Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like SUNYAC canceling winter sports

https://twitter.com/d3hoopsville/sta...046708737?s=21

SUNYAC cancels winter sports by the looks.

So what is the difference between D1 athletes and D3? Absolute shame on how the SUNYAC has handled this situation, as this looks like a money grab from the student-athletes.

Comment

https://www.sunyacsports.com/general...20201019lptsbh

Believe me, this is not just a money grab.

Comment

What are you basing your comment on?

Comment

Originally posted by Dalton212 View Post
          So what is the difference between D1 athletes and D3? Absolute shame on how the SUNYAC has handled this situation, as this looks like a money grab from the student-athletes.
          Mainly, the D1 schools can afford all the testing necessary to stay on top of any outbreak.

Look at MLB. There was initially a lot of criticism when early on teams had to cancel numerous games due to outbreaks. However, all the testing and tracing enabled MLB to stay on top of it and not allow it to become a full fledged spread shutting down the entire sport. (As a side note, baseball proved why testing and tracing does slow down the spread and allow for as much of a normal life as possible.)

D1 schools are spending a ton of money on testing. D3 schools can’t afford that.

(I'm also sure there are some politics and liability concerns amongst the SUNYAC schools as well.)
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Mainly, the D1 schools can afford all the testing necessary to stay on top of any outbreak.

Look at MLB. There was initially a lot of criticism when early on teams had to cancel numerous games due to outbreaks. However, all the testing and tracing enabled MLB to stay on top of it and not allow it to become a full fledged spread shutting down the entire sport. (As a side note, baseball proved why testing and tracing does slow down the spread and allow for as much of a normal life as possible.)

D1 schools are spending a ton of money on testing. D3 schools can’t afford that.

(I'm also sure there are some politics and liability concerns amongst the SUNYAC schools as well.)
            But many of these schools have the endowment funds to handle situations such as these. Invest in your current students or else the future becomes bleak. If I were a student athlete at these schools, I’d look elsewhere and not look back. There should be a mass exodus for the foreseeable future at these schools.

Comment

Originally posted by d3hockey57 View Post

But many of these schools have the endowment funds to handle situations such as these. Invest in your current students or else the future becomes bleak. If I were a student athlete at these schools, I’d look elsewhere and not look back. There should be a mass exodus for the foreseeable future at these schools.
              A lot of schools' endowments are already extremely stressed due to Covid--e.g., lower enrollments, expensive testing, new ventilation systems, necessary technology updates, hotel rooms for students in quarantine, and the list goes on. And even before Covid, many schools (including some very wealthy private institutions) had to dip heavily into their endowments due to the significant drop in the number of high school graduates over the last several years. I'd also point out that student-athletes at the DIII level are students first. DIII schools are not going to gamble in terms of health and safety issues to try to save an already-compromised athletics season, especially when there are signs that the public health situation might get much worse this winter. (I'm speaking as someone who has been privy to these discussions.) As we all know, the emphasis at the DI level is very different, as is the amount of money coming into and out of athletics (including money from wealthy alums that schools might lose if they cancel athletics). The difference between DI and DIII athletics is night and day.

Comment

Might get worse??? That is still just speculation, not fact. We don't know. I get them cancelling sports. No I don't like it but I get it, but to use the propaganda machine's tools of "things might get worse this winter" is wrong. It irritates me just as much as the media talking about a "third wave". No there is no third wave there has been one big wave that just like any wave ebbs and flows. Have you seen an ocean wave sit comes and goes, like a wave.
                The Titanic only had one Captain..........
                "You're holding your mouth wrong." Jim Cole
                "Don't take any wooden nickels." Ray Rouse
                9 Time World Champion Boston Red Sox ('03,'12,'15,'16,'18,2004, '07, '13, '18)

Comment

Originally posted by geneseo View Post

A lot of schools' endowments are already extremely stressed due to Covid--e.g., lower enrollments, expensive testing, new ventilation systems, necessary technology updates, hotel rooms for students in quarantine, and the list goes on. And even before Covid, many schools (including some very wealthy private institutions) had to dip heavily into their endowments due to the significant drop in the number of high school graduates over the last several years. I'd also point out that student-athletes at the DIII level are students first. DIII schools are not going to gamble in terms of health and safety issues to try to save an already-compromised athletics season, especially when there are signs that the public health situation might get much worse this winter. (I'm speaking as someone who has been privy to these discussions.) As we all know, the emphasis at the DI level is very different, as is the amount of money coming into and out of athletics (including money from wealthy alums that schools might lose if they cancel athletics). The difference between DI and DIII athletics is night and day.
                  Thank you for saying what I was too lazy to write last night. LOL

