Norwich 2018-19 Season Thread: The Ellsworth Era begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bog Hockey View Post
    Young Flint, have you observed any practices or collected any intel? Any of the recruits particularly impressive? What can you tell us?
    Here’s what I can tell you...

Coach Ellsworth has connected with the campus community, as a whole, in a way I haven’t seen. In no way is this a slight against Coach McShane, but the men’s hockey program has been somewhat “isolated” (for lack of a better term). Cam has been a regular at many of the fall sports games, practices, etc. He’s also been visible on the academic side and even the CORPS ACTIVITIES! I know he’s already built bridges throughout the athletic department, and formed relationships with other coaches and programs. Right, wrong, or indifferent, this hasn’t been the case in recent years. I think this might lead to improved attendance among the student population.

I’ve heard from players, freshmen and upperclassmen, who are energized and say they’re learning new things. They’ve been very happy with Cam’s systems and teaching style. Again, none had anything negative to say about Coach McShane; they just hoped for a great hire and they’ve been very pleased thus far.

For years, the men’s and women’s programs were very separate entities, but they’ve recently done some cross-training among programs for a block of time between their respective ice times, which is new.

Aside from all of this, Coach Ellsworth is just an extremely humble, smart, gregarious guy who I think will pull the very best from his players. He loves Norwich and is fully bought in to the vision and the mission. I really think Norwich knocked this one out of the park.

I want to stress that in no way is anything I’m saying a negative toward Coach McShane. He is a great man who was a great coach for our school and put our hockey program on the map. Different leaders have different styles, and I think Cam’s - while different - can be just as successful as we’ve gotten accustomed to.

Comment

Re: Norwich 2018-19 Season Thread: The Ellsworth Era begins

All of that's awesome to hear. But, as a now somewhat-recent alumn, the part about him building bridges is especially great to here. You're right in saying the hockey program was isolated. The fact that Coach Ellsworth is making the effort to connect with the rest of the school is great - particularly the Corps as the Corps is the heart and soul of Norwich.

Elsewhere, the Norwich Hockey facebook page posted a video and I've probably watched it 20 times now. If you weren't ready for the season, you will be after watching this: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...d=164858203316
      Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
        All of that's awesome to hear. But, as a now somewhat-recent alumn, the part about him building bridges is especially great to here. You're right in saying the hockey program was isolated. The fact that Coach Ellsworth is making the effort to connect with the rest of the school is great - particularly the Corps as the Corps is the heart and soul of Norwich.

Elsewhere, the Norwich Hockey facebook page posted a video and I've probably watched it 20 times now. If you weren't ready for the season, you will be after watching this: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...d=164858203316
        Good vid, I dig the new darks...hopefully they replace the camos w/ similar whites.

r

Comment

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
          Here’s what I can tell you...

Coach Ellsworth has connected with the campus community, as a whole, in a way I haven’t seen. In no way is this a slight against Coach McShane, but the men’s hockey program has been somewhat “isolated” (for lack of a better term). Cam has been a regular at many of the fall sports games, practices, etc. He’s also been visible on the academic side and even the CORPS ACTIVITIES! I know he’s already built bridges throughout the athletic department, and formed relationships with other coaches and programs. Right, wrong, or indifferent, this hasn’t been the case in recent years. I think this might lead to improved attendance among the student population.

I’ve heard from players, freshmen and upperclassmen, who are energized and say they’re learning new things. They’ve been very happy with Cam’s systems and teaching style. Again, none had anything negative to say about Coach McShane; they just hoped for a great hire and they’ve been very pleased thus far.

For years, the men’s and women’s programs were very separate entities, but they’ve recently done some cross-training among programs for a block of time between their respective ice times, which is new.

Aside from all of this, Coach Ellsworth is just an extremely humble, smart, gregarious guy who I think will pull the very best from his players. He loves Norwich and is fully bought in to the vision and the mission. I really think Norwich knocked this one out of the park.

I want to stress that in no way is anything I’m saying a negative toward Coach McShane. He is a great man who was a great coach for our school and put our hockey program on the map. Different leaders have different styles, and I think Cam’s - while different - can be just as successful as we’ve gotten accustomed to.
          Sounds very positive - appreciate the insight. Have you made it to the Arena in the last few weeks, and can you comment on the recruits?

