• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• norm1909
    replied
    Re: Mike Leone

Originally posted by cooperalls View Post
    Apparently this may shed some light. Also be aware that this artcile originally went to print with the word scholarship in place of the grant and 48 hours later the word grant was added in for scholarship.

http://www.squamishchief.com/article...national-title

ACHA teams are not allowed to give athletic scholarships but something stinks if this kid is transferring from an NCAA school to an ACHA/NAIA school!
    Note, from the: American Collegiate Hockey Association 2008-2009 Manual

Section 7 Financial Aid
    A. Student-athletes may receive only financial aid which has been properly channeled through the college/university financial aid office or other college/university office. Financial aid shall be awarded on a need basis only as determined by the United States Department of Education Standards for Financial Assistance Program formula as applied to each institution.

B. Additionally, student athletes may not receive financial aid or monetary
    disbursement of any kind
    from the ACHA program he/she represents nor from any booster club or sponsor affiliated with the ACHA hockey program.

C. Failure to adhere to the financial aid policy will result in immediate suspension of membership benefits in the ACHA for a one year period. The Board of Directors
    will review and act upon requests for reinstatement.
    Last edited by norm1909; 08-27-2009, 03:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cooperalls
    replied

Apparently this may shed some light. Also be aware that this artcile originally went to print with the word scholarship in place of the grant and 48 hours later the word grant was added in for scholarship.

http://www.squamishchief.com/article...national-title

ACHA teams are not allowed to give athletic scholarships but something stinks if this kid is transferring from an NCAA school to an ACHA/NAIA school!

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
    NAIA doesn't conduct ice hockey anymore, so lindenwood's hockey team could only be ACHA. And, as far as I know, ACHA teams (being club teams) cannot offer scholarships. Yes, some schools like Lindenwood and SUNY Canton, who used to be NAIA, still treat their ACHA teams like a varsity squad, but my understanding was that they still can't offer scholarships.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

As an aside, I was looking at Lindenwood's athletic page, and they sponsor 20 NAIA sports (11 men, 9 women) and 17 non-NAIA sports (inluding Roller Hockey!). With a total of 37 sports, that's a lot of student-athletes. Can't be many non-athletes on campus.
    EDIT: I checked Lindenwood's enrollment, and they enroll more than 14,000 students. And They have 44 "Varsity" teams, not 37.

Leave a comment:

• norm1909
    replied

I guess I should have been more specific. The 14,500 was both grads and undergrads. First year grad students who haven't used all 4 years of athletic eligibility, and aren't beyond the 5-year time limit COULD theoretically play, am I correct?
    Yes, they (grad students) could have eligibility left.

Note:
    We offer more than 120 undergraduate and graduate degree programs to approximately 14,500 students through values-centered programs

Leave a comment:

• CARDS_rule_the_Burgh
    replied

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
    Note also on their student body:
    I guess I should have been more specific. The 14,500 was both grads and undergrads. First year grad students who haven't used all 4 years of athletic eligibility, and aren't beyond the 5-year time limit COULD theoretically play, am I correct?

Leave a comment:

• norm1909
    replied

NAIA doesn't conduct ice hockey anymore, so lindenwood's hockey team could only be ACHA. And, as far as I know, ACHA teams (being club teams) cannot offer scholarships. Yes, some schools like Lindenwood and SUNY Canton, who used to be NAIA, still treat their ACHA teams like a varsity squad, but my understanding was that they still can't offer scholarships.

As an aside, I was looking at Lindenwood's athletic page, and they sponsor 20 NAIA sports (11 men, 9 women) and 17 non-NAIA sports (inluding Roller Hockey!). With a total of 37 sports, that's a lot of student-athletes. Can't be many non-athletes on campus.
    EDIT: I checked Lindenwood's enrollment, and they enroll more than 14,000 students. And They have 44 "Varsity" teams, not 37.
    According to this Peterson's site, as you noted, they do NOT offer ice hockey scholarships. Though they do in field hockey, which might cause some confusion.

Note also on their student body:
    Undergraduate Student Population
    6,343 undergraduate students, 56% women, 44% men, 8% transferred in, 11% African American, 0.7% Asian American or Pacific Islander, 2% Hispanic American, 0.3% Native American
    also

Costs (2008-09)
    Comprehensive Costs: $19,500 includes full-time tuition ($12,700), mandatory fees ($300), and room and board ($6500). Full-time tuition and fees vary according to program. Part-time tuition: $360 per credit hour. Part-time tuition and fees vary according to course load
    Room and board: College room only: $3400
    Payment plans: Installment, deferred payment
    Waivers: Senior citizens
    Last edited by norm1909; 08-27-2009, 12:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CARDS_rule_the_Burgh
    replied

Originally posted by hockey247 View Post
    Finally, I have heard that since Lindenwood is not an NCAA school (being NINA or something like that) they give athletic scholarships.

Last edited by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh; 08-27-2009, 12:31 PM. Reason: see above

Leave a comment:

• NorthernLite
    replied

Personal issues more often than not drive players' decisions to make changes and I'm sure Mike is is no exception.

It was all too brief a stop at Adrian...he was fun to watch.
    Hopefully things will work out for him at his new school and with his new team.

Leave a comment:

• hockey247
    replied

Leone is very talented. I am not sure why he left Utica, since they had a legit chance to get into the tournament last year. I know you mentioned it before that distance and family issues could have been the case; to go to Adrian, back in his home state.

Remember that Leone did live in St. Louis (playing for the Bandits NAHL), where Lindenwood is. Who knows if he just liked the city/ area. Utica and Adrian don't have a lot of anything in the cities. Where St. Louis has a ton. Lindenwood also has a handful of good players who are border line D1 guys who could easily be playing D3. Who knows the kid might have a girlfriend in St. Louis.

Finally, I have heard that since Lindenwood is not an NCAA school (being NINA or something like that) they give athletic scholarships. He might be going from paying anywhere from $20-30 grand a year to nothing or under $10 grad. It makes a huge difference; especially since the kid is from Michigan and we all know that economy is struggling.

Leave a comment:

• ballgame
    replied

Lindenwood is no joke. They are good with a strong history.

Leave a comment:

• bayliner2555
    replied

Being 1 1/2 hours from home at Adrian instead of 8 hours from home at Utica could have something to do with his choice. Also, the opportunity to play on a national championship contending team could be very appealing.

Leave a comment:

• Pioneers#1
    replied

Head Coach of Utica College,Gary Heenen said he was one of the best UC has seen in a while and i heard this guy was the real deal too.I heard it was a mix of Money and family issues why he left Utica in the first place.I don't know what happend with him after he left Utica.

Leave a comment:

• MN Cyclone
    started a topic Mike Leone

Mike Leone

Whats the deal with Mike Leone?

Starts season at Utica centering first line, transfers over break to Adrian continue to play well and now ACHA Nation Champion Lindenwood is claiming he will be playing there this year.

Whats the deal with the trasfers? And is he really going from NCAA DIII favorite to ACHA favorite?
Working...
X