DIII Administrative Committee approves blanket waivers for participation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIII Administrative Committee approves blanket waivers for participation

NCAA has announced that DIII athletes won't have the 20-21 season count towards their eligibility if they only play 50% or less of their seasons/competitions.

How many schools and athletes will take this offer? What impact might it have on DIII hockey?

Originally posted by MELIN27 View Post
    NCAA has announced that DIII athletes won't have the 20-21 season count towards their eligibility if they only play 50% or less of their seasons/competitions.

How many schools and athletes will take this offer? What impact might it have on DIII hockey?
    Just to specify here. The exact wording is if YOUR TEAM plays 50% or less of the Maximum number of allowed competitions, you’d be allowed an extra year.

for hockey it’s 25, so 12 games would be allowed to still have another year.

if you personally played 3 games, but the team played 13...you would not be eligible.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Whole season should be a Mulligan if the team plays less than 1/2 the games for all the rostered players,giv'em a break,most would probably not play that extra year but would be nice to have the option...

Comment

Does this mean the individual conferences will decide if/when they go ahead and how many games will make the season? Also, nothing has been mentioned about NCAA playoffs. Is a decision on that coming after the conferences decide how they'll proceed? And if those games go ahead, will they affect players' eligibility?

As for the players, tough to see many play an additional year considering the costs involved.

Comment

Not trying to pick at the whole money issue, but the cost of college vs. cost of sending your kid to juniors (or heck playing AA/AAA travel minor hockey) isn't too far off if the student can't get a little "help". If you give these players the option to take on an extra year of competitive hockey (especially when they've been with their teammates for several years) you will probably see most of them take that option. My '08 only plays AA out of NY, you should see my bill by the end of the season. I know there are some parents in here who shake their heads and say "heck no" to an additional cost, I mean year, but when it comes down to it if your player wants to play another year you will do what you need to to see them play and enjoy the game one last time. Let's face it, the majority of DIII players will be playing in beer leagues once they graduate. The opportunity to play one more year of competitive hockey....no brainer!

The issue you are going to see is state to state. Currently in NYS we can only have clinics of 10 people (coach included). No parents allowed in the rink. Have to get dressed outside. 2 people per locker room. No games. No practice.

But then I am taking my son to a clinic in Indiana. Parents are allowed in. Camps are larger. They are having games. Parents can watch.

Our summer league had the first tournament canceled in Boston already. The rink wasn't allowed to open for tournaments. Our winter team has pretty much decided that all of our tournaments will be out of state, but then Tennessee became a quarantine state for us NY'ers, so Nashville was out. We were planning on Tampa Bay for our Thanksgiving tournament, but thats canceled now.

So if KIng Cuomo says no SUNYAC winter sports, does the NCHA still play? SUNYAC already announced no overnight trips for what would be fall sports. They even made East/West divisions. You think Plattsburgh is going to travel to Fredonia for one game and come home? We already see how the NESCAC is handling things.

So how do we expect the NCAA to have any sort of plan? IMO we get rid of conference affiliation this year. Draw yourself a 4-6 hour radius around your school and that's who you play. Consider it our DIII Bubble. Teams/ Schools/ States that can play...play. Those who can't, don't. Players can still play. I still don't think you will see sports, but I can guarantee it won't look the same if we do.
          Remy Babineaux
          remyb616@gmail.com
          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

It really appears to me that no college hockey at all will be played this season, and I'd put the odds at (IDK) 10-1 or so. Maybe longer.

Comment

In terms of cost, it will likely depend on where the players are from. American players are used to paying big $ to play competitive hockey so an extra year of college might not seem much in comparison. For teams with non-American players, the cost is a factor. Even with significant academic scholarships the cost of a DIII school is a lot for most families. We are Canadian. My kid did not pay to play Jr. A. ( probably the last able to say that). Another year of DIII is not chump change for us. It's a consideration.

Comment

Working...
              X