No announcement yet.

So, How Did The Campus Site Work Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So, How Did The Campus Site Work Out?

I've always said that Dartmouth or UVM would be great options, but it would require a lot of cooperation to get it done. Both facilities have capacities in the 3-4,000 range and are close to multiple DIII schools.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
      I've always said that Dartmouth or UVM would be great options, but it would require a lot of cooperation to get it done. Both facilities have capacities in the 3-4,000 range and are close to multiple DIII schools.
      There are a ton of Eastern D1 rinks that would be perfect, but their conference championships will always create an issue, and likely preclude that possibility.

The Gutt would be great. I also thought Ridder would be great, but that didn’t work out all that well.

r

Comment

I wish they had it in larger cities more often just for the ease of travel. Boston, New York, Philly, Minneapolis, Milwaukee would be great. It's not exactly easy to get to Stevens Point or Oswego or Lake Placid or Lewiston if you're traveling from the other region.
        #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
          I wish they had it in larger cities more often just for the ease of travel. Boston, New York, Philly, Minneapolis, Milwaukee would be great. It's not exactly easy to get to Stevens Point or Oswego or Lake Placid or Lewiston if you're traveling from the other region.
          This.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

The idea of hosting in a city with airports that typically have economical nationwide flights would not only benefit the fans but the NCAA as well. The only logical reason this is not done is the lack of stakeholders willing to undertake the logistics of planning.

Sometimes the most logical and practical solution is the one most difficult to implement
            Larry Normandin
            SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
            WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              This.
              Ridder in the Twin Cities
              Plymouth in Detroit area

But what works out East?
              Agganis? Matthews? Whittemore (200x100)?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Ridder in the Twin Cities
                Plymouth in Detroit area

But what works out East?
                Agganis? Matthews? Whittemore (200x100)?
                I had two ideas, both seem extremely unlikely

The XL Center in Hartford. Trinity could be the host.

Nassau Coliseum is only used part time for hockey these days. The only program close enough to be the host institution would be Manhattanville...

Comment

Agganis or Matthews were my ideas for Boston.

If Messier’s big ice complex in the Bronx ever opens it would be a great venue. Manhattanville could host.

I don’t know about what’s in Philadelphia, but Neumann could host.
                  #OneKnight

Comment

If Messier’s big ice complex in the Bronx ever opens it would be a great venue. Manhattanville could host.
                    The Kingsbridge Armory ice arena project is slated to begin construction sometime this spring or summer, per the release when they secured financing for the project last August.

I've been hoping the project would get Lehman to start ice hockey as a DIII tenant, which in turn could get some other CUNYs involved. There's a rink in Prospect Park not too far from Brooklyn College if they could work out a deal with the Prospect Park Alliance. York is close to World Ice Arena in Flushing (near Citi Field and Arthur Ashe Stadium).

Though Manhattan College (which is in Mount Vernon, NY despite the name) may be a good prospective college hockey tenant as a D1 school.
                    Last edited by Scott_TG; 04-14-2019, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Lehman starting a program would be awesome - they're very conveniently located for the Kingsbridge Armory.

Manhattan College is in Riverdale in the Bronx and only about a 10 minute ride from the armory also. It would be great if they started a D1 program. Go Ice Jaspers

Basically I would really love if college hockey got a foothold in NYC.

Edit: Manhattan College would be a great fit for Atlantic Hockey since they're already in the MAAC and have rivalries with Canisius and Niagara.
                      Last edited by KnightsOfTheRound; 04-14-2019, 09:20 AM.
                      #OneKnight

Comment

Here are a few thoughts I have on the situation. I have been to a number of the DIII Frozen Fours over the years and I liked it being hosted on campus (I am however bias at this point since I live in Stevens Point). The #1 seed has earned the right to host, although the location should still rotate East/West. If their home building doesn't meet min requirements then they should be allowed to host at a nearby site if they can find one. I have attended way to many games with teams playing in empty barns. It was nice to see some of these other rinks but the games suffered from an atmosphere standpoint. While unfortunate, I would prefer a few people being turned away then seeing games played in empty buildings. Students and local communities that have supported teams throughout the years deserve the right to attend the games, not everyone can afford to attend games if they aren't near campus. The host area should also be able to receive the rewards financially instead of some random location.
                        Last edited by Doogity; 04-14-2019, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                          I had two ideas, both seem extremely unlikely

The XL Center in Hartford. Trinity could be the host.

Nassau Coliseum is only used part time for hockey these days. The only program close enough to be the host institution would be Manhattanville...
                          Those arenas are WAYYYYY too big to host the D3 finals site.

XL is a 15000 or 16000 seat arena as is Nassau. That’s way too big. The sweet spot is 3K to 4K in my opinion.
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Agganis or Matthews were my ideas for Boston.

I don’t know about what’s in Philadelphia, but Neumann could host.
                            Class of '23 Arena on on the Penn Campus holds 2,500.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Class of '23 rink is a dump. Not even close amenity wise to host. Hershey Park arena would be good. LVC could host plenty of hotels around and is convenient off of PA turnpike and RT 81.

Comment

Originally posted by capswon View Post
                                Class of '23 rink is a dump. Not even close amenity wise to host. Hershey Park arena would be good. LVC could host plenty of hotels around and is convenient off of PA turnpike and RT 81.
                                Guess its gone downhill since I last saw a game there in 1978.

Is HPA (the old one) 200x85? It seats 7,000+
                                Last edited by joecct; 04-14-2019, 03:54 PM.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X