Also, I love how people are so willing to tell others with money how they should spend that money...
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by sacole13 View Post
                    Might get worse??? That is still just speculation, not fact. We don't know. I get them cancelling sports. No I don't like it but I get it, but to use the propaganda machine's tools of "things might get worse this winter" is wrong. It irritates me just as much as the media talking about a "third wave". No there is no third wave there has been one big wave that just like any wave ebbs and flows. Have you seen an ocean wave sit comes and goes, like a wave.
                    There are waves in a pandemic (see Spanish Flu as an example). But I agree with you, by the definition of a pandemic wave, this is really the same wave.

It's not just speculation. It's an educated prediction based on various scientific facts (colder weather which viruses prefer and the combination of the normal flu season) and past history (where most deaths by illness occur in the winter). Now, should the SUNYAC make a decision this far ahead? Maybe, maybe not. I would have preferred they left the modified schedule as they originally announced and see what happens in January when training camps would have started up. I don't think any harm would have come from waiting. After all, by now, everybody knows it's a changing scenario all the time, so the expectation of last minute decisions is the norm.
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

Bull****..........all of it....what MAY happen ???????? How about going forward and SEE what happens,these kids worked all there Life's to play college sports now the YAC pulls the plug on them.These kids are the strongest of the strong,this is the "Dumbing down" of this country and we are on a fast and furious downward slop headed into the abiss.Get a set and let the kids play.... and as far as predictions go bull**** as well,what ever happend to the predictions that 1.8-2.2 million were going to die in months,thanks for that University of Washington nice job!!!! Leave the prediction of to the oddsmakers in V egas...p.s. if I hear abundance of caution 1 more time I may kill someone!!!!
                      Last edited by bakdraft21; 10-20-2020, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                        These kids are the strongest of the strong,
                        You really need to understand the concept of "community spread."

14 states now broke records for virus hospitalizations.

It's not a prediction anymore. It's a reality. Based on scientific facts. You know, the kind of stuff most people study when they get a college degree...
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

There are waves in a pandemic (see Spanish Flu as an example). But I agree with you, by the definition of a pandemic wave, this is really the same wave.

It's not just speculation. It's an educated prediction based on various scientific facts (colder weather which viruses prefer and the combination of the normal flu season) and past history (where most deaths by illness occur in the winter). Now, should the SUNYAC make a decision this far ahead? Maybe, maybe not. I would have preferred they left the modified schedule as they originally announced and see what happens in January when training camps would have started up. I don't think any harm would have come from waiting. After all, by now, everybody knows it's a changing scenario all the time, so the expectation of last minute decisions is the norm.
                          I wish they had waited a bit as well. (Just because I was privy to the discussions, doesn't mean I could influence them. My daughter's about to lose her college swim season--after having to swim in a local lake every morning this summer to try to stay in shape--so it's not like I can't identify with the student-athletes.) I think part of acting early was to try to clear up the financial picture a bit for the campuses. There will be significant program cuts ahead, including academic programs, and that means job losses as well. If you wait to the last minute to do this, and don't involve the larger campus in the very difficult decisions that need to be made, you'll likely end up being more draconian and more people will lose their jobs. People's outrage would ultimately be better directed at NYS for its divestiture in SUNY over the last 15-20 years.

Comment

You really need to understand the concept of "community spread."

14 states now broke records for virus hospitalizations.

It's not a prediction anymore. It's a reality. Based on scientific facts. You know, the kind of stuff most people study when they get a college degree...
                            Dont believe everything you read/hear.....at least give it a try as I said b4 the Ol'college try...we are to ready to give up now-a-days,the pussicifaction continues...p.s. my dad is 90 y.o. he stays at home most of the time,smart......these kids staff for the most are not 90.....rationalize all anybody wants but giving up so fast on a season is unfortunate to be nice
                            Last edited by bakdraft21; 10-20-2020, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post

Dont believe everything you read/hear.....at least give it a try as I said b4 the Ol'college try...we are to ready to give up now-a-days,the pussicifaction continues...p.s. my dad is 90 y.o. he stays at home most of the time,smart......these kids staff for the most are not 90.....rationalize all anybody wants but giving up so fast on a season is unfortunate to be nice
                              I do agree they gave up a bit too quickly. Like I wrote earlier, they should have waited till January to see what was going on. Everybody expects last minute decisions these days, so no harm waiting.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                              X