Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
    NU Past Time, my post about the SOS was not intended for those of us who acknowledged that yes it was lower than other teams. And it was a legit concern, but it did not stop the Cadets. No offense intended. However... our strength of schedule would have been much higher had we played Oswego at Norwich's tournament. As it turned out in the final 12, we won against ranked Plattsburgh and tied ranked Endicott during the regular season.

I was very excited to have Endicott make the tournament (though losing in OT vs Trinity in the Quarter finals). Norwich played them in their first game of the season and they were impressive! I like the idea that a new program did as well as they did and I followed their schedule to see how they were doing. They had a great season and I thought they were on par with the rest of the DIV III leaders (still do). I was hoping we would play them in the finals. It would have been an awesome game and story line of playing each other in the first game of the season and the last!
    Would have been a really cool way for the season to go if Endicott had beaten Trinity (and they gave them a scare, for sure), and gone on to play NU for the whole ball of wax in the finals - would have been a way to bookend the season. Gotta be impressed with what they accomplished.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
      NU Past Time, my post about the SOS was not intended for those of us who acknowledged that yes it was lower than other teams. And it was a legit concern, but it did not stop the Cadets. No offense intended. However... our strength of schedule would have been much higher had we played Oswego at Norwich's tournament. As it turned out in the final 12, we won against ranked Plattsburgh and tied ranked Endicott during the regular season.

I was very excited to have Endicott make the tournament (though losing in OT vs Trinity in the Quarter finals). Norwich played them in their first game of the season and they were impressive! I like the idea that a new program did as well as they did and I followed their schedule to see how they were doing. They had a great season and I thought they were on par with the rest of the DIV III leaders (still do). I was hoping we would play them in the finals. It would have been an awesome game and story line of playing each other in the first game of the season and the last!
      Wasn't referencing anyone specifically. I think the hysteria by some fans last year was ridiculous, and said so at the time, so I understand some of the frustration. I also think it's completely legitimate to bring up some possible weaknesses of a team throughout the year, especially when it generates discussion on the forum.

With that said, I think most of the regular Norwich posters here display a good amount of optimism/passion/support along with a general hockey knowledge that allows critique and discussion, mixed with with a good dose of humility. Makes it a good board to come to.
      Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

What can ya say they ran the table......Congrats to all of Norwichland

Comment

Unfortunately, you can only play the teams on your schedule. When you plan a tournament around matchups in the finals that don't happen, that's the way it is. So proud of the accomplishments of this group. A SOS that is not up to snuff can be blamed any of several factors - 1. Bad scheduling (not so much here - the only discretionary games were the teams invited to the NSB tournament (Nazareth, Oswego, and Williams), and the season opener (Endicott). Beyond that, there were 18 NEHC games, games against Midd and Platty, and the PrimeLink. Nobody was being ducked - Oswego ducked Norwich by losing in the first round of the NSB while NU won. When you play 18 conference games, a traditional tournament, your own tournament (to which quality teams were invited), and two traditional opponents (Middlebury and Plattsburg), you end up only having control over the season opener, and the teams that you invite to your own tournament. The schedule is what it is.
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
            Wasn't referencing anyone specifically. I think the hysteria by some fans last year was ridiculous, and said so at the time, so I understand some of the frustration. I also think it's completely legitimate to bring up some possible weaknesses of a team throughout the year, especially when it generates discussion on the forum.

With that said, I think most of the regular Norwich posters here display a good amount of optimism/passion/support along with a general hockey knowledge that allows critique and discussion, mixed with with a good dose of humility. Makes it a good board to come to.
            Agree totally, I enjoy following the cadets this way and learn new things from 90% of the posters. The other 10%.... not so much!
            There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

Nice clip on WPTZ sport just a few moments ago. Congrats again !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

• Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
                Anyone who follows this board should know exactly why I post the snarky posts that I do...

I was angry last offseason when a bunch of Norwich "fans" made knee jerk posts about the status of the program and whined about the "decline" and even stated that we'd been "passed by" by UMB, Babson, etc. I said they were wrong then, and they obviously were.

I was angry when I posted that the Cadets would land a good freshman class and return to form and I was questioned and ridiculed. I said then that I knew what I was talking about, and I obviously did/do.

