SUNY Canton Conference affiliation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUNY Canton Conference affiliation?

Apparently (I didn't go to the game) there was a rumor going around that SUNY Canton was denied entry into the SUNYAC conference. I find that hard to believe since the SUNY teams are still required / encouraged to schedule them. Does anyone have definitive word on what their schedule is into full Div III membership and if/when they'll join the SUNY conference?
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Re: SUNY Canton Conference affiliation?

Originally posted by spwood View Post
    Apparently (I didn't go to the game) there was a rumor going around that SUNY Canton was denied entry into the SUNYAC conference. I find that hard to believe since the SUNY teams are still required / encouraged to schedule them. Does anyone have definitive word on what their schedule is into full Div III membership and if/when they'll join the SUNY conference?
    I little birdie told me that is correct.

But the same birdie did not tell me anything about Canton's future moves.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      I little birdie told me that is correct.

But the same birdie did not tell me anything about Canton's future moves.
      I'm pretty sure that next year or the year after they are full D3.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
        I'm pretty sure that next year or the year after they are full D3.
        Yes, but I thought spwood was wondering what Canton will do in regards to conference affiliation now that the SUNYAC has rejected them. But I see he was asking their D3 status.
        Russell Jaslow

Comment

I believe Canton has been looking at some alternative options as well outside of SUNYAC. Might know more later this year.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Any idea as to why they were rejected? How does it benefit the SUNYAC to not have them? They're a SUNY, geographically their closest competitors are SUNYs (Potsdam and Plattsburgh) and the bylaws would force them into a SUNYAC women's hockey conference and keep the ECAC West autobid if Canton is a member and they can get one more SUNYAC school to start a women's team (looking at Geneseo, Fredonia and Brockport).

Looking at things on the outside, rejecting Canton makes little sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
              Any idea as to why they were rejected? How does it benefit the SUNYAC to not have them? They're a SUNY, geographically their closest competitors are SUNYs (Potsdam and Plattsburgh) and the bylaws would force them into a SUNYAC women's hockey conference and keep the ECAC West autobid if Canton is a member and they can get one more SUNYAC school to start a women's team (looking at Geneseo, Fredonia and Brockport).

Looking at things on the outside, rejecting Canton makes little sense.
              Yes, but I can't say.

And I agree.

(BTW, if you count Canton and Morrisville, there are seven SUNY schools with women's hockey.)
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

they can get one more SUNYAC school to start a women's team (looking at Geneseo, Fredonia and Brockport).
                Speaking of Brockport, of the schools you mentioned, one would think Brockport would have the easiest case to justify starting a women's team based on Title IX because Brockport has football and wrestling.

Granted, Brockport has four women's only sports (field hockey, gymnastics, tennis, and volleyball), and apparently that has been enough to offset the three men's only sports (football, wrestling, ice hockey). But, one does wonder how those numbers really work out.

[This of course does not take into consideration of the budget, which is certainly not a consideration to be taken lightly.]
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Yes, but I can't say.

And I agree.

(BTW, if you count Canton and Morrisville, there are seven SUNY schools with women's hockey.)
                  There's nothing you can share that won't doxx your source? Is it a viability concern? Someone didn't shake hands the right way in a meeting?

Last bylaws I read [granted probably out of date by now] they have to offer a championship if 60% of full members compete in a sport, but since Canton and Morrisville aren't full SUNYAC members they don't count for that.
                  Last edited by Scott_TG; 10-31-2016, 02:28 PM.

Comment

There's nothing you can share that won't doxx your source? Is it a viability concern? Someone didn't shake hands the right way in a meeting?
                    Not yet. At least not in writing.

Last bylaws I read [granted probably out of date by now] they have to offer a championship if 60% of full members compete in a sport, but since Canton and Morrisville aren't full SUNYAC members they don't count for that.
                    I know. I was just stating an interesting fact...

I don't know where you saw the 60% rule. I've never seen it. All I have ever seen in the past was six teams is the minimum to sponsor a sport, but that was before the current D3 rule was enacted. I was told the conference upped the minimum to seven, for obvious reasons. You don't want to force teams to be in a conference without an AQ.
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

I don't know where you saw the 60% rule. I've never seen it. All I have ever seen in the past was six teams is the minimum to sponsor a sport, but that was before the current D3 rule was enacted. I was told the conference upped the minimum to seven, for obvious reasons. You don't want to force teams to be in a conference without an AQ.
                      From Article II of the 2012-13 SUNYAC Handbook (back when they posted it on the public internet), though re-reading it, the language says "may be designated" when my memory thought the language was "must be designated"

Article II - Sports Competition

Section 1.
                      All sponsored competition shall function under the administrative control provided
                      by the Constitution, Bylaws and Operating Codes of the Conference.

Section 2.
                      A sport may be designated for Conference competition when at least 60% of the
                      member institutions sponsor teams in that sport. Any Championship presently
                      conducted that receives an automatic NCAA Qualifying Bid will be maintained
                      regardless of the number of institutions, which sponsor the sport. However, in the
                      event of extenuating circumstances in any particular sport, above may be waived by
                      consent of the IVR.

When creating a new varsity sport or elevating a club sport to varsity status, an
                      institution may elect to waive their participation in Conference or tournament type
                      competition for a maximum of three academic years. The institution must notify the
                      Conference by the May Annual Meeting of the academic year prior to entering
                      Conference competition. In individual type sport competition the team can
                      participate in the Conference Championship the first year of competition, if the
                      institution so desires.

Comment

Working...
                      X