Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCHA Playoff Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NCHA Playoff Thread

    Preseason Poll

    1. St. Norbert: 96 points, 6 first-place votes
    2. Adrian: 95, 5 first-place votes
    3. St. Scholastica: 79
    4. Marian: 72
    5. Concordia: 58
    T6. Lawrence: 50
    T6. MSOE: 50
    8. Lake Forest: 45
    9. Northland: 29
    10. Aurora: 19
    11. Finlandia: 12


    Regular Season Final Standings

    # Team Pts W L T GF GA Overall Change In Position
    1. Adrian 34 17-3-0 99 - 39 18-5-2 +1
    2. St. Norbert 29 15-4-1 78 - 31 19-5-1 -1
    3. Marian 25 12-7-1 64 - 56 14-9-2 +1
    4. Lake Forest 24 12-8-0 70 - 57 16-9-0 +4
    5. MSOE 22 9-7-4 59 - 56 12-8-5 +1
    6. St. Scholastica 21 10-9-1 69 - 66 12-12-1 -3
    7. Concordia 21 10-9-1 56 - 60 13-11-1 -2
    8. Northland 19 9-10-1 69 - 72 11-12-2 +1
    9. Lawrence 13 5-12-3 49 - 61 6-16-3 -3
    10. Aurora 10 4-14-2 38 - 79 4-19-2 0
    11. Finlandia 0 0-20-0 25 - 99 0-25-0 0


    Playoff Series Matchups
    North
    #1 St. Norbert
    #2 St. Scholastica vs. #3 Northland

    South
    #1 Adrian
    #2 Marian vs. #3 Lake Forest
    Last edited by d3hockey57; 02-18-2017, 10:22 PM.

  • #2
    Re: NCHA Playoff Thread

    Adrian is the clear favorite heading into the playoffs. SNC better win its semifinal game to - hopefully - secure a NCAA bid.
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: NCHA Playoff Thread

      Adrian seems to be peaking at the right time. It's going to be tough for anybody to beat them at the Arrington.

      It's tough to see MSOE get left out of the playoffs in favor of an 8th place Northland team. The top 3 teams from each division thing really only makes sense if you play more games in the division than out of the division. When everybody plays the exact same schedule they should take the top 6 teams.

      I'm hoping with the addition of Trine next year they move to a play everybody in your division twice plus 2 games against 4 teams from the opposite division schedule. Or two in division and one out of division.
      5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
      2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: NCHA Playoff Thread

        Let's be honest. The only reason for the divisions for the playoffs is so that Adrian doesn't have to play Scholastica on a Wednesday night. It's all about minimizing travel and nothing to do with fairness.
        Last edited by GB Puck Fan; 02-19-2017, 04:53 PM.
        St. Norbert College Green Knights
        NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
        NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19
        NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
        ---
        SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: NCHA Playoff Thread

          Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
          Let's be honest. The only reason for the divisions for the playoffs is that Adrian doesn't have to play Scholastica on a Wednesday night. It's all about minimizing travel and nothing to do with fairness.
          The solution to that - don't play on Wednesday. Seems like hockey playoffs are becoming more and more like basketball playoffs
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: NCHA Playoff Thread

            Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post
            Adrian seems to be peaking at the right time. It's going to be tough for anybody to beat them at the Arrington.

            It's tough to see MSOE get left out of the playoffs in favor of an 8th place Northland team. The top 3 teams from each division thing really only makes sense if you play more games in the division than out of the division. When everybody plays the exact same schedule they should take the top 6 teams.

            I'm hoping with the addition of Trine next year they move to a play everybody in your division twice plus 2 games against 4 teams from the opposite division schedule. Or two in division and one out of division.
            Have there been any announcements on how the addition of Trine will affect the division makeup (they are not playoff eligible until the 18-19 season)? Schedule? 22 conference games? 16 conference games (which leaves 9 out-of-conference games which might help the WIAC fill their schedule)? Will Marian be placed in the North Division? Out of division single game paired travel: Adrian-Trine, Lake Forest-Aurora, MSOE-Concordia, Northland-St. Scholastica, Lawrence-Marian-St. Norbert, and Finlandia?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: NCHA Playoff Thread

              I had read somewhere that they are cutting back to 18 conference games. That lends itself to a 5 x 2 in division plus 4 x 2 out of division (with zero games against two out of division opponents). Marian joining the North makes sense geographically and would help the competitive balance between the two divisions (the South is clearly much more competitive at the moment).
              5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
              2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: NCHA Playoff Thread

                Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post
                I had read somewhere that they are cutting back to 18 conference games. That lends itself to a 5 x 2 in division plus 4 x 2 out of division (with zero games against two out of division opponents). Marian joining the North makes sense geographically and would help the competitive balance between the two divisions (the South is clearly much more competitive at the moment).
                I guess with your travel distances, something like 5 X 2, and 4 X 1 and 2 X 2 wouldn't work. You don't have enough teams close together to do a travel partner weekend like we do in the east.
                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                  I guess with your travel distances, something like 5 X 2, and 4 X 1 and 2 X 2 wouldn't work. You don't have enough teams close together to do a travel partner weekend like we do in the east.
                  This is just wrong. You'll likely see Adrian-Trine, Aurora-Lake Forest, MSOE-CUW, Marian-Lawrence, CSS-Northland and SNC-Finlandia as travel partners. The only long hop is SNC-FU.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: NCHA Playoff Thread

                    Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
                    This is just wrong. You'll likely see Adrian-Trine, Aurora-Lake Forest, MSOE-CUW, Marian-Lawrence, CSS-Northland and SNC-Finlandia as travel partners. The only long hop is SNC-FU.
                    My knowledge of your geography is limited, but this would mean that you could schedule weekends at travel partner sites to make it possible for every team in league to play every team at least once. That just seems more balanced.
                    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                      My knowledge of your geography is limited, but this would mean that you could schedule weekends at travel partner sites to make it possible for every team in league to play every team at least once. That just seems more balanced.
                      But you just said the NCHA doesn't have enough teams close together to use travel partners...and now you claim knowledge of geography out here is limited. Which is it?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
                        But you just said the NCHA doesn't have enough teams close together to use travel partners...and now you claim knowledge of geography out here is limited. Which is it?
                        As Carol Baker once said, "It's a big country."
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                        ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

                        Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                        I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: NCHA Playoff Thread

                          Duh, clearly Adrian and Finlandia would be travel partners. They are the only two D3 programs in the state of Michigan after all...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: NCHA Playoff Thread

                            Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            As Carol Baker once said, "It's a big country."
                            That's why Rand McNally makes atlases. Crack one open once in a while.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: NCHA Playoff Thread

                              Originally posted by altazo View Post
                              Duh, clearly Adrian and Finlandia would be travel partners. They are the only two D3 programs in the state of Michigan after all...
                              I believe that is the Sarcasm Alarm I hear in the background.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X