker conference champ gets an automatic bid. But then when it won the ECFC in football I had to listen to Liberty League fans complain about the ECFC getting an automatic bid.
                    Funny how this is the time of year when any given day you can watch an AQ from a weak conference knock off a better team. How many times has it already happened in the hoops tourney? Winning a league championship comes with a reward, that reward (under the current system) is an AQ. It is what it is. Specific to Norwich and Plymouth, but a different sport, a few years back Norwich football pummeled Plymouth in a preseason exhibition. That year, Norwich went 1-9 in the very competitive NEWMAC, while Plymouth went 9-1 in the MASCAC and made the tourney. Oh well, Norwich did not deserve to be in the tourney that year (obviously), while Plymouth earned their way in.

No system is going to be perfect. I think the current set up is just fine.

One area we agree, Fish, is the conference tourneys. I wish either A: “regular season championships” didn’t exist (just call it the #1 seed if you’re holding a tourney) or B: award the title to the team with the best record during the season and don’t hold a tourney. I hate the term “regular season champion” and I can’t stand seeing two different teams put up a banner for the same league in the same year.

There, that’s my “get off my lawn” for the day haha.

Comment

Another way to look at it is this: how do you encourage parity in D3 overall. Without AQs in weaker conferences you relegate them to perpetual weakness. Recruiting is no easy task for D3 coaches. A few in top programs have their pick of D1 transfers and have junior players and their advisers contacting them. How do other programs, trying to build, compete with that? Whatever you want to say about AQs, they are a recruiting tool and in the right hands they can allow a program to grow and develop which seems to be the case with Plymouth. Too bad 2 successive NCAA tournaments have been scrapped, maybe the cannon fodder could have suprised a few people.

Comment

Season presses on into uncharted territory ... April!
                        Home and home this weekend with NEC
                        .. then April games with Stonehill and Trin-Trin.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                          Season presses on into uncharted territory ... April!
                          Home and home this weekend with NEC
                          .. then April games with Stonehill and Trin-Trin.
                          Wow and here I was thinking the season was over. April hockey sounds good to me!

Comment

[QUOTE=KrbFlint

One area we agree, Fish, is the conference tourneys. I wish either A: “regular season championships” didn’t exist (just call it the #1 seed if you’re holding a tourney) or B: award the title to the team with the best record during the season and don’t hold a tourney. I hate the term “regular season champion” and I can’t stand seeing two different teams put up a banner for the same league in the same year.

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. Clearly, basing an AQ on 18 results makes more sense than basing it on 2-3 results.

It's obvious these silly side-shows are a financial gold-mine for the top D-1 hoops/FB conferences (which is why they exist in the 1st place) but what is to be gained at the level of D-3 hockey..? The whole concept is ridiculous at that level, and unfair, and very likely a money-loser at 90% of the sites.

Asinine, any way you slice it.
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-24-2021, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MELIN27 View Post
                              Another way to look at it is this: how do you encourage parity in D3 overall. Without AQs in weaker conferences you relegate them to perpetual weakness. Recruiting is no easy task for D3 coaches. A few in top programs have their pick of D1 transfers and have junior players and their advisers contacting them. How do other programs, trying to build, compete with that? Whatever you want to say about AQs, they are a recruiting tool and in the right hands they can allow a program to grow and develop which seems to be the case with Plymouth. Too bad 2 successive NCAA tournaments have been scrapped, maybe the cannon fodder could have suprised a few people.
                              Pretty sure that the last two times that Plymouth was gifted a bid, they were (roughly) #43 and #27 in the PWR/KRACH... And they were one and done in both NCAA's. Apparently, getting those berths hasn't done much for recruiting.

We all know how it works: almost nobody aspires to play at the D-3 level; they end-up there because they weren't ever considered D-1 talent, or have washed-out of D-1. There has never been a midget player who went to bed dreaming of putting on a Plymouth sweater. The better players will go where there is actually some local interest, and a shot at a bit of hardware. Plymouth offers neither.

They are the class of a conference that clearly doesn't deserve an AQ, not that any conference does.
                              Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-24-2021, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post

Funny how this is the time of year when any given day you can watch an AQ from a weak conference knock off a better team. How many times has it already happened in the hoops tourney? Winning a league championship comes with a reward, that reward (under the current system) is an AQ. It is what it is. Specific to Norwich and Plymouth, but a different sport, a few years back Norwich football pummeled Plymouth in a preseason exhibition. That year, Norwich went 1-9 in the very competitive NEWMAC, while Plymouth went 9-1 in the MASCAC and made the tourney. Oh well, Norwich did not deserve to be in the tourney that year (obviously), while Plymouth earned their way in.

No system is going to be perfect. I think the current set up is just fine.

I've been watching March Madness and even jumped on my old Fighting Illini bandwagon (that train didn't last long). It's fun and exciting. But I also think it's incredibly unfair and ridiculous. No, I"m not talking about Loyola beating Illinois - that's what the tournament should be. I'm talking about Syracuse (or UCLA) having an incredibly mediocre regular season and then getting hot or getting a bounce and finding itself competing for a national championship.

My ideal world is much like yours - no tournaments, regular season champs from each conference get an AQ, and only champs get an AQ. I can live with a handful of at-large bids who have had a strong season, so I actually think the current DIII system is pretty ideal. DI football fails in that at larges can get in while conference champs are excluded, and half the teams will never get a chance to get in. But, in a way I prefer the exclusivity over basketball's royal rumble.
                                Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Working...
                                X