Comment

Sounds very positive - appreciate the insight. Have you made it to the Arena in the last few weeks, and can you comment on the recruits?
            I haven’t seen enough to comment on any individuals. I’m hearing a LOT of positive feedback on the freshmen as a whole

Comment

Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
              I am getting excited about this weekends games, will they be broadcast on NSN and WDEV? When are we going to see a roster on the Norwich website? I know, a lot of questions but inquiring minds want to know!
              Go Norwich. Welcome to Coach Ellsworth.
              Found the roster on the NEHC website: http://nehockeyconference.com/men/nrw/roster19.php

Comment

So those that were there, how was the game?

Comment

Saturday Night Final ... Norwich 5 SUNY Canton 0
                  Scoring
                  First Period
                  2:04 Norwich Maxime Borduas (Coby Downs, Jordan Hall)
                  4:00 Norwich Brett Ouderkirk (Ryan Boucher)
                  12:46 Norwich Maxime Borduas (T.J. Dockery) (5x3 PP)

Second Period
                  18:14 Norwich Jordan Hall (Coby Downs, Kale Kane) (pp)

Third Period
                  16:05 Norwich Coby Downs (Maxime Borduas, Gabriel Chicoine)

Shots
                  Canton 7 5 5 17
                  Norwich 16 11 14 41

Goaltenders
                  Tom Aubrun - 2 periods - 12 saves
                  Ben Nelson - 1 period 5 saves

Comment

Vertentes, Jackson, Thompson, Korol, Swanson, Cronin and Mercer did not play. Expect they will tomorrow.

Norwich had a great first period ... Canton may have had a case of bus legs as they picked it up and played way better in the second ... Cadets, as they often do, wore them down in the third.

Borduas and Ouderkirk very impressive ... Downs was his usual self ... Chicoine is really good.

One bad note ... Erickson was blasted into the boards on a hit from behind in the second ... looked wobley coming off and did not return.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                      Vertentes, Jackson, Thompson, Korol, Swanson, Cronin and Mercer did not play. Expect they will tomorrow.

Norwich had a great first period ... Canton may have had a case of bus legs as they picked it up and played way better in the second ... Cadets, as they often do, wore them down in the third.

Borduas and Ouderkirk very impressive ... Downs was his usual self ... Chicoine is really good.

One bad note ... Erickson was blasted into the boards on a hit from behind in the second ... looked wobley coming off and did not return.
                      Thanks for the report, PuckVoice. Good to see the freshmen contributing early on. On that roster that Norwich59 shared I counted 2 seniors, 10 juniors, 9 sophomores, and 8 freshmen. So with over half the team being underclassmen that opportunity is definitely there for them.
                      Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                        Saturday Night Final ... Norwich 5 SUNY Canton 0
                        Scoring
                        First Period
                        2:04 Norwich Maxime Borduas (Coby Downs, Jordan Hall)
                        4:00 Norwich Brett Ouderkirk (Ryan Boucher)
                        12:46 Norwich Maxime Borduas (T.J. Dockery) (5x3 PP)

Second Period
                        18:14 Norwich Jordan Hall (Coby Downs, Kale Kane) (pp)

Third Period
                        16:05 Norwich Coby Downs (Maxime Borduas, Gabriel Chicoine)

Shots
                        Canton 7 5 5 17
                        Norwich 16 11 14 41

Goaltenders
                        Tom Aubrun - 2 periods - 12 saves
                        Ben Nelson - 1 period 5 saves
                        George is going to put me out of a job! Well done.
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                          Thanks for the report, PuckVoice. Good to see the freshmen contributing early on. On that roster that Norwich59 shared I counted 2 seniors, 10 juniors, 9 sophomores, and 8 freshmen. So with over half the team being underclassmen that opportunity is definitely there for them.
                          These stats right here are the telling ones. If Norwich has a really good year this year....watch out next year.
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

During the McShane era, it seems like this kind of class imbalance happened all the time. The big classes matured together and then were supplemented by a few freshman. Then the bubble of freshmen would graduate, and the cycle would reset
                            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
                              I haven’t seen enough to comment on any individuals. I’m hearing a LOT of positive feedback on the freshmen as a whole
                              Did you watch any of the exhibition games? If so, what are your initial thoughts?

Comment

Did you watch any of the exhibition games? If so, what are your initial thoughts?
                                I was not able to watch. Will be watching Saturday night vs. Endicott though!

I heard the freshmen acquitted themselves well, particularly #26.

Comment

Working...
                                X