I was angry mid-season when, using my eyes (not stats, not opponents' records) I said that this team was very good and legit. My opinion was mocked and a jabroni argued with me endlessly because he thinks his opinions (while valuable) are the only accurate ones (spoiler: they aren't).

I was angry at our own fans whining about not receiving a bye, and I was angry when a blowhard Oswego fan insinuated that Norwich was "scared" to play them.

I'm angry that some Norwich "fans" came on here to post last year about how the dynasty was over but haven't posted once this season.

I consider this championship a big, fat middle finger to those who doubted Norwich one year ago. For that reason, it might be the sweetest one yet. I hope all the actual Cadet fans enjoy the hell out of this.
                Once again you are spot on. I guess the reason I don't read the between season dialogue on USCHO's fan forum is because it is full of such...dare I say it...Fake News. And one thing that really bugs me is all the chatter about what kid is committed to which school. I once had a few moments to chat with Mike McShane. And I happen to mention a new NU goalie candidate who had a particularly strong record on his old team. He smiled and replied,"They all arrive with great credentials." That goalie didn't make it.

So I guess the only thing you might have left out of you critic of the NU nay sayer was last summers unsubstantiated "rumor" from an "unnamed source" that NU's AD Mariano had a summer long search to replace McShane after the 2016 season (I just made that up),

You know McShane, he's the chap who just earned his fifth DIII Coach of Year Award to put next to the ones I believe he earned in DI. Carry on KRBFLINT03---i like your style.
                Last edited by Old Rook NU'66; 03-26-2017, 11:55 PM.
                Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
                Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

What a weekend! Anyone else upset that we don't get to watch this team play anymore?

Loved watching their final games and the whole team from the amazing seniors down to the peppy freshman worked as a unit, a true Championship squad!

Proud of them but dang, I'd kill for even a few more games.

Comment

Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post

I was angry when I posted that the Cadets would land a good freshman class and return to form and I was questioned and ridiculed. I said then that I knew what I was talking about, and I obviously did/do.
                    With all of the attention being paid towards the 10 seniors (and rightfully so), it hasn't been mentioned how great some of our freshmen played this weekend and the importance of this point by KRB. Erickson and Jackson particularly come to mind.

Let us bask in this championship for some time, but the offseason discussion heading into next Fall about who is going to step up to fill the void left by the 10 seniors should be fun.
                    Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                      With all of the attention being paid towards the 10 seniors (and rightfully so), it hasn't been mentioned how great some of our freshmen played this weekend and the importance of this point by KRB. Erickson and Jackson particularly come to mind.

Let us bask in this championship for some time, but the offseason discussion heading into next Fall about who is going to step up to fill the void left by the 10 seniors should be fun.
                      Indeed. I've got to believe another national championship will be good for recruiting! I've heard rumors of at least one transfer. For the time being, I think it wise to allow that to remain a rumor. Wouldn't want to raise the ire of Mr. McShane!

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post

Yes, 100%. I was surprised with the poise from some of the Freshmen. Jackson in particular amazed me, don't know if he made a bad play all weekend. Gotta love the younger guys getting experience through the playoffs and this should definitely help with recruiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
                          You know McShane, he's the chap who just earned his fifth DIII Coach of Year Award to put next to the ones I believe he earned in DI. Carry on KRBFLINT03---i like your style.
                          For accuracy, he earned a New England Hockey coach of the year in D1, the rest were DIII.
                          More telling, I think, is that his former assistants who have gone on to be head coaches have won several D1 Penrose awards, as well as 3 Women's DIII COTY awards.
                          Go 'Wick!

Comment

Congratulations to the Norwich Cadets on their 4th NCAA Championship!
                            Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Comment

• Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
                              However... our strength of schedule would have been much higher had we played Oswego at Norwich's tournament.
                              I believe Williams ended the year with a much higher SOS than Oswego, so it should have been better to play them..
                              Last edited by jerrynu26; 03-27-2017, 01:35 PM.
                              Go 'Wick!

Comment

So does any body know where to get the videos of the semi final match and can we here a replay of George calling the games? Please advise!

Comment

Working...
                                X